In the Market for a New Laptop

So I know there are some good deal finders on NT, but also some wise men.

I'm in the market for a new laptop as my current macbook is over eight years old and not performing as well as I want it to anymore.

I use my laptop daily, used for writing, internet, film watching and more. I don't play games or edit music, but I do store a good amount of music on my computer.

I'm not necessarily looking to stick to a macbook as I'm open to all suggestion for the best laptop in general or what's up and coming, good value etc.

I would like if possible to stick with the macbook chic--let style keyboard as I loved it.

Some suggestions I've gotten so far have been a Dell Latitude E6530.

I appreciate the help fellas.

Price range is capped at about $1,300 and if possible to be well under that.

Whatever Mac that in your budget. Also you can find at some Best Buys open box prices are pretty good.

Stay with the MacBook fam, I'm the only few people in my class with a MacBook and it seem like everyone was struggling with there PC to use internet-wise while I was just chillin doing my work on the net. My POV is school-wise though

I'd say MacBook Pro. PCs used to last me 3 to 4 years if that before they would start having software and hardware problems.

Only thing a PC has over a Mac is the OS if you need Windows for certain programs, but you can run Windows on Macs through boot camp or Parallels

Short answer: MacBook Pro

MacBook Pro or Air, depending how big of a drive you need. No CD drives anymore but that tech archaic anyway.

i had a macbook for 5 years and i just recently got a macbook air and i love it ive never had an issue with Macs 

if I'm not editing video or music do I really need a macbook pro?

I know it's bigger and has more space but for someone who uses a laptop for writing, net, film watching should i step it up to the pro?

macbook

/thread

This. Got the 15inch 2011 MBP and haven't had a single issue since. The MBP will literally be the last laptop you will ever own. Blows any Windows based laptop out of the water.

if I'm not editing video or music do I really need a macbook pro?

I know it's bigger and has more space but for someone who uses a laptop for writing, net, film watching should i step it up to the pro?

I don't think apple makes the previous version of macbook's anymore unless you buy a refurbished one. A 13inch MBP should be plenty for what you're going to use it for.

The new Acer Inspire is pretty nice.

Lenovo Thinkpads are a nice option as well.

I would look at the 13" air or 13" Pro. The Air is a fast machine with everything be tightly integrated and its obviously small and light. The Pro would have more horsepower and the option of upgrading the HD if need be. Both can be had in the refurb store for around $1000 with upgraded models available as well. I am a sound engineer and have a 2011 15" Pro and 2013 11" Air and the air is honestly a great machine and does everything I need it to.

Im in the same boat. Ive always had windows. How big is the transition from windows to apple? Will I actually have to pay for office which is essential for school? I dont think i ever actually paid for it in my life. Always came with the computer or i got a key online.

Im in the same boat. Ive always had windows. How big is the transition from windows to apple? Will I actually have to pay for office which is essential for school? I dont think i ever actually paid for it in my life. Always came with the computer or i got a key online.

Transition isn't bad.

I have a Macbook but still use a desktop PC for the bulk of my computer stuff.

You can get anything for free.

I would like a bigger screen then my current macbook which I believe is 13.

Like I said I've had this for 8 years, the familiarity and comfort factor are big.

Also - since I'll be transferring data, I'm also looking for an external HD. Is Western Digital the best way to go and is it mac compatible?

I would like a bigger screen then my current macbook which I believe is 13.

Like I said I've had this for 8 years, the familiarity and comfort factor are big.

Also - since I'll be transferring data, I'm also looking for an external HD. Is Western Digital the best way to go and is it mac compatible?

I have a western digital

works fine with my MBP, I think you have to format it but it really takes like 30 seconds and is very simple. Just plug it in and follow instructions.

WD is the apple of the hdd game.

If you value your money, don't cop a macbook air.

Last edited:
I don't need to be sold on a macbook, I have one I know it's great.

I'm more so looking for possible alternative suggestions that are not macbook that would give me more bang for my buck and would be significantly cheaper

Back
Top Bottom