In Heroin Crisis, White Families Seek Gentler War on Drugs

When the nation’s long-running war against drugs was defined by the crack epidemic and based in poor, predominantly black urban areas, the public response was defined by zero tolerance and stiff prison sentences. But today’s heroin crisis is different. While heroin use has climbed among all demographic groups, it has skyrocketed among whites; nearly 90 percent of those who tried heroin for the first time in the last decade were white.

And the growing army of families of those lost to heroin — many of them in the suburbs and small towns — are now using their influence, anger and grief to cushion the country’s approach to drugs, from altering the language around addiction to prodding government to treat it not as a crime, but as a disease.

“Because the demographic of people affected are more white, more middle class, these are parents who are empowered,” said Michael Botticelli, director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, better known as the nation’s drug czar. “They know how to call a legislator, they know how to get angry with their insurance company, they know how to advocate. They have been so instrumental in changing the conversation.”

Last week, President Obama traveled to West Virginia, a mostly white state with high levels of overdoses, to discuss his $133 million proposal to expand access for drug treatment and prevention programs. The Justice Department is also preparing to release roughly 6,000 inmates from federal prisons as part of an effort to roll back the severe penalties issued to nonviolent drug dealers in decades past.

And in one of the most striking shifts in this new era, some local police departments have stopped punishing many heroin users. In Gloucester, Mass., those who walk into the police station and ask for help, even if they are carrying drugs or needles, are no longer arrested. Instead, they are diverted to treatment, despite questions about the police departments’ unilateral authority to do so. It is an approach being replicated by three dozen other police departments around the country.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/31/us/heroin-war-on-drugs-parents.html?_r=0

:smh:

:wow: The war on drugs was cool until it effected the suburbs?

Lets just hope this spreads to all locations and demographics. I'm not surprised.

We wanted drug law reforms and this is the unfortunate path that it took to get there. Hurts tho. :smh:

eek.gif
The war on drugs was cool until it effected the suburbs?

Lets just hope this spreads to all locations and demographics. I'm not surprised.

We wanted drug law reforms and this is the unfortunate path that it took to get there. Hurts tho.
mean.gif
Eggsactly 

Heroin is worse in that area than in the city if live in west v , southern ohio, Kentucky you know what in talkin about

And in one of the most striking shifts in this new era, some local police departments have stopped punishing many heroin users. In Gloucester, Mass., those who walk into the police station and ask for help, even if they are carrying drugs or needles, are no longer arrested. Instead, they are diverted to treatment, despite questions about the police departments’ unilateral authority to do so. It is an approach being replicated by three dozen other police departments around the country.

This is what needs to happen everywhere with all drugs. Why punish someone who is seeking help?

Last edited:
Was just talkin to my boy about going into the rich predominantly white area of town and makin BANK off of selling heroin out there...

Read about this, and I find it funny in a way. This needs to be exposed every chance possible but the people who like to talk about equality won't pick this up.

White power smh

Their land, their rules.

Marcus Garvey was right

Not even their land which is the worst part. Def contemplating selling heroin for a couple months to the rich white yuppies in Buckhead. Their communities will still be standing and they get free treatment as opposed to 20 years of jail time and broken homes...

Last edited:
When Black people were suffering from the crack epidemic, America said "Lock them up, they're criminals."

Now, when this epidemic hits white suburbia, all of sudden, the epidemic is not a crime but a disease. :smh:

America isn't for us.

“The way I look at addiction now is completely different,” Mr. Adams said. “I can’t tell you what changed inside of me, but these are people and they have a purpose in life and we can’t as law enforcement look at them any other way. They are committing crimes to feed their addiction, plain and simple. They need help.”

OK Mr. Adams. You don't know what changed?

Last edited:
When Black people were suffering from the crack epidemic, America said "Lock them up, they're criminals."

Now, when this epidemic hits white suburbia, all of sudden, the epidemic is not a crime but a disease. :smh:

America isn't for us.

They don't like us here fam, it's cool though. Just came back from Ghana not too long ago and it's beautiful! Lots of great business opportunities there. One of my uncles out there is whippin a Maserati. Another one is whippin a land rover. Paid for with cash. Africa is where the money is right now.

America isn't for us.

They don't like us here fam, it's cool though. Just came back from Ghana not too long ago and it's beautiful! Lots of great business opportunities there. One of my uncles out there is whippin a Maserati. Another one is whippin a land rover. Paid for with cash. Africa is where the money is right now.

I read this in Rico's voice talkin about D.C. :lol:

But this also shines light on another issue, actually two, 1. Money is being pushed to make changes that benefit the certain people and 2. certain people love playing victim and acting like some things are new and never seen before.

Agreed with homie that said this place isn't for us. As I get older, I'm starting to really question whether I could actually start a family here. What are some other countries you all would move to if given the opportunity? :nerd:

Last edited:

I was in Nigeria in april-may. My parents are from there and honestly I am getting my architectural license, learning the ropes and moving there when my parents retire. Deign and build over there god willing :pimp:. That sickness of assimilating/ being a second class citizen/ constant BS we have to deal with completely subsides and washes away when you're over there. Dont get me wrong every place has problems but at least its problems with my people :pimp:.

Agreed with homie that said this place isn't for us. As I get older, I'm starting to really question whether I could actually start a family here. What are some other countries you all would move to if given the opportunity? :nerd:

Kano Nigera will always welcome you brother. Abuja and Lagos if youre about that major city life.

A lot of places in Ghana like the one brother mentioned but i am not too familiar.

You can point to the whiteness and blackness of the differing approaches on the War on Drugs all you want. What's not really discussed is that the nation as a whole has a different view of addiction. This change is welcome. It's unfortunate that it didn't happen earlier, but the climate has changed a lot. Addicts aren't viewed the same as they once were. Maybe it's because more are white now, I don't know. Maybe it's because so many of the drugs abused are prescription. Maybe it's because there are reality TV shows focused on helping people get help instead of imprisoning them. I don't know, but this is a welcome change regardless of who the poster children are.

Back
Top Bottom