Interview Tips? Vol. Serious Discussion UPDATE 5/27

Well I have an interview for a sales engineer position Wednesday afternoon and I was hoping I could get some tips on interviewing. My last few interviews havebeen mediocre and I feel that my lack of interview skills have hindered my ability to attain a job. Therefore, I am asking NT for advice on how to presentmyself and what I should mention during the interview to make me stand out from the many other recent college graduates in my position. I'm an industrialengineer btw, and this sales position is for an electronic component company. I've already been researching the duties of a sales engineer and finding outabout the types of components the company sells. Any tips for me NT?

UPDATE 5/27

Went in pretty well prepared. Chopped it up with the director of sales. Got a follow up interview next week with the regional manager (the director will bethere as well). Definitely won the direct of sales over with my work ethic. Basically told him that he'll find people with 3.5 GPA's and up but hewon't find someone whose worked hard before and knows how to get his hands dirty. Had some questions prepared and maintained eye contact/ gave a firmhandshake/ and let him do most of the talking.

Any tips for this follow up interview? This is the big one folks I need your guys' help. I really appreciate the posts and would like to thank NT.

Have some questions prepared for the interviewer.

Firm handshake.

Maintain eye contact.

Be confident.

(hope that helps)... good luck

Sales engineer eh?

I'm going to talk engineer to engineer with you.

Well, here's what I'd do. Everyone applying for your job will be an engineer just like you. That being said, every candidate will have a strongtechnical background. Therefore, your technical background is NOT what you focus on. When the interviewer ask you about your strengths, senior design project,ECs, etc.....do not dwell on technical details such programming, CAD tools, equations, etc.

Instead focus on your interpersonal/social skills, communication skills, etc. Yeah everything I just mentioned is one in the same but how you interact withother people is what will get you THAT job. "Can you sell our product or services to potential client?" is the number one question. Doesn'tmatter if you have a 4.0, can solve optimization equations in your head, etc. Those skills are irrelevant for the job you are applying too.

Show that you are have excellent communication skills, can explain electronic systems to non-engineers in layman terms and your good to go. Personality foryour job will be a lot more important then if your simply a code monkey or a guy drawing circuits on SPICE all day.

Before you leave your house on the morning of the interview, make sure your nails are clean and trimmed.

thank you everyone for the replies. (except for kicktionair df man serious discussion here) I agree there will be lots of people with technical backgroundssimilar to mine, I will try not to dwell on that. What kind of questions should I ask/ not ask? I am cautious to ask the wrong question I guess.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Sales engineer eh?

I'm going to talk engineer to engineer with you.

Well, here's what I'd do. Everyone applying for your job will be an engineer just like you. That being said, every candidate will have a strong technical background. Therefore, your technical background is NOT what you focus on. When the interviewer ask you about your strengths, senior design project, ECs, etc.....do not dwell on technical details such programming, CAD tools, equations, etc.

Instead focus on your interpersonal/social skills, communication skills, etc. Yeah everything I just mentioned is one in the same but how you interact with other people is what will get you THAT job. "Can you sell our product or services to potential client?" is the number one question. Doesn't matter if you have a 4.0, can solve optimization equations in your head, etc. Those skills are irrelevant for the job you are applying too.

Show that you are have excellent communication skills, can explain electronic systems to non-engineers in layman terms and your good to go. Personality for your job will be a lot more important then if your simply a code monkey or a guy drawing circuits on SPICE all day.
/thread

Just be honest and genuine. Be passionate about what you're talking about, and if you bring up a topic...know it inside and out.

You're probably interviewing with the director of sales, and that means the interview is going to be 10X more subjective on things you rarely pay attentionto.... Using the same word over and over, speaking fluently and clearly, avoiding 'salesguy' chat, boasting, personal ticks (rubbing your hands,scratching your face), letting you talk yourself into a corner, seeing if you'll admit you don't know an answer...ect)

There are a lot of people with sales experience out there, and most of them shouldn't be in sales.

Go browse through a few sales books before you go and get a better idea of what sales managers are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom