Is Being a 'Sore Loser' Really a Bad Thing? Vol. No! It's More than Just a Game!

Discussion in 'Sports & Training' started by captain charisma85, Mar 4, 2009.

1. captain charisma85

captain charisma85

I ask this because I just returned home from playin' ball with some friends at the rec for awhile. Now, there wasn't many people so we were able toget a 5-on-5 with some other guys there and just played. Well the games went back and forth, with the series ending up 2-2 and before we all left decided toplay one last game. Anyways, it's a close game I wasn't as productive as I was in the previous games, and one dude was just RIDICULOUS, anything hethrew up just found a way to go in, and we eventually lose by 2. Afterwards, frustrated, I caught the ball (my ball) as it went through the net slamed it downand shouted "Gawd Damn it!"

After the shout I did my normal "post-game" routine (win or lose), shaking hands, saying 'good game' to my opponents and teammates. Anyways,as we are walking out, my friends are telling me that I was being a sore loser and taking the game way too serious.

I just hit them with the [​IMG], cause, yeah it is a random pick up game, buthell, I still want to win. I mean I'm not one of those Rec Center warriors who dive over benches and folding tables for loose balls, but I'm not justgoing to walk up and down the court and throwing up stuff cause I don't care (those dudes annoy me). Eh, maybe I'm just venting, but I don't liketo lose. To me, the dudes who knock over trash cans, walk out of the gym cursing and not talking to anybody are the "poor sports." I say poor sportcause I think 'sore loser' isn't that much of a bad thing, hey I'm a competitive person.

Anybody else just get a little frustrated when you lose? Not just in a pick-up game but anything in general?

2. DeadsetAce

DeadsetAce

you know what? some people don't get it, but it really is more than just a game sometimes. eff em

3. 703flipfiend

703flipfiend

Hell yeah. Whenever I lose to my girl in a board game or something petty, I get pretty mad. Like if I lose, pretty much our whole night goes down the drainhaha. My demeanor changes mad quick. Thankfully, I'm usually the winner in Scrabble, Monopoly, Cranium, and games like that. Somehow though, I'm onlyreal messed up when I lose to her. If there's other people around, I'm not that mad because I don't want them to see that side of me. But onceI'm by myself, it's a wrap. I just keep on thinking about the L even hours after it's over. I can sympathize with your point though. Usually,I'm straight the next day when I wake up, so it's not that severe.

4. acidicality

acidicality

5. Johnny_Cakes

Johnny_Cakes

I hate losing, simple as that.

6. trueblack88

trueblack88 Banned

I mean, being a sore-loser is childish. I don't think YOU were necessarly being a sore-loser for what you did, but I've seen some people really take ittoo far and get too heated. Nobody likes to lose, but its how you handle and channel that energy. You gotta use it to your advantage instead of going intoRasheed Wallace mode, lol...

7. nychiphophippo

nychiphophippo

i'll win a few games in beer pong and be loving my night...then one loss and i get pissed off and it ruins the whole party for me. I can actually acceptlosing a lot of the time...the only time I really hate it is when I'm disappointed in myself for making mistakes.

if a team in basketball just happens to make it rain one game despite good defense...then eff it they were hittin their shots what are u gunna do...

but when I feel like I'm the reason why my team lost, and if I didn't play like *!%$ it would have been the difference between playing in the next gameand having to watch another 2-3 games on the sideline while I think about how I screwed up...THAT is when I hate losing.

8. ThaxbyChamblis

ThaxbyChamblis

I get mad whenever I don't win.

It can be anything, a eating contest, a sport, a video game, whatever.

In the time immeidately after the loss, I'm steaming. Esp. in Basketball

[​IMG][​IMG]

Yes, I will punt the +$$# out of your basketball if I so happen to not win. Esp. if its on some %$$!**$!.

9. captain charisma85

captain charisma85

[​IMG]
    Man, some of the post game reactions I've seen from some people.

10. acidicality

acidicality

11. prettyplaya

prettyplaya

do you just wanna hear that you're competitve or what lol..

you're an assassin lol.

no but..if people are REALLY REALLY competitive....

they dont even try to show people that they're competitive. but these guys are more dangerous... b/c they're REAL SERIOUS inside their mind.

12. captain charisma85

captain charisma85

No, not at all, I just didn't think the whole "sore loser" thing was warrented. In my opinion, I didn't expect/want to hear anything at all.To me it was just a normal game/reaction, but my friends felt differently which kinda caught me off guard.

13. dunks r us

dunks r us

lmao "rec center warrior"

14. prettyplaya

prettyplaya

i also find it funny during pick-up games,, some garbage players try to be like "competitve" when they don't even have serious impact on thegame.

good players usually act like they don't even care or try but still get the win. simply because, theyre just good that they dont even "need" tobe competitive.

it's not "cool" to act like you're so competitive during pick up games when you're just AVG at best.

just saying from my experience.

15. captain charisma85

captain charisma85

I don't know where you play ball at, but generally where I play (U of A campus rec center) everybody in there (good/avg/bad) take the games seriously. Itmakes it fun and provides a good work out. I've played ball my entire life and don't consider myself a 'scrub' but, it's whatever really.I'm not trying to "look cool" or make up for lack of talent or whatever the point is you are trying to make.

16. 651akathepaul

651akathepaul

I like how you phrased that. Accidental or not. It's not that you lose, but you just didn't win.

17. lalakerfan213

lalakerfan213

Over the years i have learned to control my anger, but at times its impossible.

My PS3 controller gets tossed all the time[​IMG]

18. yungchamp

yungchamp Banned

tell me about it...thats how i got the nickname champ cuz i hate losing so much i'll quit ahead just so that i make sure i win [​IMG][​IMG] and as far as pickupgames if i see you not hustling i'll either 1. walk out on my bum *** squad or trade n_'s off mid game for somebody else that wants 2 win! [​IMG] i need2 b surrounded by winners dammit! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

i've went thru a many of controllers if i lose on the station the controller is going across the room...i'll just frisby that b_ somewhere in disgust[​IMG] then i'll sit there for a good minute breaking down w t f went wrong just critiquing my gameplay [​IMG][​IMG]

19. biggie62

biggie62

I hate losing in everything as well. But I just am angry at myself for maybe not playing better or not doing something that could have changed the outcome ofthe game more than being a sore loser. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to lose. But atleast learn to accept that it's just part of it. You canstill hate it, and if people don't feel the same as you, well let them be. It's not their personality and they'll never understand.

20. poogibucker

poogibucker

im only a sore loser when i lose to someone i either dont like or someone that i shoulda beat

21. tmay407

tmay407

Be humble in victory and gracious in defeat...

22. thasoleful1

thasoleful1

some people hate losing but i gotta admit when i get into a losing streak at the gym i get frustrated. i hate when ppl are sore losers and try to cheat or likealways drive it in with game point and any contact is a foul so they get the ball.

23. 651akathepaul

651akathepaul

Co-sign. Losing sucks. It stresses me out to the max. I ESPECIALLY hate losing to the guys who are "humble." Losing to someone who talks mad trash istolerable after a few of them, but most of the time they are even cool after the game. It's the humble guy who always wins and doesn't say much is theguy I hate. It's like "SAY SOMETHING! YOU KNOW YOU THINK YOU'RE THE #%+% YOU SON OF A *%$$!!"

24. 651akathepaul

651akathepaul

Co-sign. Losing sucks. It stresses me out to the max. I ESPECIALLY hate losing to the guys who are "humble." Losing to someone who talks mad trash istolerable after a few of them, but most of the time they are even cool after the game. It's the humble guy who always wins and doesn't say much is theguy I hate. It's like "SAY SOMETHING! YOU KNOW YOU THINK YOU'RE THE +$+$ YOU SON OF A %+$##!"

25. prettyplaya

prettyplaya

The real definition of competitiveness: MJ

He never gets mad even though when he loses.

Stay calm if u wanna be REAL competitve.