Improving your basketball skills after 25 (serious topic)

Been awhile since I've been on here, so I'll get right to it. I just turned 27 a couple months ago and I've been playing basketball competitively since high school. While loving the game, I was never quite good enough to be on the team in school. Fast forward a few years after high school and I've noticed that many of my peers have: A)Lost interest in the game B)"Life Happened" to them and put them in situations that don't allow them to hoop like they used to or C)Just let themselves go by getting out of shape
laugh.gif
 Meanwhile I kept playing and kept improving.
I said all that to say this: I feel as if I STILL haven't reached my peak as a player. The reason I mention this is because at my age I've been blessed not to have any major injuries or setbacks. I participate in local rec leagues and quality pick-up games with the majority of players having been standout players in high school or college, some even played a little professional ball. I more than hold my own in these games, which caused me to realize that I'm still improving. 

I know some of you may be thinking that I'm trying to go to "The League", or brag on myself. Neither is far from the truth. I have a day job (actually two jobs) and I'm not some guy with a pipe dream and looking up in the clouds all day
laugh.gif
 Anyone that knows me personally knows that basketball is a major part of my life, and while I may never play competitively on a high level, that will never change my love for the game. Many people in my age group start to re-consider playing as much or playing at all while I still consider myself a student of the game. I like to use this example: You have guys who are 35 and older trying to improve their golf technique or their skills in tennis, and their not trying to go pro in these sports. What's the problem with a 27 year old man wanting to improve his b-ball skills? 

I feel there's been such a stigma placed on people who share some similarities with me in this regard. I say if you have a passion for something, don't worry about what people may say or think (including some of you who may have jokes about me after reading this) Can anyone relate to what I have discussed or known anyone like this? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Been awhile since I've been on here, so I'll get right to it. I just turned 27 a couple months ago and I've been playing basketball competitively since high school. While loving the game, I was never quite good enough to be on the team in school. Fast forward a few years after high school and I've noticed that many of my peers have: A)Lost interest in the game B)"Life Happened" to them and put them in situations that don't allow them to hoop like they used to or C)Just let themselves go by getting out of shape
laugh.gif
 Meanwhile I kept playing and kept improving.
I said all that to say this: I feel as if I STILL haven't reached my peak as a player. The reason I mention this is because at my age I've been blessed not to have any major injuries or setbacks. I participate in local rec leagues and quality pick-up games with the majority of players having been standout players in high school or college, some even played a little professional ball. I more than hold my own in these games, which caused me to realize that I'm still improving. 

I know some of you may be thinking that I'm trying to go to "The League", or brag on myself. Neither is far from the truth. I have a day job (actually two jobs) and I'm not some guy with a pipe dream and looking up in the clouds all day
laugh.gif
 Anyone that knows me personally knows that basketball is a major part of my life, and while I may never play competitively on a high level, that will never change my love for the game. Many people in my age group start to re-consider playing as much or playing at all while I still consider myself a student of the game. I like to use this example: You have guys who are 35 and older trying to improve their golf technique or their skills in tennis, and their not trying to go pro in these sports. What's the problem with a 27 year old man wanting to improve his b-ball skills? 

I feel there's been such a stigma placed on people who share some similarities with me in this regard. I say if you have a passion for something, don't worry about what people may say or think (including some of you who may have jokes about me after reading this) Can anyone relate to what I have discussed or known anyone like this? Your thoughts are appreciated.

I feel like I could have written what you wrote.

Basketball has become an increasingly important part of my life since first being introduced when I was 13. Now I'm 33, and I would have busted the tail end of the younger, more athletic version of me.
laugh.gif

Like you said, I'm not trying to make the L or anything, but I definitely put in work practicing different things on my own, improving dribbling, keeping the shot on point, working on different moves over and over and over and over again.

Nah I can relate. It's a passion for us. People put time and energy into their passions. Nothing wrong with that.

I feel like I could have written what you wrote.

Basketball has become an increasingly important part of my life since first being introduced when I was 13. Now I'm 33, and I would have busted the tail end of the younger, more athletic version of me.
laugh.gif

Like you said, I'm not trying to make the L or anything, but I definitely put in work practicing different things on my own, improving dribbling, keeping the shot on point, working on different moves over and over and over and over again.

Nah I can relate. It's a passion for us. People put time and energy into their passions. Nothing wrong with that.

Kenny Smith summed it up for me one day. You know how much a man loves the game when there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Rarely do you see dude working on their game when they KNOW they have no chance of making it anywhere, but that is just love. I applaud you man.

Kenny Smith summed it up for me one day. You know how much a man loves the game when there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Rarely do you see dude working on their game when they KNOW they have no chance of making it anywhere, but that is just love. I applaud you man.

Feel the same way. Played all through HS, but got getter as i just played pick up ball and competitive mens leagues years after. I was thinking of trying out one of those better basketball DVD's lol.

Feel the same way. Played all through HS, but got getter as i just played pick up ball and competitive mens leagues years after. I was thinking of trying out one of those better basketball DVD's lol.

Great Thread!!!  I find myself DVRing all the games that Hubie Brown does, because he always says something when he does a game that I can apply to the pickup atmosphere.  No matter the skill level, the new move, tip, etc., is always successful.  I see myself as a student of the game at this point and wonder why sometimes I did not pick up on this stuff when I was younger.  But when you have 26 people on the highschool basketball team. (at my school football players did not get cut, but that is for a different thread/rant for another time)  The coach can't reach everybody.  I find myself playing as much as possible and if it not a group of people where I can learn something from or have a competitive atmosphere, I won't play.  Most of my highschool/college buddies do not play anymore, I hope I can keep this thing going because playing ball several times a week, is really my only interest.  Even though I have gained weight and gotten older I feel that I am WAY better than I was when I relied on nothing but athleticism, One thing I have learned it is a rarity to see a great athlete and a SMART basketball player.  Just getting position on defense, posting up or reading angles correctly makes all the difference in the world.  I always try to learn something new in every game that I play.

Great Thread!!!  I find myself DVRing all the games that Hubie Brown does, because he always says something when he does a game that I can apply to the pickup atmosphere.  No matter the skill level, the new move, tip, etc., is always successful.  I see myself as a student of the game at this point and wonder why sometimes I did not pick up on this stuff when I was younger.  But when you have 26 people on the highschool basketball team. (at my school football players did not get cut, but that is for a different thread/rant for another time)  The coach can't reach everybody.  I find myself playing as much as possible and if it not a group of people where I can learn something from or have a competitive atmosphere, I won't play.  Most of my highschool/college buddies do not play anymore, I hope I can keep this thing going because playing ball several times a week, is really my only interest.  Even though I have gained weight and gotten older I feel that I am WAY better than I was when I relied on nothing but athleticism, One thing I have learned it is a rarity to see a great athlete and a SMART basketball player.  Just getting position on defense, posting up or reading angles correctly makes all the difference in the world.  I always try to learn something new in every game that I play.

Just for the love of the game...

I feel like i can make it "somewhere" if im 6'7 ..6'8 .. oh well
laugh.gif

Just for the love of the game...

I feel like i can make it "somewhere" if im 6'7 ..6'8 .. oh well
laugh.gif

My man.

I'm 28, and just started playing in rec leagues again with my buddies from high school. We all played low level college ball and it's fun as hell right now. We all got egos and stopped playing with each other years ago. We used to own leagues when we were younger and in shape. We don't jump like we used to, but kept ourselves in decent shape. Mostly cuz we all play in one way or another all the time. I definitely feel like a smarter player and my knees don't allow me to play D like I used to, but we try to find the right matchups. We are having fun like never before even though we're in third place.

The best open gym I go to has maybe 3 guys under 30 in it. It's all guys in their 30's, 40's and 50's. 16 guys show up every week and play games up to 32. Each team has subs so no one waits to play. It's intense and everyone played ball at some level. So while it's not as fast as it could be, it is definitely more intense because of the emphasis on movement, screens and D. I love watching NBA games, too. Still catch myself trying to copy something I saw like I used to in my teens after watching the NBA on NBC

*CUE NBA ON NBC THEME*

My man.

I'm 28, and just started playing in rec leagues again with my buddies from high school. We all played low level college ball and it's fun as hell right now. We all got egos and stopped playing with each other years ago. We used to own leagues when we were younger and in shape. We don't jump like we used to, but kept ourselves in decent shape. Mostly cuz we all play in one way or another all the time. I definitely feel like a smarter player and my knees don't allow me to play D like I used to, but we try to find the right matchups. We are having fun like never before even though we're in third place.

The best open gym I go to has maybe 3 guys under 30 in it. It's all guys in their 30's, 40's and 50's. 16 guys show up every week and play games up to 32. Each team has subs so no one waits to play. It's intense and everyone played ball at some level. So while it's not as fast as it could be, it is definitely more intense because of the emphasis on movement, screens and D. I love watching NBA games, too. Still catch myself trying to copy something I saw like I used to in my teens after watching the NBA on NBC

*CUE NBA ON NBC THEME*

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

pimp.gif

At least you guys still have old friends who are willing to join a league with you. My friends are bums and lazy. I need to join an adult league because im bore of pick up games. Anyone know any adult league in Orange County , CA ?

At least you guys still have old friends who are willing to join a league with you. My friends are bums and lazy. I need to join an adult league because im bore of pick up games. Anyone know any adult league in Orange County , CA ?

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

If you're Asian,  ABA in Anaheim.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

If you're Asian,  ABA in Anaheim.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I don't see anything wrong in trying to improve at that age while knowing you won't make it to the NBA...

Alot of dudes play video games 24/7, what's wrong with picking up a sport and get a workout at the same time ?

I don't see anything wrong in trying to improve at that age while knowing you won't make it to the NBA...

Alot of dudes play video games 24/7, what's wrong with picking up a sport and get a workout at the same time ?

I still put my cleats on every summer and work on my back pedal (used to play corner) just for the love of it and just to clear my mind also. My friends and I still do competitive 1 on 1's in the summer. Nothing wrong with working on your game at all regardless of age

Back
Top Bottom