is Kanye the best at putting other artists on?

12,112
12
Joined Jan 3, 2008
Dude has more success around him with other artists than most other camps...DTP, RocaFella (Beans had 1 albums, bleek had 1, freeway had 1 and Kanye...), GrandHustle is a close contender with that super stacked roster; Definitely more than No Limit or Young Money/Cash Money...or any group other than maybe Wu Tang.

Lets be real here, dude is responsible for the mainstream recognition of

Consequence
Lupe Fiasco
John Legend
Common (you can not deny that once Kanye blessed "Be," Common was a new man in the eyes of the public)
Big Sean
Kid Cudi (WILL prosper with the affliation)
Mr. Hudson (bringing him to bigger stage)
Dilated Peoples
GLC
Malik Yusef
Twista *added after edit*
 
1,987
10
Joined May 3, 2009
I've never agreed with the notion that Kanye West put Common on/was responsible for his success.

Yea he blessed him on BE but I'll attribute Commons new found mainstream appeal to his own grind, hard work, and ability. Unless that is one of yall canconvince me that who ever's in charge of marketing over at GAP heard BE and was like "Damn, Kanye West is really behind this dude Common, let'sgive him an add campaign."

That being said;

-old Com > new Com

-and yea, I wouldn't mind havin Kanye pushing for me nh
 
12,112
12
Joined Jan 3, 2008
Originally Posted by StarkyL0ve

I've never agreed with the notion that Kanye West put Common on/was responsible for his success.

Yea he blessed him on BE but I'll attribute Commons new found mainstream appeal to his own grind, hard work, and ability. Unless that is one of yall can convince me that who ever's in charge of marketing over at GAP heard BE and was like "Damn, Kanye West is really behind this dude Common, let's give him an add campaign."
speaking of which, are you just a huge ghostface fan? cause that avy...and SN...


But yeah, Common put in work. Hard. But dudes weren't CHECKING for him like they should have since the early 90s when he had been doing the same thing allalong. You can't deny that impact. By the time Finding Forever came out, dudes were hyping that up in anticipation that it would be better than"Be"
 
2,815
11
Joined Apr 18, 2008
Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

Dude has more success around him with other artists than most other camps...DTP, RocaFella (Beans had 1 albums, bleek had 1, freeway had 1 and Kanye...), Grand Hustle is a close contender with that super stacked roster; Definitely more than No Limit or Young Money/Cash Money...or any group other than maybe Wu Tang.

Lets be real here, dude is responsible for the mainstream recognition of

Consequence
Lupe Fiasco
John Legend
Common (you can not deny that once Kanye blessed "Be," Common was a new man in the eyes of the public)
Big Sean
Kid Cudi (WILL prosper with the affliation)
Mr. Hudson (bringing him to bigger stage)
Dilated Peoples
GLC
Malik Yusef
you are so right
Don't for Keyshia and Twista....Imean, he was known but he wasn't known. @%+*, throw Jamie in the pile too.
 
1,987
10
Joined May 3, 2009
Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

But dudes weren't CHECKING for him like they should have since the early 90s when he had been doing the same thing all along. You can't deny that impact. By the time Finding Forever came out, dudes were hyping that up in anticipation that it would be better than "Be"
Truth, and yea I'm a huge Ghost fan
 
12,112
12
Joined Jan 3, 2008
Originally Posted by StarkyL0ve

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

But dudes weren't CHECKING for him like they should have since the early 90s when he had been doing the same thing all along. You can't deny that impact. By the time Finding Forever came out, dudes were hyping that up in anticipation that it would be better than "Be"
Truth, and yea I'm a huge Ghost fan
Unless you're Mr. Tony Stark himself...
...in whichcase, your feature on BlackOut2! was ill...haha
 
69,545
23,394
Joined Aug 1, 2004
as far as quantity is concerned?

camron put out da most rappers under diplomats

juelz
jim
jr writer
hell rell
sheist bubz
a-mafia
tom gist
40 cal
unkasa
max b
 
12,112
12
Joined Jan 3, 2008
Originally Posted by ninjahood

as far as quantity is concerned?

camron put out da most rappers under diplomats

juelz
jim
jr writer
hell rell
sheist bubz
[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]a-mafia[/color]
[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]tom gist[/color]
[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]40 cal[/color]
[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]unkasa[/color]
max b
Who?

Nah man...

You heard the song. To "Put On" ...is putting on. Them? They ain't on. They don't even know whereto look to get on at...
 
69,545
23,394
Joined Aug 1, 2004
da dipset power enabled jim, juelz, and cam to put all they dudes on

you know what....none of us is right.





this guy is da winner...from NWA, to death row, to aftermath, to g-unit.
 
7,010
521
Joined Mar 8, 2001
Cons, Common and Twista are a stretch. I don't know if I would say Cons really has "recognition"

GLC, Cudi and Big Sean still got a ways to get before I would consider them really "recognized." Most people think "Day & Nite" is JimJones song

Legitimate artists that are really "big" are Lupe and John Legend.
 
382
10
Joined Oct 9, 2008
Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

Cons, Common and Twista are a stretch. I don't know if I would say Cons really has "recognition"

GLC, Cudi and Big Sean still got a ways to get before I would consider them really "recognized." Most people think "Day & Nite" is Jim Jones song

Legitimate artists that are really "big" are Lupe and John Legend.
a) WHAT?

b) How is Kanye by any means responsible for the incredible buzz Lupe built on all those FNF mixtapes? Don't say his career took off from Touch the Sky,that was like, the fourth single off LR.
 

m16

Banned
2,799
10
Joined Apr 3, 2009
Vinnie Paz.

Without him most of these would have half the fans they have now, if any.

Apathy
Celph Titled
Chief Kamachi
Crypt the Warchild
Demoz
Des Devious
Doap Nixon
Esoteric
King Magnetic
Jus Allah
King Syze
Planetary
Reef the Lost Cauze
7L
Virtuoso
Bahamadia
Stoupe
Faez One
Lost Children of Babylon

"but nobody has heard of them anyway
"
yeah, maybe if you don't know anything about rap.

That type of talent pool hasn't been seen in rap unless you combine Wu-Tang and Juice Crew together in their primes and sprinke some more 90's NYCduo's/crews on top.
 

delete1234

Formerly 'mrwavez'
18,491
6,329
Joined Mar 28, 2009
Originally Posted by itsphillthy

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

Cons, Common and Twista are a stretch. I don't know if I would say Cons really has "recognition"

GLC, Cudi and Big Sean still got a ways to get before I would consider them really "recognized." Most people think "Day & Nite" is Jim Jones song

Legitimate artists that are really "big" are Lupe and John Legend.
a) WHAT?

b) How is Kanye by any means responsible for the incredible buzz Lupe built on all those FNF mixtapes? Don't say his career took off from Touch the Sky, that was like, the fourth single off LR.

That was the first time I heard him, So i wouldnt say thats too far fetched.


Twista is dead n gone
 
3,487
93
Joined Oct 16, 2006
Originally Posted by M16

Vinnie Paz.

Without him most of these would have half the fans they have now, if any.

Apathy
Celph Titled
Chief Kamachi
Crypt the Warchild
Demoz
Des Devious
Doap Nixon
Esoteric
King Magnetic
Jus Allah
King Syze
Planetary
Reef the Lost Cauze
7L
Virtuoso
Bahamadia
Stoupe
Faez One
Lost Children of Babylon

"but nobody has heard of them anyway
"
yeah, maybe if you don't know anything about rap.

That type of talent pool hasn't been seen in rap unless you combine Wu-Tang and Juice Crew together in their primes and sprinke some more 90's NYC duo's/crews on top.
I'm sorry I don't know rap, but outside of Apathy, I have no idea who those guys are.
 

m16

Banned
2,799
10
Joined Apr 3, 2009
Originally Posted by Ricky Walters

Originally Posted by M16

Vinnie Paz.




Without him most of these would have half the fans they have now, if any.




What's half of 0?
See the 2nd sentence from the bottom. Applies for you, I know that for a fact.
 
2,754
142
Joined Mar 1, 2007
Originally Posted by WearinTheFourFive

Originally Posted by M16

Vinnie Paz.

Without him most of these would have half the fans they have now, if any.

Apathy
Celph Titled
Chief Kamachi
Crypt the Warchild
Demoz
Des Devious
Doap Nixon
Esoteric
King Magnetic
Jus Allah
King Syze
Planetary
Reef the Lost Cauze
7L
Virtuoso
Bahamadia
Stoupe
Faez One
Lost Children of Babylon

"but nobody has heard of them anyway
"
yeah, maybe if you don't know anything about rap.

That type of talent pool hasn't been seen in rap unless you combine Wu-Tang and Juice Crew together in their primes and sprinke some more 90's NYC duo's/crews on top.
I'm sorry I don't know rap, but outside of Apathy, I have no idea who those guys are.
i guess i don't know rap either
 
70,003
25,126
Joined Nov 20, 2007
I'm not sure of your definition of mainstream, there's being put on in music period and then being put on in just the hip hop realm. I'll give youLupe and John Legend for the former though and know he aint the best.
 
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now