*Insert Artist Name* Could've Won... Should've Won... And This Is How/Why

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

Stack > Max

God Bless his soul...
smh.gif
I love Stack as well, but Stack was veryyyy New York, while I think Max's appeal was broader. No one made music or even sounded like Max.

Squadddddddddd Uppppppppppppppppppp
pimp.gif

^I see what u saying but they shot a video for that trash All of The Above by Beanie Sigel....that was just stupid

a Big Spender video wud have got a 100k first week....

With that statement are you trying to draw a parallel between #1 records and the possibility of Big Spender being a #1 record?? 
No...
Also, didn't Fat Joe put up a brick with Wayne on his lead single of "Make It Rain".   That song was everywhere but hardly anybody went out and bought the album, not to mention that song had a video for it.
  The song went to #13 in the country... The album sold 200K plus off the strength of ONE single... If ANYthing you are further proving the OG point of this thread... 
You dudes gotta realize the difference between having a "hot single" and having an album that people will actual go out and buy.  Why shot a $50,000 video only to make a net profit of $20,000, thats a loss of $30,000 
Why invest in an album to begin with if you're not planning on doing EVERYthing possible to make it a successful project??... If spending money was an issue for them, they could've given all the producers there tracks back and scrapped the entire project, instead they cut off their nose to spite their face and ruined there own money they already invested in the project like the ******s they are...

Freeway had a record with Jay Z = NEVER shot a video = Song never took off
Song with 50 Cent = NEVER shot a video
Song with Lil Wayne = Label wouldn't clear

The potential for the album to sell was clearly there...

The potential for the album to sell was clearly there...
I definitely agree with you on that aspect then, especially since I have this album and still listen to it frequently.  I just think that in this day and age or even back when this album got released music labels are more "realistic" when it comes to album sales on what they think certain albums can do.  Although all companies would like every album that they drop to go Gold or better, I think they have an idea even when a project begins to the time it gets released as to how many units it will sell.  Although we the hip hop fans would like for all if not a good majority of rap albums to go Gold, things are not aligned for that to occur as they once were.

End of Dec 07, 1st week numbers for The Cool were 143k

they certified him gold end of April 08

that means dude was doing at least a 100k a month....he could have went Plat with more help

Originally Posted by IKnowRap

that means dude was doing at least a 100k a month....he could have went Plat with more help
"Superstar" was the #10 song in the country...

There was nothing else on that album that would've come close...

While I agree they shouldn't have waited till May/June to relase the next single, there wasn't much more that could've been done...

I don't think if he would have shot a video to big spender it would have helped much..didn't he shot Lights Get Low?..but IMO Free At Last should have done well..one hell of a album for what he had to work with..No Kanye..No Just Blaze production

Urban_Legend.jpg

This album did win (by going platinum) but it could have been on some flawless victory type %%@!.

This man had elements of crossover success built into this album

Reason the flawless did not happen: Poor 2nd Single Choice & No Fourth Single

Choosing to do a video for "U Don't Know Me" after it was played on the second part of the "Bring 'Em Out" video was one of the dumbest choices I have seen. I even think that T.I. has admitted it at one point. EVERYBODY knew that "Get Loose" should have been the 2nd single for that album.

I'm pretty sure Nelly was willing to do the video and everything but I guess T.I. wanted to be on his tough guy $*!+ and that's why he shot the full video.

In my opinion he could have released this video, then "ASAP" and finally "Stand Up" with the star power of Lil' Jon, Lil' Wayne & Trick Daddy at the time. The album probably would have sold another million units easily.

Choosing to do a video for "U Don't Know Me" after it was played on the second part of the "Bring 'Em Out" video was one of the dumbest choices I have seen.
The song was #23 on the Billboard Charts and it got nominated for a Grammy...

Went platinum...

That sounds like a success to me...

#kanyeshrug

bootcampclik_full.gif

I was blessed to have a brother that was a hip hop head when I was growing up, so Black Moon & the rest of the Boot Camp Click were consistently played in his car. Their videos were on Rap City and The Box plus they got play on the radio here in PG County.

So you had to know I was dumb surprised when I found out as an adult that NO project that was released under the BCC banner had ever even reached GOLD status.

Now I'm not saying that they are/were the most mainstream artists but hardcore hip hop was popular back in those days and I at least thought that "Enta Da Stage" went gold. But I was wrong, not even the popularity of the "Buck Em Down (Remix)" could propel them to gold status.

Reason They Didn't Win: No Crossover Appeal

This is the only reason I would guess that none of these albums ever went gold. The fact that it was raw New York hip hop from a crew that was strictly from one borough in New York probably did not help their chances to sell.

With all that being said, they have sold a total of 3 million records and continue to tour to this day.

My young mind just thought back then that if I had the album at least 500,000 people bought it.
laugh.gif

Oh well, I still rock with the Boot Camp Click.

Harlem On The Rise wrote:
Originally Posted by IKnowRap

"Superstar" was the #10 song in the country...

There was nothing else on that album that would've come close...

While I agree they shouldn't have waited till May/June to relase the next single, there wasn't much more that could've been done...

YepI agree. The Cool reached its peak with Superstar. There was no otherworthy singles (as in mainstream single) on that album. Paris Tokyo was
grin.gif
and Hip Hop Saved My Life just ain't the type of song to reach the masses even though it was the best song on the album.

I also feel like

graduation.jpg

Could have been EVEN more successful than it was had they shot ONE goodvideo for Flashing Lights (arguably the best song on the album). Yes the girl in the video was very appreciated in that outfit
devil.gif
but overall the video sucked. I remember when it first dropped everyonewas like "is that it?" add that to the fact that Kanye tried to make awhole other video for it that also sucked, he shoulda gave it to Hype Williams and let him do his thing.

http://www.youtube.com/v/ila-hAUXR5U&fs=1&source=uds&autoplay=0http://www.youtube.com/v/ila-hAUXR5U&fs=1&source=uds&autoplay=0http://www.youtube.com/v/ila-hAUXR5U&fs=1&source=uds&autoplay=0http://www.youtube.com/v/ila-hAUXR5U&fs=1&source=uds&autoplay=0 http://www.youtube.com/v/ila-hAUXR5U&fs=1&source=uds&autoplay=0http://www.youtube.com/v/ila-hAUXR5U&fs=1&source=uds&autoplay=0http://www.youtube.com/v/ila-hAUXR5U&fs=1&source=uds&autoplay=0http://www.youtube.com/v/ila-hAUXR5U&fs=1&source=uds&autoplay=0

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

Choosing to do a video for "U Don't Know Me" after it was played on the second part of the "Bring 'Em Out" video was one of the dumbest choices I have seen.
The song was #23 on the Billboard Charts and it got nominated for a Grammy...

Went platinum...

That sounds like a success to me...

#kanyeshrug
It could still been on the charts and all that off the strength of the fact it was included at the end of "Bring IT Out."

I feel like shooting a complete video for it was unnecessary and a video for "Get Loose" would have given the album a little bit more wind.

& the album was definitely successful but I feel like it could have sold more. 

(in response to Extraordinary Swags post)

If the video wasn't so ******ED I'm sure it would've performed better on the charts...

It did go top 30...

But it had top 10 potential...  

Back
Top Bottom