infamousod's ULTIMATE RéSUMé GUIDE vol. by popular demand

pimp.gif

This needs to be stickied.

Great Post.

I really need to get more involved with clubs and organizations.

thanks for sharing!! this is good stuff. I hate resumes but understand they are a part of life. I as well have bookmarked this for future reference. thanksagain!

just cold-called a local firm to inquire about internships, asked me to send a res., sending one tomorrow.

i'm a high school senior, no work experience

wth do i put on here?

THnks ill be looking at this thread 5 years from now, and btw i always thought you had to keep the resume a bit short and not type so much.

Damn this is old. i actually used this when i made my resume. i stil have this bookmarked
pimp.gif

One thing I would like to add is to think about the relevance of your past experiences and how they will help you when you phrase things on your resume. I have read resumes that are filled with loads of information that don’t show anything other than you did your job. Employers are looking for people that do more than manage the daily work flow. I once interviewed someone who was a lifeguard for 4 years. The resume listed the different certifications he held, how many shifts he worked a week, the importance of monitoring people’s safety, etc.

This would be great if he was applying for another lifeguard position instead of an internship in finance. When I interviewed him he began telling me he was responsible for the scheduling for all lifeguards and ensuring the pool was not overstaffed as this would be a waste of money for the swim club. He trained new employees and also taught basic first aid classes. He started a swim lesson program for young children which brought in extra money for the swim club. These are the types of things employers want to see because it shows potential. Doing your job is expected, that is what you are paid for. But scheduling shows some management experience and creating a program to generate revenue for the swim club shows that you have a skill set beyond sitting in a chair and getting a tan.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is you want your resume to be a guide for discussion during an interview. If your resume is lacking why do I want to talk to you in the first place? I could talk to the lifeguard about the hardships of scheduling, did it cause conflicts? How did you deal with these situations? Did you deal with parents (customers) when you taught swim lessons? How did you deal with irate parents? How popular did the swim classes become? Did you have to delegate responsibility? There is room for discussion with these things as opposed to “Tell me more about being a lifeguardâ€

Back
Top Bottom