In terms of who has made better music Jay-z or Kanye?

^^^ This. Me and my friend have been debating this quite some time and i personally would take Jay-z over Kanye any day without any hesitation. 

Kanye... Lyrically nice and he produces most of his music...

I mean... Jay raps, but thats it... Give Hov wack beats his whole career, he'd be a another Jadakiss.....Dope lyrics...wack beats

Opinion.

As of right now looking at the entire career I'd pick Jay but judging off Graduation-808s-MBDTF compared to Kingdom Come-AG- BP3 its clear to me my answer will change in 3 years

Kanye is the more complete artist, but Hov's thought process never ceases to amaze me.

Just by looking at some of the responses in here shows me you guys were not allowed to listen to rap music
pre 2000.

I guess in "NT land" Lil B, Kanye, Lil Wayne, and Drake are the best rappers ever too.
laugh.gif

Reasonable Doubt, In My Lifetime Vol. 1-3 >>>>>>>>>>> ANYTHING Kanye will EVER put out.

Originally Posted by cmoneymontana

Just by looking at some of the responses in here shows me you guys were not allowed to listen to rap music
pre 2000.

I guess in "NT land" Lil B, Kanye, Lil Wayne, and Drake are the best rappers ever too.
laugh.gif

Reasonable Doubt, In My Lifetime Vol. 1-3 >>>>>>>>>>> ANYTHING Kanye will EVER put out.

JustBlaze and Kanye played a Big part of Hov's career musically in the Post-Dynasty era...The era where people started labeling Hov as "The greatest rapper"

Producers don't get enough credit... I'd say 40% of why we think rappers are nice is because of the Production...

Not taking away from Hov's lyrical skills... I'm just saying, We're taking about artists as "Musicians", not "lyricist"

'Ye makes better music as a whole, Period...

Personally, I don't think there is any Hip Hop artist that's ahead of Kanye, musically.

Jay is a better lyricist obviously. I don't even see how that's debatable.

Jay-z is the better rapper/lyricist...I guess you could say Kanye is the better artist overall.

Regardless, they are both incredibly overrated to me imo

Its a tough question because Ye is a producer & rapper, while Jay is a rapper...

If you look at both their careers though I still have to take Jay... The classics he put out during the 90's were
eek.gif
Plus, he's still doing it today, which is more than what a lot of other rappers can say.

Even if you don't look at their whole careers, but just their primes, I'd still have to take Jay...

pre 2000.

Pretty much.

Reasonable Doubt, In My Lifetime, Hard Knock Life Vol. 2, Life & Times of S.Carter, The Dynasty, Blueprint, American Gangster >>>>>>>>>> College Dropout, Late Registration, & Graduation

Jay-Z's best vs Kanye's best...Jay-Z wins. We're not talking about "if you take the beats from this cd, and you put it the this cd" or "Kanye produced some of Jay-Z's stuff", it's the
artists' work within that cd/album, and Jay-Z wins.

jay-z, and its not even close.

start from the beginning of their catalogs and listen through, and you'll know its not even up for debate.

Yeah this is all opinion.

But I will say its Jay for me. The depth of the lyrics, the span of time, the consistency, the hits.

Both have made entertaining and inspirational music...Jay just been doing it longer and has more variety IMO

This isn't a fair competition because Sean doesn't produce. Kanye would easily win this.

But i'll say lyrically, Hova.

Kanye is in his own category & lane. Best overall artist in Hip-Hop.

As stated above its a matter of opinion,its crazy that kanye writes & produces his music, & his growth in both are truly amazing,but jigga's flow,wordplay,ability to stay relevant,& classic body of work still outweighs kanye.I just feel like jay is one of the few last great mc's remaining.

Originally Posted by Ace Rawstein

But I will say its Jay for me. The depth of the lyrics, the span of time, the consistency, the hits.

Both have made entertaining and inspirational music...Jay just been doing it longer and has more variety IMO
Jay has more variety than 'Ye??

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

pre 2000.

laugh.gif

JustBlaze and Kanye played a Big part of Hov's career musically in the Post-Dynasty era...The era where people started labeling Hov as "The greatest rapper"

Producers don't get enough credit... I'd say 40% of why we think rappers are nice is because of the Production...

Not taking away from Hov's lyrical skills... I'm just saying, We're taking about artists as "Musicians", not "lyricist"

You have to be young, or did not listen to rap in the 90's.

After 2pac, and Biggie died, Jay-Z already had that label. When Vol. 3 dropped, and big pimpin' caught steam, there was no one bigger then
Hov. Kanye and Just Blaze were no where near any Jay project. He held that spot until Nas dropped Stillmatic.

I can respect your opinion, but you might need to listen to Jay-Z's first four albums, if you have not already. You can even throw the Streets
is Watching soundtrack in there as well.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Rolaholic

Jay has more variety than 'Ye??
Autotune does not count.
laugh.gif

Quiet as kept, kanye often has others helping with his production. I know for a fact Jon Brion co-produced pretty much all of Late Registration, he frequently works with plain pat and mr. hudson. Toomp did Can't Tell Me Nothin', Good Life and Big Brother.

kanye flips samples well, but he's not the one man production machine you all make him out to be.

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

pre 2000.

laugh.gif

You have to be young, or did not listen to rap in the 90's.

After 2pac, and Biggie died, Jay-Z already had that label. When Vol. 3 dropped, and big pimpin' caught steam, there was no one bigger then
Hov. Kanye and Just Blaze were no where near any Jay project. He held that spot until Nas dropped Stillmatic.

I can respect your opinion, but you might need to listen to Jay-Z's first four albums, if you have not already. You can even throw the Streets
is Watching soundtrack in there as well.
wink.gif
Give eminem his credit, marshall mathers LP was EVERYWHERE.

What? Have you heard kanye's production? His progression is ridiculous. Don't discredit kanye's variety in subject matter either.

I've had this argument countless of times & I always go with Kanye. But like always, it's your opinion. I have my reasons why & arguments to back it up...

Back
Top Bottom