IS BROOKLYN DYING?

I feel you one hundred percent. I live in East Flatbush, and because there are two major hospitals (SUNY Downstate and Kings County) many white people are moving in. While it is safer, slowly the culture is being sapped from the neighborhood. And unlike before, there is no switching of places so to speak, poorer people are being forced out of the city entirely as opposed to just moving to a different section. NYC was built off of immigrant culture and slowly that is fading.

#1 Crime ridden neighborhood => cheap property/ low rental properties => ideal location for "creative" types (see artists (visual), musicians, etc), who live side by side with native residents => influx of aforementioned demographic brings about "positive culture" => #4 which results in increased property values/increased rent via neighborhood investments => "creative" types along with native residents can no longer afford to live in these neighborhoods so they move out => rich folks now move in because of the thriving "culture" of these neighborhoods.
Rinse and repeat. Of course i left out a few steps between when the rich folks move in to when the neighborhood becomes crime ridden, but this tends to be the general cycle of most of these kinds of neighborhoods. There are numerous sources to corroborate this.

What I find unfortunate is the unwillingness to invest in these neighborhoods at point #1 as opposed to point #4. Obviously, discrimination based primarily on class and race is at work here.

And can someone give me a universally accepted definition of what Hipster is? Like a real way of pin pointing them.

Originally Posted by Weekz

I feel you one hundred percent. I live in East Flatbush, and because there are two major hospitals (SUNY Downstate and Kings County) many white people are moving in. While it is safer, slowly the culture is being sapped from the neighborhood. And unlike before, there is no switching of places so to speak, poorer people are being forced out of the city entirely as opposed to just moving to a different section. NYC was built off of immigrant culture and slowly that is fading.

What part of the bush you live in kid??

Originally Posted by frshstunna

question for nyers...with the nets being in Brooklyn now are they completely switching up the downtown area like in most cities?....I gotta check ok NY one of these days soon

And *!*% we need a few more hipsters to move into bmore
laugh.gif
...too many vacant houses and blocks that the city ain't doing anything with

laugh.gif
I'm gonna have to co-sign this

large parts of Baltimore is straight up trash

Originally Posted by Biggie62

Originally Posted by RIPyzyz

Actual question for Brooklyn/NY Nters... Where are the former tenants from these neighborhoods going?  Somewhere else in the city?  Another state?

A lot are being pushed out of the city completely.  I remember visiting my friend that was going to Holy Cross College in Worcester Massachusetts and he said that he met a lot of former New Yorkers there that were forced to move out.  Some are moving more into the cheaper parts of Queens like Ridgewood and Glendale.  I mean my mom owns the house which is why we love the changes here.  But if we didn't we'd be forced to look for cheaper housing as well.
I know a few people that from Fort Greene to ENY, so I'm guessing all the people that got priced out of Fort Greene moved to the East

Actual question for Brooklyn/NY Nters... Where are the former tenants from these neighborhoods going?  Somewhere else in the city?  Another state?

Black folks in nyc been draining down south to ATL for a few years now...Hispanics either go & join heavily hispanic hoods in NYC or go to new places wereThey control like da ricans in orlando or da dominicans in boston or PA

Originally Posted by Mr K

Originally Posted by Cyber Smoke

Originally Posted by throwback1718

laugh.gif
it isnt? I could swear I heard on NY1 that they tryna call it "SoBro" as a play off of "SoHo"?
Matter fact. Eff that... NY1 DID say that
laugh.gif

LOL 

I live on Prospect ain't #@$% over here that remind me of SOHO
laugh.gif

i grew up in the Bronx and God do i wish the type of development Brooklyn has undergone in the past decade would happen in my old neighborhood as well, why are people complaining?....these so called hipsters brought in more security, which led to better businesses, better neighborhoods, properties have gone up in value due to all this, i dont see how those that were there before all this are not benefiting at all from whats happend,  the Bronx needs to take notes, I hate it that my mothers building was tore down and rebuilt, turned into a Coop and handed rom city management to the tenants and due to its location, the value of the apartments isnt going anywhere, people can actually purchase a 3 BR coop in her building for 30k 
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
 brand new!...and even at that no one wants to move to a neighborhood ran by little thugs no older than 18 and a bunch of cracked down houses, the Bronx is sad at this point.....besides throgs neck and riverdale there is absolutely nothing great in that borough....they're trying with the immediate sorrounding area of Yankee stadium, but i dont see that going far.
grin.gif
are you srs? about to jump on that %%@ pa

Seems like a lot of the people are moving to Queens after getting pushed out of BK. I've noticed this more in South Queens though. There's also a lot of development happening in LIC and Astoria. I stay in Corona which isn't likely to change soon but I'm still worried after reading about this new Willets Point development.

Originally Posted by GetThisMoney

Goldenchild is 100% right. The city has been pushing for new initiatives for more than a decade. Recently, I read that NYC is sponsoring office spaces for tech startups in the South Bronx area. They are trying to get professional developers and talent to move in, slowly pushing everyone out.

They already started it. A friend of mine works at one in Hunts Point. Almost all of the "start ups" there are locally based businesses. I seen a presentation that showed how 4 or 5 (can't remember) different businesses working together made 6 figures in 4 months. Instead of bringing other businesses into the area, they want to build up the businesses already there.

They been developing a lot and putting up new construction in Astoria in Queens for the last decade. A lot of of houses are being bought up by developers and being torn down to put up 3-4 story condo's. A lot of new businesses have opened up last 3-4 years. I love the area since I been here my entire but I wouldn't mind moving since it seems a bit crowded with all these hipsters and !#+@.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Black folks in nyc been draining down south to ATL for a few years now...Hispanics either go & join heavily hispanic hoods in NYC or go to new places wereThey control like da ricans in orlando or da dominicans in boston or PA

They also seem to be headed to Nassau County/Long Island, areas like Elmont and Valley Stream.

I grew up in Flatbush/east flatbush but now live in Bushwick and I know exactly how OP feels. Moved here about 9 months agao after it became completely gentrified and I was astonished. I went to JHS in bushwich (383 for the YC heads0 back in the mid 90's and knew that if I wasn't on the subway by 6pm, I was just food to the thugs. Now i walk around and feel like i'm in freaking the upper East Sisde or something with the bistros, cafes and rock bars in the neighborhood. i mean there still are hoods and people still gotta hustle but it's crazy the changes going on. I'm good. i live in a rent stabilized building and just re-upped my lease for 2 more years so i aint going nowhere unless I get a wife/ kid sometime soon but I see how OP feels. Joint aint the same anymore but It is what it is.

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

Originally Posted by Cyber Smoke

LOL 

I live on Prospect ain't #@$% over here that remind me of SOHO
laugh.gif

i grew up in the Bronx and God do i wish the type of development Brooklyn has undergone in the past decade would happen in my old neighborhood as well, why are people complaining?....these so called hipsters brought in more security, which led to better businesses, better neighborhoods, properties have gone up in value due to all this, i dont see how those that were there before all this are not benefiting at all from whats happend,  the Bronx needs to take notes, I hate it that my mothers building was tore down and rebuilt, turned into a Coop and handed rom city management to the tenants and due to its location, the value of the apartments isnt going anywhere, people can actually purchase a 3 BR coop in her building for 30k 
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
 brand new!...and even at that no one wants to move to a neighborhood ran by little thugs no older than 18 and a bunch of cracked down houses, the Bronx is sad at this point.....besides throgs neck and riverdale there is absolutely nothing great in that borough....they're trying with the immediate sorrounding area of Yankee stadium, but i dont see that going far.
grin.gif
More info pls...
I'm all the way down in NC, but for $30k I'm on it.

Move to Texas, famb..

Houston or Dallas .. don't have to worry about that...

People with money just move farther away from town and extend their commute...

Sugarland, pearland, Frisco..

There are still some SUPER AFFLUENT parts close to the hearts of the city, like inside of the 610 lop in Houston or university park in dallas...

Hoods stayhood our here... Cuz that seems like what some of y'all want...

Originally Posted by Regis

Its crazy how it takes white people moving in for areas to look clean and be safe.
Just shows we never really took care of our own communities. How can we get mad at others for making something out of it.

Alonzo GIF...
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by frshstunna

question for nyers...with the nets being in Brooklyn now are they completely switching up the downtown area like in most cities?....I gotta check ok NY one of these days soon

And *!*% we need a few more hipsters to move into bmore
laugh.gif
...too many vacant houses and blocks that the city ain't doing anything with

The first change made was the banning of ALL left turns on Flatbush Ave. (driving torwards the Manhattan bridge) for about 20 consecutive blocks. You cant access Park Slope from that direction anymore

Edit
pdot wrote:
JoseBronx wrote:

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
grin.gif

More info pls...
I'm all the way down in NC, but for $30k I'm on it.

He meant 300.

Originally Posted by blackngold1z

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone that misses the crime. But why would you care that the neighborhood is getting "better" if you are being priced out of it and can not stay there for much longer?I know no matter how logical your argument is some people on here never change their mind, but hopefully some of you will take it from people who have a first hand perspective.

Like someone said in the other thread, we couldnt get a cop in the neighborhood if our lives depended on it (and for many people it did) and now cops are on every corner. Way to treat us like second class citizens.
From an outsiders perspective it looks like as soon as white people move in crime goes down. Blacks and Latinos must be savages. Its more like now that cops are highly visible on every corner the cops are serving as a deterrent. Wouldve been nice to have that in the 80's/90's.

Originally Posted by ricky409

Originally Posted by Regis

Its crazy how it takes white people moving in for areas to look clean and be safe.
Just shows we never really took care of our own communities. How can we get mad at others for making something out of it.

Alonzo GIF...
30t6p3b.gif
Just the first half. There's nothing right or true about that ignorant statement.

Originally Posted by roboski

JoseBronx wrote:
dont think this will happen to The South Bronx 
grin.gif

The Bronx is the Bronx, nothings changed around here since the late 80's
laugh.gif

But overall BK needed some changes. Brooklyn has crazy potential now with the new arena being built downtown and young hipsters wanting to move to BK from around the world. Brooklyn is going to be the spot in a couple years.

You never know Brooklyn might host the Olympics in 2020.
pimp.gif

Since the 80's though? Son You havn't traveled the Bronx, a lot has change from less garbage around to more inviting and reconstructed sections just look at 161st and River, trust me a lot has changed in the Bronx

Headed to Coney Island today, curious to see the new developments. Supposedly they have been "reviving" the area.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Yup. Blacks have making an exodus for anything southern. Unfortunately, for those I know they struggle down there just like they did up north.

Originally Posted by oFLUo

It does rob neighborhoods of identity and culture, and I feel for people that get pushed out of neighborhoods that they've been in for decades, especially the elderly. I don't want to live on a block with nothing but starbucks, duane reade, and chase repeating over and over and I'm not trying to pay over $1 for a bottle of water just because we got Josh & Stephanie in the neighborhood out walking their dog every night.

And while I do agree some people have certain advantages over others and the playing field is not level....that's life, deal with it.
Man...I would love this block
laugh.gif

Harlem by 125th has slowly but surely begun with massive changes especially on the West Side. East side by Lex still has issues with the crackheads but it will eventually be cleaned up as well, I see lots of construction going on in these empty lots. It will take time though.

And Btw no hipsters want to move to east flatbush and deal with all that noise 24-7 have any of you been to Church and Nostrand Ave.... I swear its orgainzed Chaos...

Back
Top Bottom