is it Really Not OK to Not Know who Paul McCarteny Is???

Originally Posted by AG 47

It has everything to do with race. Growing up in Oakland, you know how many bands I had heard of by the time I was 18? 0. None. Not even one.

I hadn't heard a backstreet boys song or n'sync or any of those dudes who were apparently popular simply because I was never exposed to it. I didn't have
white people at my schools like that so I would never come across. Never watched MTV. It was almost as if I lived exclusively in this rap bubble.

So it's very reasonable to understand how someone would not know who Paul McCartney is.
That "bubble" is self-imposed. I grew up on hiphop and spent my entire childhood in the Bronx. No one was riding around blasting the Beatles. Yet still I somehow managed to know who the Dahli Lama is, who Paul McCartney is, who George Washington Carver is, who Queen Elizabeth is, who Sir Isaac Newton is, and so on. The onus is on the individual. 

DC is always playing the race card and stays negative as anyone I've seen on here; I would hate to be this dude's kids...they aren't going allowed to eat Fruit Rolls or drink soda

You see the problem is we live in the digital age. In this age ignorance, more often than not, is willful. People like yourselves rather buck and ask "why should I" than take the time to educate yourself. In the time its taking you to argue your point you could've educated yourself fully on Paul McCartney's legacy. And it's not just with music. People are willfully ignorant on many topics. Personally, the way I was raised is if you don't know something you ask. That was before the internet age. Now if you don't know something its your responsibility to school yourself.

Yea I am the problem with the digital age. Thanks.
Sue me again.

But what if I said I wasn't interested in knowing any more about the dude? I know who he is/was, but after that I don't care. Why should I continue to research about the man?

What is the context anyway? Why would anyone bring up Paul in a thread about chris brown?

Originally Posted by RavageBX

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by Wilroc

No John Lennon though? 
alien.gif

And I guess not many dudes know George Harrison.
Heard the name before. If I was handed a blank piece of paper with his name of it asking me to write who he was I wouldn't have known before you just told me. 

Sue me.

You see the problem is we live in the digital age. In this age ignorance, more often than not, is willful. People like yourselves rather buck and ask "why should I" than take the time to educate yourself. In the time its taking you to argue your point you could've educated yourself fully on Paul McCartney's legacy. And it's not just with music. People are willfully ignorant on many topics. Personally, the way I was raised is if you don't know something you ask. That was before the internet age. Now if you don't know something its your responsibility to school yourself.

which is just the way it is nowdays... im ignorant or stupid for not knowing the members of the jersey shore to many, the same way i could say its ignorant for not knowing who misaka is... who ironically enough did the same thing jeremy lin did decades ago... but the bandwagaon ignorant train always have room for passengers.

Originally Posted by AlBooBoo5

What is the context anyway? Why would anyone bring up Paul in a thread about chris brown?
It was Grammy's Talk.
Paul McCartney was on the Grammy's.

People on Twitter (young "urban kids") were saying they didn't know who he was.

People on NT didn't understand why those people didn't know who he was.

It depends on how old you are. When I was at work, we had just found out that Whitney Houston had passed and we're talking to a customer about it. Her daughter who was at least 17 had no clue who she was.

HankMoody wrote:
Who said it wasn't okay to not know them? It's perfectly fine. I just don't consider yourself a big fan of music when you can't name the lead singer of the most famous and best-selling band to have ever existed. Yes that is fact. You don't have to listen to any of their songs. You don't have to like them. It just tells me about a bubble. I'm not saying you need to know him but any cursory look into music should reveal The Beatles and Lennon-McCartney. It just should.

I'm trying to think of comparisons on the fly but it's as if a basketball fan does not know of Bill Russell. That tells me a lot.

i agree with you somewhat but again like i used religion its like saying your a christian and celebrate pagan holidays or have white jesus in your church. shoukd we dismiss and disregard and say most of them are ignorant or shouldnt be taken seriously?

Originally Posted by 8PM at MSG

It depends on how old you are. When I was at work, we had just found out that Whitney Houston had passed and we're talking to a customer about it. Her daughter who was at least 17 had no clue who she was.
but in reality Whitney hasn't been relevant for a long time musically; Paul hasn't gone away pretty much ever 

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

How does he not know who John Lennon is? Even that idiot Lil Wayne made a song about him 
laugh.gif

Again, I just love how you all (not just you PEOPLE in general) condemn someone for not knowing who a celebrity is as if it is something worthwhile, or even important. We are talking about John Lennon, me not knowing him really speaks of the quality of my life or something? Really? I could see if we are speaking of a former leader of the country or the civil rights movement but a damn member of a trivial band (in my life they are trivial) makes you react like that? 
Cool.

Originally Posted by RavageBX

Originally Posted by AG 47

It has everything to do with race. Growing up in Oakland, you know how many bands I had heard of by the time I was 18? 0. None. Not even one.

I hadn't heard a backstreet boys song or n'sync or any of those dudes who were apparently popular simply because I was never exposed to it. I didn't have

white people at my schools like that so I would never come across. Never watched MTV. It was almost as if I lived exclusively in this rap bubble.

So it's very reasonable to understand how someone would not know who Paul McCartney is.
That "bubble" is self-imposed. I grew up on hiphop and spent my entire childhood in the Bronx. No one was riding around blasting the Beatles. Yet still I somehow managed to know who the Dahli Lama is, who Paul McCartney is, who George Washington Carver is, who Queen Elizabeth is, who Sir Isaac Newton is, and so on. The onus is on the individual. 

Disagree. I didn't have internet in my household until I started high school. So it wasn't like, "hey, just google it!" That wasn't always an option, not for me at least. Plus how are you to google something you've never heard of or someone you've never heard of. I have no problems "researching" or "educating" myself on a subject matter if it's warranted. The friends I had were worse off so it's not like they'd be a resource to learn from. As a kid, if you didn't get exposed to something through your friends or parents, you weren't left with much left after that. That's where I did the bulk of my learning until my household got the internet.

Plus Paul McCartney is a musician. The likelihood of him being in a history book is next to none. However, those other people you mentioned would have AT LEAST been mentioned in a classroom setting. So it makes perfect sense to at least being exposed to those figures at an early age.

familiar with his name and it's association with music. had no idea he was in the Beatles. couldn't give 2 dambs either.

Originally Posted by StillIn729

but in reality Whitney hasn't been relevant for a long time musically; Paul hasn't gone away pretty much ever 
What has Paul McCartney contributed to society within the last 15 years? Serious question since you are saying he hasn't gone away.

Originally Posted by LDJ

HankMoody wrote:
Who said it wasn't okay to not know them? It's perfectly fine. I just don't consider yourself a big fan of music when you can't name the lead singer of the most famous and best-selling band to have ever existed. Yes that is fact. You don't have to listen to any of their songs. You don't have to like them. It just tells me about a bubble. I'm not saying you need to know him but any cursory look into music should reveal The Beatles and Lennon-McCartney. It just should.

I'm trying to think of comparisons on the fly but it's as if a basketball fan does not know of Bill Russell. That tells me a lot.

i agree with you somewhat but again like i used religion its like saying your a christian and celebrate pagan holidays or have white jesus in your church. shoukd we dismiss and disregard and say most of them are ignorant or shouldnt be taken seriously?

A Christian isn't a fan of religion. He is a fan of Christianity. I completely understand how people will not know Paul McCartney but I am saying that if you consider yourself a big fan of MUSIC, not rap music, not rock music, not whatever, it's basically inexcusable. 

What has Paul McCartney contributed to society within the last 15 years? Serious question since you are saying he hasn't gone away.

I was just about to say that too. The last I heard Paul's name brought up in some significance was either him losing half to his wife or Michael buying the rights to his music.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

A Christian isn't a fan of religion. He is a fan of Christianity. I completely understand how people will not know Paul McCartney but I am saying that if you consider yourself a big fan of MUSIC, not rap music, not rock music, not whatever, it's basically inexcusable. 
I hear you but the original argument was how can ANYONE not know who Paul McCartney was. Not someone that claimed to be a big music fan. 
"At the end of the day" it is all about certain people not understanding that YOUR WORLD is not equal to EVRYONE'S world. It is very possible for people to grow up in America and not have the same heros and idols that you have. It is very possible. ANd it doesn't mean that the person is any less of an American or any less educated or any more ignorant because there are things in their world that you have no clue of. So it is all about exposure. Exposure. Exposure. 

oh I didn't know contributing to music meant contributing to society...why are you so miserable?

First off I want to appologize for the spelling mistakes. I'm posting from my 9700 and its gotta be one of the worst mobile devices for posting on the internet. if I was at my computer I'd take the time to check names.

Lol at my opinion on music can't be taken seriously over this. (Some) people have been taking my opinion on music seriously in the music forum, on the okayplayer boards, at philaflava, etc for years. You telling me that my opinions some how mean less now that its been revealed that I didn't know the name of one of the Beatles? Brb I gotta go tell the interwebz my opinion on anything music related has been invalidated.

Seriously though, we don't all come from the same place. The Beatles weren't played in my household growing up. They weren't played at family events. They weren't on the radio stations I listened to, my friends didn't listen to them, I never watched a lot of TV so anything on MTV or VH1 I probably missed. Why would I know a lot about the Betales if I wasn't exposed to them?

I was exposed to A LOT of other stuff. Stuff that had more impact on me and others like me, and my parents, and their parents before them, than the Beatles did. Stuff that I bet some of you have absolutely no idea about.

Ill be the first to say DC likes the argue for the sake of arguing but in this case hes really not that far off.

How you going to judge a person and call them ignorant for not knowing something about pop culture?
For all you know they could be volunteering their weekends at homeless shelters.

But you know who Paul McCartney is so clearly youre the better person.

@StillIn729
I asked what did he contribute to SOCIETY not music. Re-Read before you sass please.
I would like for you to explain your statement of Paul McCartney hasn't gone away. 

That is news to me, since you said he hasn't gone away tell me his significance of the last 15 years.

I will wait.

Originally Posted by cap1229

Do you know who Freddie Mercury is? 
ohwell.gif

Never heard of the dude. No BS.

oh I didn't know contributing to music meant contributing to society...why are you so miserable?

Aaaaaand that train is never late. It now that time of the argument where we resort to personal attacks to justify our stances.

Sure, that'll sway me.

Back
Top Bottom