In India right now...

Just got here. Anyone ever been here before? Any must-see and must-do things or places?
I have a month and a backpackers budget.

:smokin

I think it would have been better if you started this thread before you got there 
laugh.gif

What city are you in?

Obligatory visit to the Tah Mahal in Agra is a must, do not go around Christmas time because it is packed due to the Christmas Holiday.

Also, most historic sites throughout India have two separate entrances and entrance fees, one for non-Indians and one for Indians. The non-Indian lines are often significantly shorter, but the admission fee is more expensive (overall still relatively inexpensive compared to anything in the US). Also, you can find and hire tour guides who will take you around all day for a nominal fee. I paid a rickshaw driver like 500 rupees to drive me around all day, like literally be my personal taxi service when i was in Delhi, and he showed me around the sights and sounds that are famous as well as some of the lesser known spots.

I love Mumbai (formerly known as Bombay), probably my favorite city to visit. Lots of historic sightseeing to do, and also it's one of the more cosmopolitan cities over there. Definitely go peep the Elephanta Caves, worth the boat ride.

Best way to get around city to city is via trains, and train rates differ depending on compartment and amenities--like air conditioning, private room, etc etc. 2AC and 1AC are the way to go IMO. Just be aware of your stuff when riding trains (or anywhere else in person), I didn't really encounter any issues with theft during any of my visits, but I was also extra cautious. I would avoid renting a car at all costs, not worth it, travel via train and taxi/rickshaws.

Tipping is not required in India, but appreciated. I am guessing the exchange rate is probably somewhere between 40 to 45 rupees per dollar, and I tipped 20% but that was overkill. I would venture that most ppl tip 10% or less (if at all), and that is more than acceptable. Always used rupees and always have small denominations, for Indians love to tell you they don't have change so you just have to pay with bigger bills and give them the extra $.

I love Rajasthan as well--Jaipur is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been to. Delhi is great too, as are numerous other cities. Really depends on what you want to see/what you are interested in.

Not that many bars or clubs/drinking/partying scene, but there are spots. Very different than the US. Not that socially accepted to go out and drink, esp. for females. Bigger cities such as Mumbai and Delhi will give you the most options for this kinda stuff.

Food is great everywhere, one of the best aspects of visiting India. Everything is relatively cheap for the most part, and bargaining is a way of life (you can literally bargain on any and everything you are buying). Everyone there is going to hit you with bs prices for stuff anyhow, because you are a foreigner (automatic price increase).

Hmm...I'm sure there is more. If you got any other questions, let me know.

........all this is coming from an Indian (born in the U.S.) who has visited India frequently and most recently in 2010.

What my fellow Indian said above, I go almost yearly, but usually around the capital city of Delhi. Make sure you hit up the main touristy spots, Taj, India Gate, Red Fort, etc...If you want a more "spiritual" experience, go to some religious areas such as Haridwar, also participate in the pilgrimage along Vaishno Devi which I did last time and was amazing. 

For a club/nightlife scene there are definitely some spots around Delhi to check out, with some baddd females who come through to the clubs. Most of the time you can't come inside with a crew of dudes you need some girls to come with you. Hit up Select Citywalk mall for high end shopping (lv gucci zara etc)

Last edited:
What city are you in?

Obligatory visit to the Tah Mahal in Agra is a must, do not go around Christmas time because it is packed due to the Christmas Holiday.

Also, most historic sites throughout India have two separate entrances and entrance fees, one for non-Indians and one for Indians. The non-Indian lines are often significantly shorter, but the admission fee is more expensive (overall still relatively inexpensive compared to anything in the US). Also, you can find and hire tour guides who will take you around all day for a nominal fee. I paid a rickshaw driver like 500 rupees to drive me around all day, like literally be my personal taxi service when i was in Delhi, and he showed me around the sights and sounds that are famous as well as some of the lesser known spots.

I love Mumbai (formerly known as Bombay), probably my favorite city to visit. Lots of historic sightseeing to do, and also it's one of the more cosmopolitan cities over there. Definitely go peep the Elephanta Caves, worth the boat ride.

Best way to get around city to city is via trains, and train rates differ depending on compartment and amenities--like air conditioning, private room, etc etc. 2AC and 1AC are the way to go IMO. Just be aware of your stuff when riding trains (or anywhere else in person), I didn't really encounter any issues with theft during any of my visits, but I was also extra cautious. I would avoid renting a car at all costs, not worth it, travel via train and taxi/rickshaws.

Tipping is not required in India, but appreciated. I am guessing the exchange rate is probably somewhere between 40 to 45 rupees per dollar, and I tipped 20% but that was overkill. I would venture that most ppl tip 10% or less (if at all), and that is more than acceptable. Always used rupees and always have small denominations, for Indians love to tell you they don't have change so you just have to pay with bigger bills and give them the extra $.

I love Rajasthan as well--Jaipur is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been to. Delhi is great too, as are numerous other cities. Really depends on what you want to see/what you are interested in.

Not that many bars or clubs/drinking/partying scene, but there are spots. Very different than the US. Not that socially accepted to go out and drink, esp. for females. Bigger cities such as Mumbai and Delhi will give you the most options for this kinda stuff.

Food is great everywhere, one of the best aspects of visiting India. Everything is relatively cheap for the most part, and bargaining is a way of life (you can literally bargain on any and everything you are buying). Everyone there is going to hit you with bs prices for stuff anyhow, because you are a foreigner (automatic price increase).

Hmm...I'm sure there is more. If you got any other questions, let me know.

........all this is coming from an Indian (born in the U.S.) who has visited India frequently and most recently in 2010.

Thanks fambs. How is Hampi? Where is the best place to drop acid?

My home country :smokin

Haven't been in a long long time though. Post up pics when you get a chance.

Man India won't let me get a visa just because my parents were born in Pakistan even though I was born here and my wife is Indian. I'd love to travel through India

Damn, can I get an Indian NTer roll call? :nerd: Didn't know there were many if any of yall on here.

Will say as far as it goes as different regions/nationalities/ethnicities/cultures despite being in NYC Indians from India are some I'm least familiar with. I did watch that Gandhi movie last night though :pimp: :smh:

Back
Top Bottom