iPhone Users: How reliable is your 3G?

balloonoboy

Banned
Joined Nov 13, 2009
So, I've decided that I'm going to purchase the iPad. I just don't know if I should get the wifi or 3G version.

Is AT&T's 3G network reliable?

Joined Oct 7, 2007
my 3g coverage rarely ever goes out... i don't now what the rest of the world is *****ing about.
the only time i don't have 3g is if im on 95 south of something driving through a small town or some $$@!. and i only lose it about 2-3 times a trip. for a max of 5-10 minutes if even THAT long.

i would suggest to just get the regular wifi version of the ipad though. cheaper.

Joined Oct 6, 2003
I've had my iPhone since Nov and I've seen the "E" 3 times, for approx a minute or less each time. Minneapolis area, do not travel much.

Joined Jun 21, 2007
on a serioius note, dont ever buy anything 1st generation from apple they gona leave stuff out on purpose. then the next year add a thousand more features to it, but if you got the money i say go for it. my 3g is good, dont reallly have a problem with it.

EddieWinslow1983

formerly piczon1983
Joined Dec 25, 2007
Whenever I turn on 3G, I always have good connection. But that 3G be draining my battery with the quickness!!!

Joined Nov 8, 2005
You people must never leave your city

I live in a city where there is no 3g for At&t and everyone still has the iPhone because they either are too dumb to know or think it just looks cool

Joined Feb 10, 2008
go check the data coverage map on the at&t site.....but make sure u zoom in real close because they made 3g and edge data both blue so u have to zoom in real close to see to tell the blue colors apart

balloonoboy

Banned
Joined Nov 13, 2009
Appreciate the help.

Yea the wifi version is cool but I foresee using it a lot for the web.

I don't want to find myself in a predicament where I'm unable to find a connection.

Even better is the 3G version includes free wifi at starbucks. I like to have that freedom. $130 more isn't a deal breaker.

Joined Oct 7, 2007
Originally Posted by Prime Suspects 36

You people must never leave your city

I live in a city where there is no 3g for At&t and everyone still has the iPhone because they either are too dumb to know or think it just looks cool
i leave my city all the time. i live in maryland and commute to school in virginia every day. in my original post i stated how im always traveling up the east coast and rarely lose 3g.

you must live in a slummy city

Joined Feb 23, 2008
Originally Posted by balloonoboy

So, I've decided that I'm going to purchase the iPad. I just don't know if I should get the wifi or 3G version.

Is AT&T's 3G network reliable?
depends on your city. there are some big cities where it's actually not good (contrary to conventional wisdom). 

the at&t ceo just came out with comments saying that the 3g versions would not drive alot of subscriptions

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/03/atandt-ceo-ipad-will-be-mostly-used-on-wifi-wont-drive-many-new/

which coincides with what a lot of bloggers are saying about the 3g not actually being worth the extra cost. 

Joined Mar 30, 2004
Unless you live in a big city like New York, Philly, LA, etc., you probably don't even get 3G coverage. Your best bet is to just check AT&T's coverage map on their website.

Joined Dec 29, 2004
i live in the Bay Area & rarely does my 3G signal crap out on me.. don't listen to those stupid Verizon "map" commercials (unless you live in a rural area). 

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now