Incredible Article on the NBA's Economics: Bill Simmons "Fix-It"

I read it.  It was interesting.  Basically it says that if the owners win during the next strikeout then it'd be bad for every NBA player who aren't stars.  Gone will be the overpaid players who don't really do anything but warm the bench.  The only ones who will be able to get paid are the stars.  Gone are long term contracts---only 3-4 years max.  Revenue will go up because the owners will pay the players less.  But in the end---the fans still lose because ultimately the owners will stick with the status quo on ticket prices, etc.  Instead of giving us discount tickets the owners will end up pocketing the extra money (that would've gone to the players). 

Cliff notes of the cliffnotes: the nba as a business from the consumer perspective will still suck...strike or not.

Yes indeed, an interesting read!

"This isn't about improving the revenue split between players and owners. It's about ... Luol Deng making eight figures a year but being unable to sell tickets, create local buzz or lead a team to anything better than 35 wins."

Dude doesn't get any love over here either [in the UK]. Pops Mensah-Bonsu gets more shine!

if you team sucks tickets should be cheaper
pimp.gif

I like his Playoff idea alot, along with the draft idea. Like alot alot.

I also think the NBA should cut like 4 teams (Hornets, Raptors, Bobcats & Grizz) and return the Thunder back to Seattle as the Sonics.

Also ban zone defenses again & ENFORCE THE NO FLOPPING RULE!

Originally Posted by 0cks

I like his Playoff idea alot, along with the draft idea. Like alot alot.

I also think the NBA should cut like 4 teams (Hornets, Raptors, Bobcats & Grizz) and return the Thunder back to Seattle as the Sonics.

Also ban zone defenses again & ENFORCE THE NO FLOPPING RULE!

First idea, is not a good idea. The 2nd idea is never goingn to ever happen.

Charlotte, NO, Toronto, OKC & Memphis...no one will miss these cities not having NBA squads, I'm just sayin

Originally Posted by dakid23

if you team sucks tickets should be cheaper
pimp.gif
I would rather stay home though... And it doesn't stop them from jacking up prices for "premium" teams or "premium" matchups...

PS, I swear I had this argument with someone about how great the NBA is doing as a business... The NBA is stupid.

You cut those teams, you're talking about a lot of people, not just players unemployed. A huge problem with this economy is that everyone trying so save money, ends up making everything worse.

Just finished reading that article, and for once, i agree with this guy.

I actually read ideas like this before somewhere. its sadly never going to happen because like he said, Stern cares all about the money, and has to cover up for his fellow employer's "mistakes".

If they decrease the season tickets by 5%, 10, etc, they'll get a lot more players, and become a lot more competitive, but do you know how much money those owners would risk losing if everything fails? These guys arent going to take a chance on that. They dont care about our feelings.

The current NBA system is terrible. For everyone but the players.

Simmons makes valid points. The current state is average players getting $60-80 million contracts while the revenue keeps decreasing. And the real losers, like usual, are the fans.

You want top money then you should be a player fans come out to see.

Of course we can continue to blame GMs who give out this money. But alas it's not that simple, they need new rules too.

His playoff scenario would never happen.. it's too wacky.

He's right thugh about pretty much everything.

SMH at how many Multi-millionaires sit on bench and NEVER play.. NBA GMs are just idiots.. seriously.

Originally Posted by 0cks

Charlotte, NO, Toronto, OKC & Memphis...no one will miss these cities not having NBA squads, I'm just sayin
other than their rather sizable fan bases.
laugh.gif

Toronto bares no resemblance to any of those other franchises.

Back
Top Bottom