Internships...Enlighten me.

So my freshman year is winding down. I'd like to start working or interning for some companies to build on my experience.

When should I start applying? I heard I should be doing it around March but I need someone to confirm for me.
As of now, I'm at Baruch College in NY and I'm going to be a finance major, for now. I'm willing to take any internship position available seeingas how finance is pretty shaky at the moment.

Anything else I should know? Suggestions? Anyone got a hookup?
pimp.gif
Thanks.

It depends on what you're looking for. You can choose to intern for a company and have it replace a class so you'd be spending time in the officegetting experience rather than a classroom. That's usually something for the beginning of the semester though.

Your best bet is to check out the career center at your school. One of my professors from two years ago works at the Baruch Career Center (she's pretty hottoo, serious booty for a white woman) and they offer many, many, MANY opportunities that they'll suggest to you. Almost everything is at your fingertips;all you gotta do is find something you like and fits your schedule.

Any experience is better than none. Good luck young one.

If you're lookin for a summer internship start applying NOW. Most companies are already starting their interviews and some are even done with their firstset of interviews. Check with your schools career services and see what kind of companies are looking for interns

Theresa Conway, she looks goooood. She taught @ SJU for a semester and was very disorganized but I went for the pleasure of looking @ her

Prostitute or not, you gotta start somewhere. And it's good that you've decided to look into internships this early in your college career.

Start apply NOW. Matter of fact, you should have start applying yesterday. The summer will be here before you know it, and it's already March. Applying canbe a lengthy process, you might get a call back and that shows the company is interested, but they'll still most likely require an interview.

My advice is start looking now, apply as soon as possible, and apply to many places because it's tough out there.

Unpaid internships during a recession aren't what's up, unless they can guarantee you eventual job placement. That's the main reason I haven'tgotten a job in the field I majored in, everybody wants me to start as an intern for 6-12months first. Damn that. Even assuming you were only going to pick meup at 40k a yr, that's 20k worth of work you're trying to get free.

How does your resume look like thus far? and What within finance are you looking for?

Since you are a Freshman, it might be a little harder for you to get an internship as companies look for sophomores- seniors. I'm currently a HR intern, sofrom my experiences I've found out that if you are a freshman looking for an internship, its a little harder unless you have a good resume.

Definitely check the Baruch's job search database to look for internships. My friend goes to Baruch (Finance Major also) and have landed a good amount ofinternships/summer jobs from the database. Also, if you aren't able to find any internships in finance, try to look for a summer job related to Financesuch as working in a bank to beef up your resume.

my resume isn't as beefed up as i wanted it to be. i do have some skills such as being proficient in 3 languages besides english (although i'veforgotten many things within those languages) and none of my jobs have much to do with finance. i've had a cashier job but that was in 06 and i worked atschool in 08 just to keep my resume somewhat active. part of 2 honor societies and have taken part in student government.

as for which area of finance, possibly finance and investments or corporate finance. but that's just my naive self talking because that's where all themoney is. i'm still somewhat undecided on my major. i recently heard about an ad hoc major such as entrepreneurship and have thought about going intointernational bus., operational management or bus. management.

i'll be sure to check the career center asap. and what are the possibilities of landing a job at a bank as a back up to a finance internship?

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Unpaid internships during a recession aren't what's up, unless they can guarantee you eventual job placement. That's the main reason I haven't gotten a job in the field I majored in, everybody wants me to start as an intern for 6-12months first. Damn that. Even assuming you were only going to pick me up at 40k a yr, that's 20k worth of work you're trying to get free.
grin.gif
tired.gif

Well right now, to be honest it seems that its getting harder and harder to even land a job at a bank as a back up. However, my friend who goes to Baruch, hedid start off working at Chase for about 8 months during his freshman year. After he quit, I advised him to look for internships by going to job fairs atBaruch, websites, telling him to search at the Baruch job database. I even gave him access to search at my University's job database. It turns out that byworking at Chase, keeping his GPA up and resume active, he started landing a good amount of internships, and his future is looking bright. (Thanks to me ofcourse!)

But its good that you are keeping your resume active. And even the cashier job on your resume will look good b/c of the transferable skills that you obtained.Just be extra proactive with the internship search. Of course you should hit up websites like Yahoo hot jobs, monstertrack, career builder, craigslist to namea few.

Thanks...any suggestions if i do decide to go into the fields of entrepreneurship / operations / bus. management? what should i be doing then?

i go to baruch also, accounting major.

one thing about accounting and finance in regards to internships is pay.
majority of finance internships are unpaid, even in big names, but hey gotta start somewhere.

my suggestion since you are only a freshmen with zero experience is to apply to as many as possible
if you do land internships and keep your GPA up, try to obtain a MS/GS internship in your junior/senior year

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I need to get me an internship in a publishing house or something.
What are you trying to get into within publishing? Editorial? Ad sales?

and Tubbbbby, Yes, most internships are definitely going to be unpaid, especially with how everything is going now. But this economy is good for internships,because they are getting free workers, and in return we are getting valuable experience. As for Entrepreneurship/Operations, I'm not 100% on what route youneed to take since I'm perusing a career in HR. Maybe for Operations Management, try to get a position as a Management intern position. I know stores likeTarget and Lowe's have interns for Management through On-Campus Recruitment, so you should check that out.

Finance

24_goldman_sachs.jpg

If you intern for that company and do well, you are set for your Finance career.

For the rest of you, my advice is intern at the top companies in your field of interest regardless if the interns actually do work. These companies pay thehighest and look the best on your resume. Fortune 500s, hell 100 are paramount.

is it better to get a summer internship or an internship that runs throughout the academic year?

although i never did an internship in the summer, im currently doing my internship during the acdemic year. i started in October and im staying till May. I goin Mondays and Fridays bc of classes. i think its better to have summer internships because you can focus on the internship 100% instead of trying to passcourses and intern. also, i think you will be able to learn more if you do summer internships bc you would be interning for more hours in the day, thuslearning more.

but if you can get an internship during the academic year, go for it bc the most important thing is that you are getting the experience.

I still have 2 years of school left, I'll do it next year for sure, that internship is key

Originally Posted by TuBbBbBbY

Thanks...any suggestions if i do decide to go into the fields of entrepreneurship / operations / bus. management? what should i be doing then?
pimp.gif

That's what I'm in right now at Central Michigan. Minoring in Marketing. With entrepreneurship just about any internship will help you. I took one withComcast for the last 2 summers doing marketing/sales and it's crazy how much I learned without even realizing it. Plus I got PAID

Back
Top Bottom