*Insert Artist Name* Could've Won... Should've Won... And This Is How/Why

free_at_last.PNG

Beyond the fact that the album was absolutely banana's...

Listening to it he had everything needed to Win.

Reason he didn't win: COOPERATION.

Had Shawn agreed to do the "Big Spender" video, it would've been HUGE, I mean it had everything radio loves beat knocked, catchy sample in the back ground, monster guest feature (Jay was still hot as fish grease due to his double dutch approach to the game) song was catchy too...
smh.gif
PERFECT 1ST SINGLE. Shawn refused to play ball.

Had Shawn agreed to do this video, Curtis would've inturn did the video for "Take It To The Top" which was would've been another lay up with the radio and video channels.

He could've threw "Still Got Love" out as 3rd and final single which will dope on its own would've done well from the push and response of the 1st two singles allowing people to pay attention to Free on his own, allowing him to shine dolo.  He should've atleast been able to see gold, which would equal Free WINNING.

My Guy Should've Won.
tired.gif

^ I agree with all that but why did Jay not wanna get on board?

was he salty at 50 cent AFTER he approved for him to co ex produce the album or what....i know it didnt work out like they had intially talked about

*Edit*with said things above freeway could have sold a 100k at MOST first week....

One can only speculate but Jay wouldn't do anyone's video minus Rhianna or Beyonce... But he definitely could've/would've given that boy a major push
smh.gif

I can't believe dudes really think a video helps skyrocket an artist to huge sales or notoriety in this day and age.

Jean Grae should have won.

This Week got her name to be an underground staple for female emcees.
Every underground head I kinow was anticipating "Jeanius" her collobration w/ 9th Wonder.

Pushed back....Pushed back....Forgotten....then leaked and became mixtape status.

Not saying she would have been L Boogie big but she could have doone damage on a couple albums and been like Kweli big instead of just being a Twitter Girl.

Big spender wouldn't have done a damn thing. If anything I would have rather seen Jay do a Maybach Music or Go Crazy Remix video before that wack %@$ Big Spender.

Jay should have done more to help promote the album, I will say that.

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

Big spender wouldn't have done a damn thing. If anything I would have rather seen Jay do a Maybach Music or Go Crazy Remix video before that wack %@$ Big Spender.

Jay should have done more to help promote the album, I will say that.

You're missing the point of this thread completely.  Its not about whether or not someone should've done the cold song... Its about how a dope artist had a dope album that was mishandled and how it could've succeeded had certain moves been made.  While Big Spender isn't Maybach Music, it had radio/club/crossover potential, since you mentioned Maybach Music, thats something MM didn't it was just a dope #*+ record.  A video/single push for "Big Spender" could've done very well whether you like the song or not.  I can see drunk kids in clubs, especially caucasians (no diss) slurring this heavy while in the club.  You Cant???
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Deuce King

I can't believe dudes really think a video helps skyrocket an artist to huge sales or notoriety in this day and age.

Ummm... A video serves as promotion... Promotion alerts people to your album dropping, which increases the possibility of people buying your album. What better promotion in hiphop these days than a video with Jay or Wayne??? I'll wait

While we're at it... who said anything about huge sales or notoriety?  I said Gold=500k ... as far as notoriety people already know who freeway is so that's irrelevant to the initial post as well.

Originally Posted by WE GET MONEY

Nah Big Spender was wack

Free is never gonna be a superstar...he's too gritty

How many wack songs have we seen do numbers Dingle?  Hell "We Fly High" was wack and it was one of the biggest singles of the decade
smh.gif
  Jim just took too long to try to capitalize off it album wise.

Again, I never said anything about Free being a superstar, I was talking about how he could've won with that album... You all are missing the point.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Well I suppose you could riddle me off a list of #1 records that NEVER had videos done for them then...

I'll be waiting...

As far as the thread, I was JUST listening to this album lastnight...

& Hot 97 really got behind this record in the summer of 07... They REALLY fumbled this project, that track was single ready, more so then "What We Do" (not saying it was a better song cause it wasnt), but when Dame was there they got a record as gritty as "What We Do" or "The Truth" released as singles and they did well, and helped those projects tremendously, after he left you stopped seeing the GRIMEY tracks used as singles...

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

As far as the thread, I was JUST listening to this album lastnight...

& Hot 97 really got behind this record in the summer of 07... They REALLY fumbled this project, that track was single ready, more so then "What We Do" (not saying it was a better song cause it wasnt), but when Dame was there they got a record as gritty as "What We Do" or "The Truth" released as singles and they did well, and helped those projects tremendously.

This is what I'm saying... while you may have not liked the song, it was everywhere for a brief period of time. I remember the 1st time I heard it here on Power 92 nodding to it automatically like "What The Hell Is This?!?!?!"  Its one of those songs that upon hearing it you had not choice but to nodd... Had they jumped on it and shot the video put that out it would've gotten to another demographic and moved as well.  All of which would've sped up and helped Free's release.

Then you come right back with 50 joint in the same manner... More pub from a different avenue/feel... More listeners.  Then allow Free to do him with a solo single which is where that "Still Got Love" would've rocked pretty well.

500k isn't out of the ball park and with that album and those songs/feature power its quite possible.  That Is What I Was Saying and hoping people would continue to make cases for other artist/album

Aight I get what you mean Seymore. But I did say Jay should've done more to promote the album, I just didn't think that single would have done much if anything. Sales were on the decline at that time and I don't think a Jay co-sign would do much for a gritty dude like Freeway.

Here's my contribution

clipse-til-the-casket-drops.jpg

Should have been released during the Summer of 09 and it would probably at the max go gold. I'm Good was a perfect summer single but they didn't release a video for it until the start of Fall if I remember correctly. And with all the party/club type vibe throughout the whole album it would have been way more successful if it was released during the Summer time. I don't know if this is on them (Clipse) or the label but either way this album was bound to fail when it actually did release.

ask of today 62,000 copies sold
mad.gif
 not a chance in hell they getting a plaque

He couldshould've deffinetly did 500K...

I think this joint ended up doin like 40K its first week with NO real promotion... His first joint went Gold and it was released the SAME week as GRODT which absolutely owned the entire year...

If they shot a video for this joint it would've gotten rotation on EVERY urban station in the country, he could've done 100K the first week... Not to mention he also had a song with Lil Wayne that the label would not clear for whatever reason... His project was sabatoged... This N Steadman is a $@%#++ foreal doin all types of underhanded %#@% to %*!! up Ns situation...

[table][tr][th=""]Professional reviews[/th][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]  
ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg wrote:

Here's my contribution

clipse-til-the-casket-drops.jpg

Should have been released during the Summer of 09 and it would probably at the max go gold. I'm Good was a perfect summer single but they didn't release a video for it until the start of Fall if I remember correctly. And with all the party/club type vibe throughout the whole album it would have been way more successful if it was released during the Summer time. I don't know if this is on them (Clipse) or the label but either way this album was bound to fail when it actually did release.

ask of today 62,000 copies sold
mad.gif
 not a chance in hell they getting a plaque
Very dope album... DESERVED to atleast do 4 or 500K...

But their situation was %*@!%% up when you release singles like 7 or 8 months BEFORE the relase and they don't catch on...

But had they released "Counseling" (not that it was a good song or anything), and had waited to release "Kinda Like A Big Deal" & "I'm Good" it could've sold well... It was DEFFINETLY  a summer album, for it to be released in Dec, it was DESTINED to fail..

max-b_thumb.jpg

Jim Jones will forever be the dumbest boss ever for not feeding the talent

Max B had everything that 2010 artist is supposed to have, add that Harlem swagger and his outstanding talent for making quality songs and hooks

"why you do that"

"where do i go"

[h1]"Bad Whiskey"[/h1]
= certified gold 

frown.gif
 I miss Max B 

Originally Posted by WE GET MONEY

Nah Big Spender was wack

Free is never gonna be a superstar...he's too gritty

Same thing I came in here to say.
Maybe that record would have been huge in the NY/NJ/Phila area for a couple months. But nationally? Can't see that. Not for the time period it came out. It was one of those 2001-2004 era Roc-A-Fella tracks and those aren't really in right now in terms of smash hits.

Kinda like how everyone is going ham for the Bimmers, Benz, and Bents song but in reality that $!!@ ain't about to make no real noise.

Originally Posted by YungSatellite

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

I think Max B had more to do with his career failing then Jim Jones...

I agree...
No doubt...

I still think my guy was one of the few NY artists who could have broke through on the mainstream level though.

Game ain't been the same since Max is gone
smh.gif

A video/single push for "Big Spender" could've done very well whether you like the song or not
Not really, why spend money and waste money at the same time when the purpose is to make money or garner more sales.  I like Free At Last and bought it the day of not the week it was released. 

While we're at it... who said anything about huge sales or notoriety?  I said Gold=500k

Meaning in those days going Gold was and still is having huge sales.  That's what I meant by that statement.

Well I suppose you could riddle me off a list of #1 records that NEVER had videos done for them then...

I'll be waiting...

With that statement are you trying to draw a parallel between #1 records and the possibility of Big Spender being a #1 record??  Also, didn't Fat Joe put up a brick with Wayne on his lead single of "Make It Rain".  That song was everywhere but hardly anybody went out and bought the album, not to mention that song had a video for it.  You dudes gotta realize the difference between having a "hot single" and having an album that people will actual go out and buy.  Why shot a $50,000 video only to make a net profit of $20,000, thats a loss of $30,000 

Back
Top Bottom