Intel Core i3, mobile Core i5 processors coming January 7

[h4]Intel Core i3, mobile Core i5 processors coming January 7[/h4]
By Joanna Stern posted Dec 17th 2009 4:10PM

post_icon_photo.gif

post_icon_video.gif

Intel's Arrandale chips haven't been the best-kept secret around, and today Chipzilla made'em official: the Core i3 and mobile Core i5 will launch on January 7, and we'd guess a bunch of new machines come along for the ride. Although thedesktop Lynnfield Core i5 is a quad-core, both the new Core i3 and mobile Core i5 are dual-core -- and in a first for Intel, both of the new chips have anintegrated GPU core that's being branded "Intel HD Graphics." The new GPU is supposedly good enough for "high-end" HTPC use, butmanufacturers can add switchable discrete GPUs, so don't fret too much. Both Arrandale chips have Intel's latest hyperthreading tech, and the mobile i5also has the Turbo Boost core-overclocking feature found in the desktop i5 and i7, which redirects power to a single core to boost performance when needed.

We got to see a few Core i3 and i5 laptops and desktops in action at Intel's pre-CES briefing today, although we didn't get to run any tests. Themobile Core i5 systems on display were doing a fine job running Call of Duty 4, while the scaled-down Core i3 rigs were playing Blu-ray movies and World ofWarcraft -- not a bad demo, but we'll let you know when we see some real numbers.

pimp.gif

Good looks. I am still running a Duo because I don't have any applications that need a processor THAT good.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

integrated GPU?

Intel is going hard at Nvidia and ATI.

its just an dedicated chip on the same die of the cpu.

amd/ati was the first to come up with that concept (fusion)
and amd/ati actually has real GPU technology to make their product relevant.
intel GPUs are horrible, and their highly anticipated larrabee project was canceled.

Back
Top Bottom