I'm out the hood.

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

Originally Posted by Roc Boy Jada

Congrats, man. Nobody wants to be around [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]ignorant people and a bunch of criminals[/color]. One of the last places you want a child to be raised. [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Hoodrats, drug-dealers, dudes who victimize people just for the hell of it, children getting involved in illegal activity[/color], etc. Absolutely not a place for a child, or any human, actually.
Riggghhttttt...because the type of people and the various activities you just described are exclusive to the "hood" milieu...
eyes.gif

You've got a lot of learning to do if that's your mentality.

Obviously, they aren't exclusive to the hood, but it's no secret that those activities are more prevalent in those crappy areas.

If you seriously believe that "those activities are more prevalent in those crappy areas", then I'm fully convinced that you do, indeed, have a lot of learning to do.

But then again, what do you care? You seem to be the type (though I could be wrong) that doggedly sticks to his opinions, irrespective of how inaccurate (and possibly biased) they may--word to the gross generalizations, based off the activities of a few, you just ascribed to whole communities of people/individuals.

Wow you really believe that hoods dont have a greater prevalence of crime than the burbs? Of course no place is going to be free of crime etc but for the most part the burbs are a safer place to raise your family

Originally Posted by Boilermaker X

Dear friends, this has been a very big year for me.  My daughter was born slightly prematurely last May (during the time I was conducting the NikeTalk Census) and within an hour of her birth my priorities changed.  Making life better for her and us became more important than anything else and the idea of bringing home this tiny baby to grow up in the same type of neighborhood that I grew up in almost broke my heart.  I have a good career, money isn't an issue, and there just weren't any good reasons to keep living where I was when I could give her something much safer.

Well, it's taken over thirty years and more blood, sweat, and tears than anyone will ever know but last fall I closed on my own little piece of sanctity out in hideyhttp://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2009/snapshots/PL3983342.html-ho-neighborino suburbia.  This is a different world.  People introduce themselves and say hello when they pass you on the street.  People cut the grass and rake the yard.  They collect recyclables with the trash.  Yesterday was sunny and there were parents at the playground with their kids.  Spent 10 minutes watching a dad teach a kid how to shoot free throws like I was watching a documentary on parenting.  The schools and libraries are INCREDIBLE. 

After everything I've been through to get where I am in life today, I am DONE with living in the hood.  People talk about home prices like they're strictly an investment vehicle and I am here to tell you that the intangible benefits of where you live go far beyond the dollar value someone places on your home.  The sense of peace that I feel coming home every night to a safe place surrounded by people that care about their neighborhood and city is both entirely new and deeply comforting.  My daughter is going to grow up in a bougie neighborhood thinking poor means you don't have two SUVs and a plasma screen in your bedroom, but if that means she doesn't have to grow up in a place like I did then it's a trade-off I'm willing to accept.  My friends, air has never smelled so sweet nor sleep been so sound as when you aren't worrying about protecting the ones you love from the world outside your walls. 

THIS GUYS GETS IT!!! Congrats on you and your fam man, hope I there one day
happy.gif
(family part I mean)

I live in the middle of nowhere and I love it! I don't freak out when I forget to lock my front door---cuz I know don't nobody give a @++%. My purse is inside my car right now, and I'm cool with that.  I have a garage to park my car in when the weather is bad.  I saw a man (black at that) walking his kids down the block and one of them was on like a power wheel or something.  I don't see graffiti...I don't see liquor stores and churches all over the place.  I don't feel uneasy when I drive down the street.  I don't see cops on my street a lot

There is relatively NO noise, which is the BEST part.  I love South Central...."BUT I KILL 'EM DEAD BEFORE I LET HIM BEAT ME!"
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
My homegirls is stuck on that LA %$!#...datin' innas that used to bang and what not
smh.gif
I don't get it. 

Originally Posted by UTVOL23

Congrats, man. Nobody wants to be around [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]ignorant people and a bunch of criminals[/color]. One of the last places you want a child to be raised. [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Hoodrats, drug-dealers, dudes who victimize people just for the hell of it, children getting involved in illegal activity[/color], etc. Absolutely not a place for a child, or any human, actually.
Riggghhttttt...because the type of people and the various activities you just described are exclusive to the "hood" milieu...
eyes.gif

Obviously, they aren't exclusive to the hood, but it's no secret that those activities are more prevalent in those crappy areas.

If you seriously believe that "those activities are more prevalent in those crappy areas", then I'm fully convinced that you do, indeed, have a lot of learning to do.

But then again, what do you care? You seem to be the type (though I could be wrong) that doggedly sticks to his opinions, irrespective of how inaccurate (and possibly biased) they may--word to the gross generalizations, based off the activities of a few, you just ascribed to whole communities of people/individuals.

Wow you really believe that hoods dont have a greater prevalence of crime than the burbs? Of course no place is going to be free of crime etc but for the most part the burbs are a safer place to raise your family

Crime was not the issue at the heart of our (me and R.B.Jada) discussion, and I never stated, or implied, that the "hood" was better and/or preferable than the 'burbs when it came down to matters of safety.

Everything I've typed out/said is in response to the underlined-bold-red generalizations in R.C. Jada's og post.

That said, refrain from making this something it's not or ever was...
eyes.gif

congrats OP, my neighborhood is only a notch away from your former...i'm searching for my piece of suburbia for the twins as we speak...your lil girl can be proud she has a daddy that cares

God's blessings to you and your family

I hope the OP reads this.......

My family made a similar move years ago....all i can say is that the burbs have pitfalls too......dont get me wrong the pros far outweigh the cons......but the things that happen in the burbs can get kids caught up just as easy as kids of the city, just different situations.....

keep a watchful eye and enjoy your move my friend, always remind your child where you came from and how hard it was to live......Now its time to build for the future of your family!!!!

Make sure you take her to the hood on weekends to get haircuts and knockoff a few liquors stores. Can't forgot where she came from!

My daughter is going to grow up in a bougie neighborhood thinking poormeans you don't have two SUVs and a plasma screen in your bedroom,
Hopefully she'll learn better than that. But I'm really happy for you man. Congratulations!

I've lived in both suburbs and the hood (not since I was 11 though), and besides the violence, ive met far more hard drug users and criminals here than anywhere else. And whats ironic is how they complain how everything is "ghetto"
laugh.gif
Rich suburban kids are the worst.

I agree with you in a way OP, about all the negative aspects of life in the hood. But it just makes me cringe inside just typing that because I feel hood life definitely had me on guard in certain areas, and sometimes it didn't have me like that in "rough" neighborhoods. There were pockets of good and bad where I grew up, but people did know each other as neighbors, and looked out for each other. I'm 30, and just recently moved out of Oakland, and have been living in a rural neighborhood for only 2 months. I have to admit, the neighbors are definitely a little more nicer. They've even helped out during tough situations since I've been here. Like this one neighbor, offering to tow the work truck when it broke down, with his AAA card. And all the neighbors have been more than welcoming. I'm just conflicted inside because I feel if I put down where I came from, then I'm just really putting down myself because all those experiences that are negative and positive in the hood, have made me who I am. I just don't want to be one of those hood folks that moved out and start thinking he's the sh..... And nowhere did you say that in your post, but I feel it could lead to that for me if I start shtting on my old spot that I use to live at. But I definitely understand how appreciative you feel to be safe without a worry in sight, it's such a feeling of accomplishment, and peace of mind at night. Congratulations to you, and may your new family enjoy the fruits of your labor.

its strange...people that grew up in the hood want to get out asap, but you got kids in the burbs glamorizing and want to live that life so bad till they get a reality check.
laugh.gif

eyes.gif

Yes, I seriously do believe those activities are more prevalent in the hood. So tell me, how do I have a lot of learning to do?

Ifyou believe those activities are just as prevalent in any otherresidential setting, then that area must be the hood. I'm not sure whatplaces could possibly not be considered the hood, and still have anabundance of the mentioned activities.

Back
Top Bottom