Im sorry but Dennis Scott is unwatchable (nba tv)

great role player back in the day for the penny/shaq magic, but this NBA tv thing is an example of how on-court skills dont automatically translate to media gigs. Probably doesnt need its own thread so feel free to make it about the current generation of ex players trying to maintain careers off the court if you need to, frankly though this is a long time coming. 

laugh.gif
smh.gif
foreal, I was like how this dude get on NBATV? He need to go back to doing low budget condom ads in the back of the SOURCE and XXL

Originally Posted by youngmoney15

He is not that bad.

This.

His interview skills need work. Otherwise, he is actually coming along nicely. I mean he works mostly with Rick Kamla. Things could be a lot worse.

He needs to get back on that coke habit.

Probably help him drop some pounds, too...

Yea I was watching the opening to NBA Gametime (before the cavs game) and the Kamla, Scott, and Steve Smith. The latter two talking about "being open" all night for Kamla's "pass" was pretty painful to watch. I'm still grateful I get NBATV though.

He's learning. He always rocks nice kicks on Tuesdays.

Anyone remember that incident he had at that summer camp? Dude was dancin' and prancin' shouting about his contract etc? This happened in '96. Those kids were petrified.
laugh.gif

[h1]
[h1]A Very Bad Rap[/h1]
[h4]Recent Cheap Seats[/h4]
Send a Letter to the Editor
[h2]Post-Sports Machine America is so addicted to highlights that if you don't get it on tape, it didn't happen. You've got to give 'em a clip.[/h2]
By Dave McKenna
Jul. 25 - 31, 1997 (Vol. 17, #30)

Last week, Kraig Troxell did just that.

And that's why Dennis Scott rates as Joke Butt Numero Uno on sports radio talk shows everywhere. What's more, thanks mainly to Troxell, the former Flint Hill product and current Orlando Magic star is already out tens of thousands of dollars. The now certifiably mad bomber's reputation suffered damage that may prove terminal—again, not so much for what Scott did, but because Troxell, like a cable-access Zapruder, was there to document it.

For the unaware, Scott recently pulled a Martin Lawrence, publicly losing his lucidity during the Dennis Scott Basketball Camp, a five-day program named in honor of the best player Leesburg ever produced.

All week long, Scott had mentored 172 local youngsters at Park View High School in Sterling on the fine points of the game, just as he was supposed to. But on the final day, during what was billed as a motivational lecture, Scott veered waaaay off the program.

Troxell, 24, shoots for Channel 3/Loudoun TV, a meager in-house station on Cablevision of Loudoun. It's his first job in television. He brought a camera and microphone to Park View not to get soundbites from Scott but to follow up a tip that Shaquille O'Neal would do a walk-on at his former teammate's camp. Jerry Stackhouse, the Philadelphia 76ers guard, had made an appearance earlier in the week, so the O'Neal rumors weren't outrageous.

Troxell looked around for O'Neal's big footprints upon arriving at Park View but saw none, so he went about setting up his equipment without any urgency. But when he heard what Scott was imparting to the very young and captive congregation, Troxell made haste.

"I wasn't really paying attention until I heard [Scott] say, 'I'm going to give my own concert! I'm going to give my own concert!'" Troxell recalls. "And then he walks up to this little kid who couldn't have been more than 7 or 8 years old, and he yells, 'Barney can do it!' That's when I started thinking something really bizarre was happening."

That's also when Troxell started rolling tape. And by doing so he caught a good part of Scott's odd "concert," which started off with the player lip-syncing all the "%%%#*" and "*#$%@#%" on a rap CD that blared from speakers in his nearby 4X4 while doing a gangsta stomp in front of the youngsters. To show he's more than a profane Milli Vanilli, Scott added his own wrathful libretto to the pre-recorded vulgarities, lecturing the fearful kids not to bother asking for his autograph but to instead "ask about the rage inside of me." The cause of Scott's rage seemed obvious when he turned his tirade into a "Just Say Mo'" pitch—as in mo' money—by accusing the Magic's management of disrespecting him by asking him to honor his still-valid contract with the team. That pact pays him $3 million a year. Considering that Scott had about the same shooting percentage last year as Cigar, that's not a bad piece of change.

At the end of his rant, Scott signaled to a buddy, and the two of them jumped into his noisy truck and got the hell out of Sterling, leaving behind a lot of confused looks. And not just on kids' faces: Camp counselors, not sure what they had just witnessed, herded the shellshocked campers inside a gymnasium as soon as Scott fled the scene. County rec officials refused to allow Troxell to tape that counseling session, during which they decided to cancel what was left of Scott's camp.

Being shut out of that meeting did little to temper Troxell's delight at having caught Scott's dive off the deep end. With Shaq a no-show, the young cameraman wouldn't have had anything to hand over to his Channel 3 bosses except blank tape had Scott kept his wits.

Troxell had no idea, however, that an audience far beyond the station's reach would be so appreciative of his work. He found out as soon as Channel 3 aired the tape on its daily half-hour news program.

"It got pretty crazy," Troxell says. "All the [D.C.] stations called, and all the Orlando stations called. CNN wanted it. ESPN called. Even Comedy Central wanted my footage."

Channel 3, which doesn't get to deal with the media big boys too often, gave the tape away to all comers. CNN put the footage on its satellite news service so stations everywhere could download it. The national airing of Scott's tour de farce forced his "people" into damage-control mode. The office of superagent David Falk—whose client stable includes Scott, Michael Jordan, and, well, everybody else in the NBA—released a statement in which the player declared that his camp insanity was only temporary and was triggered that fateful morn when somebody asked "whether I had engaged in

drug use."

(If such a question was indeed posed to Scott, Troxell didn't hear it, and he's not alone. "I know what Dennis says happened, but I was there, and I certainly didn't hear anybody ask Dennis Scott about drugs. Not the kids or anybody else. Not during camp," says Chris Leonard, sports program coordinator for Loudoun County Parks, Recreation, and Community Services. Leonard added that when he talked to Scott a few hours after the debacle, the fledgling rapper didn't use drug queries as an excuse for his behavior.)

In his fragmented apology, Scott agreed to refund every paying camper's tuition (30 of the 172 students received scholarships). At $200 per, that comes to $28,400. Within days he had also donated another $3,800 to the county for its youth basketball league, putting his total penance at $32,200. For now, that is. Scott's biggest hurts, however, have yet to come. Wait 'til he feels the heat of NBA fans in opposition arenas next season. Or when he crawls to Magic management begging for that redone contract. Or asks Loudoun County officials if he can hold his camp again.

If it's any consolation to Scott, the guy who taped the rap that got him in the Dogg-house hasn't enjoyed any windfall from his work.

"It's not like I think I'm a big part of the Dennis Scott story, or that I'm famous now," Troxell says. "But my footage is. It's everywhere."—Dave McKenna
[/h1]

SPORTS

[h2]Now Scott Says He Overreacted[/h2]

July 16, 1997 | From Associated Press

Orlando Magic forward Dennis Scott apologized Tuesday for an outburst before a group of children at a summer camp in Virginia, saying he overreacted to a question about whether he has used drugs. "At my own basketball camp, and in front of my 10-year-old [son] Ryan, I was asked whether I had engaged in drug use," Scott said in a statement released Tuesday through his agent, David Falk. "Naturally I was both shocked and embarrassed that I was questioned about drugs in front of my son.

dennis scott isn't that bad to me. You have to give these new cats sometime to get comfortable and find there style. Cris webber was horribe when he first started and now his personality comes through and he's one of my favorites.

Dennis Scott's style as of now is total non-objective optimism. Just smiles at the camera and gives no analysis whatsoever.

am i the only one that loves his fantasy segments? he's no charles barkley but he gets a
laugh.gif
outta me once in a while

The whole NBATV crew this season is basura !

Kevin McHale, Cheryl Miller, Dennis Scott, Sean Elliott
sick.gif

Last year NBA Fan night was da bomb with CWebb & GP doing it .

Bruce Bowen anyone? He memorizes his 5 sentences and then yells them into the camera. So unnatural.

Back
Top Bottom