In the past 30 years in the NBA, who are the "once-in-a-generation" talents?

The KD thread started to go all over the place, so let's open this up to guys who have played in the NBA since 1980 that you think are once-in-a-generation talents....

for me, once-in-a-generation means there is no comparable peer currently or in years past...this is whether it's by being unique due to size/skill or pure domination.  Of course this is all subjective, but I'm curious as to who you view in this category. 

here's my list....

-Magic
-Bird
-Jordan
-Barkley
-Shaq
-Iverson
-Lebron
-Durant
-Dirk
-My apologies...Kobe.  Please forgive me. 

*and is it crazy to include a guy like Dennis Rodman on this list? 

I just want to know how you leave THE GREATEST POWER FORWARD OF ALL TIME off your list....

I would think he is a  "once-in-a-generation" talent...Unless Championships mean nothing?...
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

*and is it crazy to include a guy like Dennis Rodman on this list? 
If you're just talking about uniqueness of skillset, then it's not crazy at all. Then again, "once in a generation talent" is a very grand title, and I don't know if someone like Rodman fits the bill. He was a non-factor on the offensive end. And I think someone like Ben Wallace was somewhat similar to Rodman.
I'd add to the list:

-Nash: the poster boy for the "7 seconds or less" philosophy that swept the league in the last decade. Rather unathletic yet sometimes dominant. 

-Duncan: we might never see a big man dominate with fundamentals again. They're all pushed to be dunkers and shots-swatters from an early age. 

-Hakeem: no explanation necessary. 

Lebron and Kevin Durant, everyone else dont matter. hard to find a guy like them two.

yeah, there was no chance people weren't gona miss the point of this thread....

What is with this "one in a generation" term that you've been using lately DJ? Is it just me, but I only use the saying "once in a lifetime" to describe those type players who I really feel like there will never be another of...

Anyhow, I kind of agree with your list but I'd take of Durant and Dirk because both of those guys are similar in the sense that they are both extremely tall big men who shoot the ball extremely well for their size.

Magic, Bird, Jordan, Barkley, Shaq, Iverson, Kobe, Lebron are guys that come to mind for me...no disrespect to anyone not mentioned.

Originally Posted by grittyman20

What is with this "one in a generation" term that you've been using lately DJ? Is it just me, but I only use the saying "once in a lifetime" to describe those type players who I really feel like there will never be another of...

Anyhow, I kind of agree with your list but I'd take of Durant and Dirk because both of those guys are similar in the sense that they are both extremely tall big men who shoot the ball extremely well for their size.

Magic, Bird, Jordan, Barkley, Shaq, Iverson, Kobe, Lebron are guys that come to mind for me...no disrespect to anyone not mentioned.
laugh.gif
I only used the term in the other thread then it got sidetracked into a bunch of other topics.....

Out of curiosity, who would you compare to KD and Dirk?

Why would Nash be on this list when we saw stockton?

And Talent is not the same as accomplishments.

-My apologies...Kobe.  Please forgive me. 
So you're still not going to say Tim Duncan is a "once-in-a-generation" talent?....

024164469fe382d20208c689e0746c062b47af48.gif

Originally Posted by Durden7

This question has all types of flaws, but no nash?

i guess dropping 81 pts and 4 'chips happens every generation
Jordan.

and he's the reason why I left him off in the first place....I can understand both sides of the argument (and I did go back and put him on), but even though it totally contradicts what I said, I feel as though I've seen everything Kobe has done through Michael Jordan in years past.

- Shaq...I don't know if any big man will ever have his combanation of athleticism and strength.
- Bird...Just a supreme feel for the game, and understanding of basketball as a team sport.
- Jordan....Goat
- Barkely....6'5 PF who could just dominate the game offensively.
- 'Bron-...More Athletic than anybody I have ever seen in any sport.
- Dirk...A 7 foot German who could shoot better than anyone else.
- Magic...A point guard who could play center unreal.
- Iverson...5'11 scoring champ, pretty sure dude would be a pro at whatever sport he had choose to focus on.
- Hakeem...Only big man who could have also been a guard.  Best footwork and moves I have ever seen for a big man.
- T-Mac...As Daryl Morey said, T-Mac off talent alone might be one of the 10 best ever.
- Duhon...The ability to not only stay in the NBA despite no discernable basketball abilities but to be the starting point guard for 2 years is far greater than anything I have ever seen in sports.  It is amazing.  There will never, EVER be another Chris Duhon
pimp.gif

Jordan.
and he's the reason why I left him off in the first place....I can understand both sides of the argument (and I did go back and put him on), but even though it totally contradicts what I said, I feel as though I've seen everything Kobe has done through Michael Jordan in years past.

So then wouldn't MJ be off the list since Kobe's such a similar player? Wouldn't that make it a twice in a generation talent?
laugh.gif
IMO Kobe=a less efficient MJ with a better outside shot and smaller hands.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

- Shaq...I don't know if any big man will ever have his combanation of athleticism and strength.
- Bird...Just a supreme feel for the game, and understanding of basketball as a team sport.
- Jordan....Goat
- Barkely....6'5 PF who could just dominate the game offensively.
- 'Bron-...More Athletic than anybody I have ever seen in any sport.
- Dirk...A 7 foot German who could shoot better than anyone else.
- Magic...A point guard who could play center unreal.
- Iverson...5'11 scoring champ, pretty sure dude would be a pro at whatever sport he had choose to focus on.
- Hakeem...Only big man who could have also been a guard.  Best footwork and moves I have ever seen for a big man.
- T-Mac...As Daryl Morey said, T-Mac off talent alone might be one of the 10 best ever.
- Duhon...The ability to not only stay in the NBA despite no discernable basketball abilities but to be the starting point guard for 2 years is far greater than anything I have ever seen in sports.  It is amazing.  There will never, EVER be another Chris Duhon
pimp.gif
I cannot agree more with post. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

Jordan.

So then wouldn't MJ be off the list since Kobe's such a similar player? Wouldn't that make it a twice in a generation talent?
laugh.gif
IMO Kobe=a less efficient MJ with a better outside shot and smaller hands.

*scratches head*
laugh.gif

Like I said...it's all subjective.....even though the gap may have closed between Jordan and Kobe, I still think Mike was a far superior player.  But that debate is water under the bridge because it never gets anywhere....
roll.gif
  The Kobe/Mike arguments bring out the best & worst of S&T....

*and yes...Chris Duhon is remarkable...he is where amazing happens. 

Back
Top Bottom