Is it me, or is ESPN's NBA HD coverage...

1080i can provide a really sharp image, but bad for fast motion. 720p is great all around, but not as many lines to produce detail as 1080i would. Like others said 720p IS better for sports. FOX has some outstanding HD, but ESPN/ABC do not. It's not only what resolution it's broadcast at, it depends on the cameras used, how much compression is happening through the signal from the actual feed and how much compression through your provider.
TEAM XBOX360​
.: nnarum :.​
MINNESOTA TWINS

lol @ the mass confusion.

720p is NOT better than 1080i. yes progressive > interlaced because the lines are doubled allowing for a smoother image. However, 720 is an inferior resolution. its like saying 480p is better than 1080i becuz 480p is progressive. the progressive part only has to do with line doubling and has nothin to do with providing a better resolution, which 1080i does. thats why CBS and NBC look better than FOX and ABC becuz they are at a higher resolution but lack line doubling that the progressive signal provides.

jus think of ur computer screens. having a 1024x768 resolution looks better than 640x480. better yet, use the comparison when playing computer games. the higher the resolution, the better the game looks.

Quote:
720p is NOT better than 1080i. yes progressive > interlaced because the lines are doubled allowing for a smoother image. However, 720 is an inferior resolution. its like saying 480p is better than 1080i becuz 480p is progressive. the progressive part only has to do with line doubling and has nothin to do with providing a better resolution, which 1080i does. thats why CBS and NBC look better than FOX and ABC becuz they are at a higher resolution but lack line doubling that the progressive signal provides.
TEAM XBOX360
.: nnarum :.
MINNESOTA TWINS

for me ESPN HD is one of the best.
TNT is the worst, honestly. I hate watching basketball on TNT.
TBS HD for the baseball playoffs was awesome.
FOX HD is so-so.

-J-
TEAMNEWENGLANDPATRIOTS​

TEAM PS3
PLAY B3YOND

Sometimes ESPN is good sometimes it sucks. TNT HD is nice tho. I was watchin the Rockets vs Lakers game on it. CRAZYYY!!!!

I think some of you guys may not have tweaked your TV's settings at all. Checkout your model on Cnet.com for some good HDTV calibration settings.
s l a s h a n d b u r n

I hear you, Eagle. At home, the TNT HD looks much crisper.....but then I go to a sportsbar and their ESPN HD is money. Maybe I just need a better TV - lol.
team am fam / team vintage heatflintgreynt@gmail.com
myspace.com/flintgreynt

1080i = higher resolution
720p = lower resolution but line doubling. thats why there is less "pixelation" when things are moving in 720p. however, the resolution is lower theres no disputing that.

Someone school me on HD. Don't you need an HD subscription to a channel to enjoy HD? One cannot just go out an buy HDTV and turn on a basketball game on TNT and expect to get HD, right?
TEAM CLEVELAND CAVS
James, D.Brown, S.Brown, Gibson, Hughes, Z, Damon, D.Jones, Marshall, Newble, Gooden, Bruise,Nichols, Simmons, Snow, Sasha​

^^^
Correct. Usually your satellite provider has some sort of HD offering which requires a premium and an HD receiver. I used to have Direct TV, but when I switched to HD, Direct TV became a pain in the @#%$: were hyping their HD to high hell, yet didn't have the hardware ready yet to meet the demand. The Super Bowl was like 3 weeks away, and I wouldn't have had Direct TV HD until around six weeks thereafter. So I switched to Dish Network.
"Sports Do Not Build Character, They Reveal It." - John Wooden
TEAM AM FAM

98% of you HD Gurus would fail a double blind test as to what format the HD was in. :smh:
smh.gif
"It's simple for everyone else, give 'em a Big Mac and a pair of Nikes and they're happy..." - Ghost World

sure people say 720p is better than 1080i, but i always prefer to watch 1080i because IT LOOKS BETTER

i dont care what tests say, i go off what my eyes say.

///
TEAM LAKERS
teamdecepticon
T R A N S F O R M E R S​

TNT has always been my favorite HD channel. It's great.
TEAM RAVENS​
Let LMP Post - Team Ravens Founding Father - Member #52​
Lewis - Scott - Stills - Suggs - Reed - Landry - McAlister - Rolle - Pryce - Ngata - Johnson​
McNair - McGahee - Green - Mason - Clayton - Heap - Ogden - Brown - Flynn - Vincent - Terry - Sams - Stover​

TNT has the best basketball in HD but overall CBS is the best for sports. ESPN is on and sometimes it is good but sometimes it is crap.
TEAM LAKERS
1949-1950-1952-1953-1954-1972-1980-1982-1985-1987-1988-2000-2001-2002​
TEAM EAGLES
3-4 right now, Cowboys up next!!!​

Sportscenter is pretty damn good looking. Their footbll coverage is weak though...

Poker looked great as well. I don't get why PTI and Around the Horn aren't HD yet. Those are huge shows.
s l a s h a n d b u r n

Back
Top Bottom