Is it me or only British people enjoy British television?

I enjoy British humor a lot...its a lot smarter than our comedy. Way more sarcasm and wit.

Thats just me though.

i used to watch Mr. Bean when i was a kid...his show was funny and he never said anything.

i think being American has a lot to do with it. I personally like the OG Office, Peep show , Misfits(not really a comedy, but has funny stuff), & IT Crowd. British comedy is way different from our comedy.

Originally Posted by seniosoul

i used to watch Mr. Bean when i was a kid...his show was funny and he never said anything.
Mr. Bean was a comic genius and I don't care what anyone else thinks of that 
laugh.gif

I like Guy Ritchie movies. I think those are considered comedies. That's about all I can take.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Originally Posted by seniosoul

Mr. Bean was a comic genius and I don't care what anyone else thinks of that 
laugh.gif

I don't watch alot except top gear and kitchen nightmares. I just think Americans don't like dry humor as much. I do though.

You really shouldn't watch Dr. Who unless you're a die hard scifi fan imo.  They actually have a lot of great shows - Misfits and MI5 being 2 of them.  Plus a LOT of their shows are copied and made for Americans - American Idol, X Factor, The Office, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, etc.  

I enjoy British humor a lot and European humor to a further extent. Trigger Happy TV, BBC comedy presents
pimp.gif
Only thing is understanding the meaning of certain words.

Of course Mr.. Bean is a classic. I like watching the Ministry of Laughs comedy block of shows on BBC America like The Inbetweeners.

Dr. Who is NOT a comedy man
laugh.gif
It is a sci fi show. It's like the Sliders except the Doctor travels through time and some times to different dimensions. So if you're not in to sci fi you're not going to get it.

On the whole, British people like British things, American people like American things, etc. Though I'm not sure if this has to do with your problem with Doctor Who since, as other people have already pointed out, if you don't like sci-fi, you probably won't like the show.

On a related tangent, I think humor is one of the most difficult things to translate across different cultures. It seems like a "You had to be there, man!" kind of deal. Perhaps that's why Shakespeare's dramas come off better than his comedies.

when i was in jr. high, i caught a couple of re-run episodes of Chef! and couldn't stop watching it from that point on.  it really was a charmingly funny show.

I love their sarcastic comedy personally but, America has so many different types of comedy so I can see why some don't find their comedy entertaining.

Dr. Who is awesome. I like science fi, never messed with it for a good while, but once I did I was hooked. British television is fantastic. Chances are some of your favorite shows are remakes of British tele.

Back
Top Bottom