Is Brandon Marshall still an elite receiver?

I got into a debate with a sport's writer about Brandon Marshall. He believes that Hakeem Nicks is a better player than Brandon Marshall. I don't agree but it got me thinking is Brandon Marshall still an elite receiver in the NFL? Sorry if this turns into a player A vs. player B thread but has Brandon Marshall really fallen off that hard or does this guy not know what he's talking about? 

Yeah that's true but TO dropped the ball more than any other elite receiver I've ever seen and he's still a HOF.
edit. 

I'm not saying TO=Marshall or Marshall>> TO 

too many drops (i agree) ... but still top 5 to me ...

for 2 reasons ... b/c i called him top 5 earlier this season
laugh.gif
and because of the piggyback ride he gave to terrance newman ...

Yes he is.

he still commands a double team or bracket coverage and the Cowboys chose to do neither and he cooked them.

Brandon has more TD drops than TD receptions since hes been with us.

Talent wise he's elite, but he's such a head case. Granted, we haven't had a QB that he's gotten chemistry with and out play calling since he's been here has been nothing but horrendous.

Didn't he just have his only game with only a single reception last week? Dude's a monster and look at who's been throwing him the ball during his time in Miami. If dude could keep his head straight he'd be something else.

the guy tried to tell me Brandon Marshall has had good QB's throwing to him in Miami. He then tried to pass me off as an idiot for trying to say Marshall is the reason for Moore's success.

I don't know if he'd still be in my top 5 or considered elite by the majority but he damn sure is better than Hakeem Nicks

Maybe it's more a matter of having a competent QB rather than just keeping his head straight...

This is the problem when it comes to people rating the elite receivers or "top 5" lists. It always appears that people just formulate those lists off of who's hot now instead of really knowing.

He's definitely elite, but there are variables that take place with receivers that make it so they aren't really producting statistically. Coverage is one. Who really commands respect on that team to really help Marshall? Quarterback play being another. Despite drops, Brandon is still a top notch WR.

Originally Posted by 5dividedby4

the guy tried to tell me Brandon Marshall has had good QB's throwing to him in Miami. He then tried to pass me off as an idiot for trying to say Marshall is the reason for Moore's success.

Moore had success in Carolina, he just got injured. Moore is a decent QB, is he long term solution? No.

Only if Clyde Gates develops...

Originally Posted by rashi

Moore had success in Carolina, he just got injured. Moore is a decent QB, is he long term solution? No.

He's a decent QB but my point was that the passing offense relies on Brandon Marshall more than he wants to admit. He's been thrown at 99 times. That's 3rd in the league behind Megatron and Wes Welker. Take Marshall out of that offense and they're done. 

He's a decent QB but my point was that the passing offense relies on Brandon Marshall more than he wants to admit. He's been thrown at 99 times. That's 3rd in the league behind Megatron and Wes Welker. Take Marshall out of that offense and they're done. 

No denying that. That just goes back to what Gunna was saying, he attracts double teams, LBs have to umbrella in coverage allowing Reggie Bush to get into the open field.

Originally Posted by CasperJr

I'll take him in Chicago for a 3rd rounder if he isn't elite no more
nerd.gif

Roy + Brandon in the same locker room =
roll.gif

Might as well add TO to that locker room.
laugh.gif

But no he's no longer an elite receiver, part of the blame goes to the QB.

Damn right he's elite. Most of the time he has to stretch out for passes from Matt Moore/Chad Henne thrown 5 feet behind or in front of him.

He has elite potential. Your production counts for a lot. This takes me back to the Andre Johnson vs B Marsh debate a while back.Oh and Chicago would be a good look for him. Miami might go for a 3rd rounder. They rebuilding and need picks.

He's had over 1000 yards receiving in every year except his rookie year, and holds the record for most catches in a single game.....how is this even a question? He's only 27.

Yea, he's just a headcase and needs a QB to get him the ball. I mean, Matt Moore has been decent to pretty
good the last 4 games, but I wouldn't bet the house on him consistently getting Marshall the ball.
laugh.gif
at that
scrub Terrence Newman though.

Back
Top Bottom