Is Harder To Skate or Surf?

Originally Posted by JUNNLEE

never surfed before but always have wanted to.. i will say this tho, skating a 16 stair will get you a lot more hurt then a surfing a comparable wave
Skating a 16 stair is like the equivalent of surfing pipeline.  Now a 16 stair you can get pretty damn hurt, break some bones.  Surfing pipeline you can break bones on a reef that sits a few feet under water when it is really pumping, and also has a bunch of shelves that you can get stuck under and drown.  Now what is worse, falling down stairs and breaking an arm, or being on a big wave and get pummeled into a reef with no control of how you body is going to land into it, with arguably more speed.  I have both skated and surfed, and surfing is much harder and holds more dangers than skateboarding.

lol, how is this a real question?

obviously surfing

on an advanced level there's way more to do on a skateboard tho which makes it harder down the line

Definitely surfing. You can take a bus to get to a top of the hill. When you go surfing you always have to swim out.

Originally Posted by rice boy 45

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
wavy

Originally Posted by airblaster503

never surfed before but always have wanted to.. i will say this tho, skating a 16 stair will get you a lot more hurt then a surfing a comparable wave
Skating a 16 stair is like the equivalent of surfing pipeline.  Now a 16 stair you can get pretty damn hurt, break some bones.  Surfing pipeline you can break bones on a reef that sits a few feet under water when it is really pumping, and also has a bunch of shelves that you can get stuck under and drown.  Now what is worse, falling down stairs and breaking an arm, or being on a big wave and get pummeled into a reef with no control of how you body is going to land into it, with arguably more speed.  I have both skated and surfed, and surfing is much harder and holds more dangers than skateboarding.
sure u could hurt yourself by bailing into a reef but isnt that the same for skateboarding? if youre skating or surfing around sketchy spots youre bound to hurt yourself more.. and as for the speed im fairly certain that you can get going a lot faster on a skateboard which means falling (especially on terrible ground) will +@$% you up real bad.. not saying anything about surfing as im sure its extremely demanding and easy to get hurt but at the end of the day id rather be falling into water than solid rock

harder to learn? probably surfing, but apples to oranges really
you can't compare the technicality that skateboarding has

Skateboarding tricks make it a little more difficult, but people who skate vert sometimes have skills from surfing. 

I was able to learn to ride a long board in one week.

Never been able to do more than stand on a skateboard.

For me, surfing is easier.

Originally Posted by doofelos

Originally Posted by airblaster503

sure u could hurt yourself by bailing into a reef but isnt that the same for skateboarding? if youre skating or surfing around sketchy spots youre bound to hurt yourself more.. and as for the speed im fairly certain that you can get going a lot faster on a skateboard which means falling (especially on terrible ground) will +@$% you up real bad.. not saying anything about surfing as im sure its extremely demanding and easy to get hurt but at the end of the day id rather be falling into water than solid rock
Lets see, falling onto terrible ground, that you can still roll over on a skateboard or falling onto a jagged reef, I would take the ground all day.  As for speed you have no idea how fast a wave actually makes you go if you are trying that argument.  You can say you would rather fall into water all you want, but the fact is that jumping into water and falling in a wave are 2 different things.  Try having less than a second to take in a breath then perhaps being held underwater for possibly up to a few minutes, and being thrown around by the water churning.  Sure surfing a small easy wave would be less stressful, but you are the one who made a comparison of a 16 stair, and the equivalent to surfing is much more demanding and holds a much higher risk. 

Plus it sounds like you have never surfed in your life, so your opinion to me is completely invalid. 

As a skater, if you're just cruising around or whatever, surfing takes more skill to get started moving. When it comes to tricks, skateboarding is wayyyy more painful if your going down big gaps/stairs/hand rails/pools. The water is generally more forgiving than asphalt or concrete. They both have their difficulties.

In terms of simply riding, surfing is harder. However the complexity and difficulty of some skateboarding tricks is absolutely INSANE. 

havent done either but i would assume surfing because the waves can be dangerous and you can drown

Originally Posted by mjd77

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

No sharks on the street.

...but those pesky cracks and stones will get you every time.
A woodchip on the asphalt next to the local playground was what got me once. My front tooth will never be the same again. 
mad.gif

Back
Top Bottom