Is anybody ever going to get close to Wilt's career rebound total?

23,924 career rebounds
eek.gif
I knew it was high but I didn't think he was nearly doubling the career total of the top active rebounder right now (Shaq with a 'measly' 12,919
laugh.gif
)

Just to put this into perspective, you would have to average 15 rebounds a game FOR 20 YEARS to surpass Wilt. Ridiculous. Can anybody ever even get CLOSE to this total? Surpassing it is probably out of the question.

No... Wilt was like a NBA big now playing high school kids...
laugh.gif

Too many big, athletic dudes out there now...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

No... Wilt was like a NBA big now playing high school kids...
laugh.gif

Too many big, athletic dudes out there now...
Unless someone 9 feet with a 45 inch vert is on the horizon, no one will ever come even close.

If you played every single game in an 82 game season for 20 years, you'd have to average north of 14.5 boards a game to break that record...

Just at first glance, the last person to top 14.5 while playing 82 games even once is Dennis Rodman in like 1992...

It's NEVER happening.

That record will never ever be beat.

Closest would be:

Bill Russel: 21,620

Moses Malone: 17834

Kareem Abdul Jabar: 17440

It was a semi close game where WIlt Chamberlain scored 100...They won but it was 169 to 147 He had 100 pts and 25 rebounds.

How about this, will anyone beat Robert Parish's 21 years in the NBA?

He didn't have a single turnover his rookie year. Retired at 43 years old

Kevin Willis retired at 45 years old.

The most impressive rebounder in NBA history is either Jason Kidd, Dennis Rodman, or Fat Lever. I'm actually gonna give the edge to the 6'3" 170-lb Fat Lever for consistently averaging 9 rbs in late '80s. Dude came very close to averaging a triple-double as well.

Originally Posted by imperialh8

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Just because they didn't record turnovers in 1976 doesn't mean Robert Parish didn't turn the ball over that year. He was actually quite turnover prone for a big man, he had a few 3+ TO/g seasons in his prime.

As for 21 NBA seasons, it is very likely to be broken by a "straight to the NBA from high school" or "one and done" player.

Originally Posted by Juan Baller

Originally Posted by imperialh8

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Just because they didn't record turnovers in 1976 doesn't mean Robert Parish didn't turn the ball over that year. He was actually quite turnover prone for a big man, he had a few 3+ TO/g seasons in his prime.

As for 21 NBA seasons, it is very likely to be broken by a "straight to the NBA from high school" or "one and done" player.

I just checked that out...thanks for the correction, someone told me that.

I'm sorry guys, I dont think i can place him as the best player in history...look at who were in the league.... lol

This should just be a NBA facts page...

Jimmy Jackson played for 12 different teams

Scott Skiles holds the record for most assists in a single game with 30

Just checked Kevin Willis played 23 years in the NBA wow!

No.. Not because they won't be good enough, but because there simply aren't as many rebounds available to be grabbed as there were in Wilt's days.

Example:

In 1991-92 Dennis Rodman averaged 18.7 rebounds on a 26.2% rebounding rate in 40.3 minutes.
In 1971-72 Wilt Chamberlain averaged 19.2 rebounds on a 20.1% rebounding rate in 42.3 minutes.

And this was in Wilt's late years, we only have Wilt's rebound rate date for his last 3 seasons, there were even more rebounds to be grabbed available in the early 60s. For those who don't know, rebound rate is simply a percentage of the rebounds that were available to be grabbed while you were on the floor. So you can see, even though Rodman grabbed a significantly higher percentage of the available rebounds, Wilt still averaged more rebounds. So it's not possible to average those types of rebound numbers, unless the game of basketball and the style it's played with changes drastically.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

No.. Not because they won't be good enough, but because there simply aren't as many rebounds available to be grabbed as there were in Wilt's days.

Example:

In 1991-92 Dennis Rodman averaged 18.7 rebounds on a 26.2% rebounding rate in 40.3 minutes.
In 1971-72 Wilt Chamberlain averaged 19.2 rebounds on a 20.1% rebounding rate in 42.3 minutes.

And this was in Wilt's late years, we only have Wilt's rebound rate date for his last 3 seasons, there were even more rebounds to be grabbed available in the early 60s. For those who don't know, rebound rate is simply a percentage of the rebounds that were available to be grabbed while you were on the floor. So you can see, even though Rodman grabbed a significantly higher percentage of the available rebounds, Wilt still averaged more rebounds. So it's not possible to average those types of rebound numbers, unless the game of basketball and the style it's played with changes drastically.
This

Back
Top Bottom