Is David Ortiz a POTENTIAL HOF'er?

fullj.getty-77539971eg001_boston_red_so.jpg

This guy is entering the prime of his career. He is a legend in RSN, and his clutch hits are well documented. Many detractors may look at him being a DH, but is that REALLY his fault? The DH has been a part of mlb for over 25+ years. Anyways, he is sitting on 266 career HR's and the all-time leader for a DH is Edgar Martinez who has 309. When it's all said and done, Ortiz should pass Martinez in just about every statistical category. Obviously Martinez isn't in the hall, but he is widely considered the best DH of all-time. For what it's worth, I don't think because someone is a DH, that it should be held against them. I think when Ortiz eventually retires he should be somewhere between 450-500 HR's and close to 1400-1500 RBI. The fact that he was a very important cog in the resurgance of the Red Sox may go a LONG way with voters.

Discuss.....

Quote:
For what it's worth, I don't think because someone is a DH, that it should be held against them.

Co-Friggin'-Sign

It's highly unfair considering that it is an official position of the game.

And David Ortiz should be HOF worthy by the end of his career and if he is, he should be inducted in, DH or no DH.

LOS ANGELES LAKERS
STL RAMS

Of course he has the potential.

Since he's been to Boston he's rung up these seasons:

2003 - 128G, 31HR, 101RBI, .288BA, .592SLG
2004 - 150G, 41HR, 139RBI, .301BA, .603SLG
2005 - 159G, 47HR, 148RBI, .300BA, .604SLG
2006 - 151G, 54HR, 137RBI, .287BA, .636SLG
2007 - 149G, 35HR, 117RBI, .332BA, .621SLG

2 rings, 4 Top-5 MVP finishes, batting .317 with 11 HR and 42 RBI in 52 postseason games.

Def. on pace, and DH will factor in but IMO wont be a problem if his numbers are there come retirement.
You're the Kind of Girl a Guy Like Me​
Could Hypnotize​

It's not like he couldn't play 1B anyways, if they asked him to, he would

It's just that Youk has a solid grasp on 1st and is a great hitter, so they don't need Ortiz in the field

he is about to turn 33 or 34 something like that with some knees that ant the best, if he puts up numbers still then ya but not sure if his knees will hold for long

TEAMlateNIGHT
>WE NEVER SLEEP<
Lets go Bulls, UCLA,Dodgers and Cowboys!
TEAMCOWBOYS

Quote:
i dont know about baseball, but why the HOF be hatin on DH's?
Team Wolverines​
TEAM DUNDER MIFFLIN: Scranton Branch​
"You don't call ******ed people ******s. Bad taste. You call your friends ******s."​

hes on the right track. DH will hurt him a little though.
to be a hall of famer you have to be outstanding!
TEAMATLANTAHAWKS​

continue his streak of homers, ribbies and he should be a contender.

Francis
teamdecepticon​
T R A N S F O R M E R S​
TEAMlateNIGHT

Five more years of averaging 35 HR 100+ RBI, and he'll be a HOFer. He's 32 years old, so if he manages to put up those numbers in the next 5 years, he should be good to go.
4L8O15S16T23!42​
T E A M N E W Y O R K K N I C K S​
TEAM DUNDER MIFFLIN: Scranton Branch​
"Please don't throw garbage at me." - Pam Beesly​

I like Big Papi, if he can keep producing the numbers he is putting up, I don't see why not.

Yes he is, as long as he hides the syringes in a secret location.
I'm herpes free, if it matters
some girls are bigger than others, some girls mothers are bigger than other girls mothers
Boycott Perishable Chinese Imports

Pretty much a HOF player needs to be have a long and dominating career. There's an outlier though when it comes to the HOF. Sandy Koufax had only 6 outstanding seasons and then was inducted into the HOF. David Ortiz has been doing this for relatively the same amount of years (5 years) and if he were to retire today, I don't think he's making it.
justhotkicks:
Five more years of averaging 35 HR 100+ RBI, and he'll be a HOFer. He's 32 years old, so if he manages to put up those numbers in the next 5 years, he should be good to go.

Co-sign. He needs to keep this up.
And I'd like to add that I miss season threads.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
Azubuike - Barnes - Belinelli - Biedrins - Croshere - Davis - Ellis
Harrington - Hudson - Jackson - Lasme - O'Bryant - Perovic - Pietrus - Wright

Yea Papi's well on his way to getting to the Hall. As long as he doesn't suffer any significant injuries he should be a sure thing.
NY Nitty Gritty
F.B.G.$​

The potential is certainly there but I do have my doubts considering he is starting his off season with knee surgery and the general disdain amongst purists, zodogg, for designated hitters when it comes to HOF voting.

It's still too early to tell. Your question includes the word "potential", it's obvious Ortiz is a potential HOF'er. But he's going to have to keep hitting well for a couple of more seasons.

I think Ortiz's partner, Manny Ramirez is a guaranteed HOFer

:smh:
smh.gif
play some damn defense and maybe.
DH is for old players that cant field their position due to age but can still hit. Or to give a guy a half a day off. But for u to suck so bad at defense that u can only bat? :smh:
smh.gif
Team Clippers
TEAM SAINTS

Reactions: HIM
^ But he doesn't suck at defense, so where is your arguement?

Certain DH's, yes...they suck at defense

Ortiz? He is capable of starting at 1B for any team

Back
Top Bottom