Is Carmelo Anthony Still Top 10? *Seriously??* 4/8/12

Because I believe they are more or less in the same boat talent wise and Kobe gets overrated because of the great teams he was on.

I'm not putting those two over Kobe (he's better than both IMO), I just think its laughable to compare him to players like Hakeem, Magic, Bird, Kareem etc..
I agree with you on that, but
And Kobe's not a more efficient scorer than Melo BTW.
He is though. True shooting percentage:

Career: Kobe - 55.5%, Melo - 54.5%

Career high not including this season: Kobe - 58.0%, Melo - 56.8%

Career high including this season so far: Kobe - 59.9%, Melo - 59.2%
But this a discussion for another thread.
Fair enough.

By better are yall taking into account team accomplishments? Cause some of these list couldn't possibly be based on basketball skill alone. 

KD is a far better shooter than Melo or anyone....but from an overall offensive skillset?
KD likes to stay in the perimeter, Melo can shoot the 3, attack the rim, play in the post with his back to the basket, mid-range from elbow extended, much stronger.... etc. KD is still learning some of these things
Lebron just STARTED to learn to play in the post so he has to be included with Melo/Kobe.....two years ago I wouldn't agree with that.

KD attacks the rim, and has mid range jumpers as well as some post game. He is way more of a threat offensively. Melo is playing well but that can be attributed to the better ball movement this year from the coaching and point guard pick ups. The other two can run an offense on their own with no problems, Melo I'm not so sure.

Give melo a talent like Westbrook. You know one that teams actually have to gameplan for.

It wouldn't open up Melo's game?

Durant isn't WAY better at anything. He's never been WAY better. He's just been humble, got his business tattoos, and didn't appear in a stop snitching DVD

Got no problems saying Durant is better. But way better? Nah. I've seen him tell russy to "takeover" in playoff games.

Last edited:
Knicks fans still mad about KD being better than Melo. 

****** put that argument up for along as they could before they had to throw up that white flag and just admit it 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
KD is a far better shooter than Melo or anyone....but from an overall offensive skillset?
KD likes to stay in the perimeter, Melo can shoot the 3, attack the rim, play in the post with his back to the basket, mid-range from elbow extended, much stronger.... etc. KD is still learning some of these things
Lebron just STARTED to learn to play in the post so he has to be included with Melo/Kobe.....two years ago I wouldn't agree with that.

KD attacks the rim, and has mid range jumpers as well as some post game. He is way more of a threat offensively. Melo is playing well but that can be attributed to the better ball movement this year from the coaching and point guard pick ups. The other two can run an offense on their own with no problems, Melo I'm not so sure.

Melo doesn't attack the rim, have a mid range jumper and a far superior post up game?

The better ball movement of the Knicks has been largely because of Melo's passing after he draws in the defense.

:stoneface:

:lol:

shut up.

I'm a diehard Knick fan. When comparing Melo and KD I will give the nod to KD simply because he shoots a higher percentage. Offensively speaking though Melo is the more complete player. I think a lot of time people mistake athletic ability for basketball skill. KD and Lebron are far superior athletically than Melo. 

Why are you posting about things when you clearly haven't been watching him this season and are just going by reputation?
I have been watching Knicks game this season though. That's why I said that. He definitely is giving more of a defensive effort this season.

Only two players? LeBron James? Dude scores more efficiently from anywhere and has a higher career point avg than melo. I'd argue KD is better than Melo as well.
LeBron is unstoppable as well, but like MezOne said, he jus' started postin' up. Also defenders still sag off and dare him to shoot on the perimeter. Can't say the same for Kobe and Melo. KD can't even post up little guys. He still has a ways to go offensively but he is also unguardable.

Last edited:
If Melo played with Westbrook he would know his role as a #2 and they would've probably won more than one game against Miami last year.

20 good games and everybody looses their minds, Durant is way better and has been significantly better since he made the leap in his third year, Durant may go 50/40/90 this year, which for a scorer of his volume is just unheard of there is not debate to be had.
1. Durant didn't make the leap his 3rd year, he made it after his first, just like Melo 

2. 20 Games in?

Last Season Melo; 24ppg Durant 26ppg both shot 46% from the field and averaged 3 assists. Durant averaged 1 more rebound. 

You call that significantly better? Cause I don't 

/\ Pretty sure he meant Westbrook being #2 to Melo and "knowing his role" as an underhanded shot at KD...

As if Melo is known for his leadership abilities and keeping dudes in line 
laugh.gif

Melo number 2 to Westbrook? c'mon son...
You read my post wrong or I typed it wrong whatever the reason is to clarify im saying Westbrook would know HIS role as a #2 option you would never hear Melo tell Westbrook "takeover" in a playoff game where he's shooting poorly and getting heavily criticized all series long for shooting too much KD tends to hide and defer to Westbrook all the time which I don't like at all. They would be more deadly with him and Melo playing an inside out game versus him and Durant just taking perimeter shots all game long.

You read my post wrong or I typed it wrong whatever the reason is to clarify im saying Westbrook would know HIS role as a #2 option you would never hear Melo tell Westbrook "takeover" in a playoff game where he's shooting poorly and getting heavily criticized all series long for shooting too much KD tends to hide and defer to Westbrook all the time which I don't like at all. They would be more deadly with him and Melo playing an inside out game versus him and Durant just taking perimeter shots all game long.
Agree with this wholeheartedly. Melo may or may not be better a better scorer than KD or a more complete scorer than KD or whatever, not the argument. Not even saying that Melo is the better leader of the 2 at all, because that would be untrue. Both Melo and KD have leadership qualities about them that are better than the other and others that are worse. For instance KD is more unselfish and seems easier to get along with as a teamate. But one thing you can say about Melo is that he has never deferred to anybody, especially when it matters most like the NBA Finals, while KD has.

This has been the case for both players even dating all the way back to their college careers. Melo and KD were both easily the best players on their teams and probably the best players in the entire country during their lone Freshman season. However, it was Melo's assertiveness and dominance and the mentality that he was going to take over and lead HIS team even though he was only a Freshman that paved the path for Syracuse to win the NCAA Championship behind his dominance. While KD was certainly remarkable at Texas, he never had that same mentality, and in all realness that is probably what caused them to lose in the 2nd round of the tournament. He was too unselfish when he needed to not be. This is an analysis from DraftExpress on Durant shortly after Texas' loss to USC...
Durant saw a few double-teams thrown his way here and there, but for the most part was defended straight up by 6-4 Daniel Hackett and 6-5 Nick Young. He wasn’t able to get the ball in a position to exploit those matchups, though, as he was a bit passive calling for passes when the game was still within reach and did not have the benefit of a point guard who was committed and able to get him the ball. Regardless, we still got plenty of looks at the terrific perimeter game that has made him such a deadly weapon all season long, including his long-range shooting and ability to create his own shot.

On the negative side, it would have been nice to see a bit more urgency coming from his direction. He had just 4 points in the first 15 minutes, before scoring 26 over the next 25. He just wasn’t selfish enough when his team needed him to be, while some of his lesser talented teammates certainly were. Defensively he looked hesitant to commit any fouls, letting USC’s players score easily around the rim and not going as aggressively as we’ve become accustomed to after rebounds. He did draw two charges, though, an area that he is slowly becoming an expert in as a semi-flopper.
Problems like these are still more than evident with him on the Thunder with Westbrook. I love Durant and think he is a once or twice in a generation talent, but in order for the Thunder to be successful he has to make it known that the Thunder is his team, he is the superstar, while Westbrook (although he is great at times as well) is an all-star #2 option that should always be looking for Durant #1, and himself #2.

Durant has not done this, and it is for these reasons why I agree that Melo would have been more effective/competitive playing with Westbrook in the Finals last year than Durant was. Plus the inside/outside aspect makes their games better suited for each other IMO. Westbrook/Durant are great, but there are alot of games where we see a lot of iso/jacking 3s between the 2.

Last edited:
Bottom line is, Melo is a dog. Melo is an alpha on the court. And when it comes down to a battle in the playoffs with the teams being relatively equal in talent this season (last year vs. Miami doesn't count), I'll take Melo over Durant and Lebron this season.

There is a reason that Melo is 10-1 vs. KD and 10-6 vs Lebron.

He's the only player not named Kobe that can watch KD hit a potential game winner and celebrate, then come down the court and launch a 3 point dagger at the buzzer on the road to win it.

No conscience, and unafraid of the big moment. That's why he's in NY. He's not afraid of the media or any of that nonsense. Y'all will see. Let the season keep on rollin...

Bottom line is, Melo is a dog. Melo is an alpha on the court. And when it comes down to a battle in the playoffs with the teams being relatively equal in talent this season (last year vs. Miami doesn't count), I'll take Melo over Durant and Lebron this season.

There is a reason that Melo is 10-1 vs. KD and 10-6 vs Lebron.

He's the only player not named Kobe that can watch KD hit a potential game winner and celebrate, then come down the court and launch a 3 point dagger at the buzzer on the road to win it.

No conscience, and unafraid of the big moment. That's why he's in NY. He's not afraid of the media or any of that nonsense. Y'all will see. Let the season keep on rollin...

TELL EM'....

carmeloOT.gif

:lol: at you guys thinking KD is WAY better than Melo.

IDK how to talk to you guys. We show you stats and then people say, "It's more than stats"

They we try to reason with you, and you guys throw stats at us.

No one is saying Melo is better than KD, but we're saying the comparison is closer than what people believe. Wether is through numbers or reason. Very similar players.

1. Durant didn't make the leap his 3rd year, he made it after his first, just like Melo 
2. 20 Games in?

Last Season Melo; 24ppg Durant 26ppg both shot 46% from the field and averaged 3 assists. Durant averaged 1 more rebound. 

You call that significantly better? Cause I don't 

You are making things up now.

Durant shot 49% from the field vs 46%

Shot 39% from 3, vs 33%

got to the line 1.5 times more per game

these gaps are significant

now you are simply making things up to fit your position, Durant was significantly more efficient in every aspect when it comes to putting the ball in the god damn hole.

People are sleeping on what Durant is doing in OKC, he's changed his game he's become more of a playmaker, even playing point forward at times, he's rebounding the ball better doing everything better but unfortunatly he doesn't play for the knicks so nobody is hearing about it and getting it beat into them by the hordes of unbarable knicks fans.

Durant is narrowing the gap between him and Lebron, he's a whole different tier of player than melo.

Last edited:
You are making things up now.
Durant shot 49% from the field vs 46%
Shot 39% from 3, vs 33%
got to the line 1.5 times more per game
these gaps are significant
now you are simply making things up to fit your position, Durant was significantly more efficient in every aspect when it comes to putting the ball in the god damn hole.
People are sleeping on what Durant is doing in OKC, he's changed his game he's become more of a playmaker, even playing point forward at times, he's rebounding the ball better doing everything better but unfortunatly he doesn't play for the knicks so nobody is hearing about it and getting it beat into them by the hordes of unbarable knicks fans.
Durant is narrowing the gap between him and Lebron, he's a whole different tier of player than melo.
well put...especially the last two sentences...

He gets to the line more because he's the NBA's current darling and melo is big/fat whatever's wanna call it and Durant is frail and skinny

The problem with just stats in basketball is they don't account for any other factors.

And your analysis has no place for westbrook's impact and how that directly effects Durant.

Lebron is in another tier. Durant is not. He's not significantly better. He's not on another planet.

Yeah it's all a mirage. Those darn Knicks fans changing the narrative. Got that inferiority complex because a big market is getting attention

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom