Is Kevin Durant a once-in-a-generation type of talent?

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Once in a generation talents dominate on both sides of the ball, Kevin doesn't do that he sleeps on the other side of the ball.
But Chris Bosh is a franchise player...
hell no he isn't

not alone. needs another all star

Originally Posted by BangDak

Datz, if Durant can bulk up, dont you think he'll be able to play from sg, down to pf?

He has the size, and the quickness, to do so. Dude's ceiling is the sky for him.

Why do people keep saying he needs to bulk up? It's not like his lack of muscle is hurting him, he's attempting the 3rd most FTs per game behind D12 and Bron. His game is tailored to his frailty if that makes sense.

^ I agree, he's doing fine with the bulk he has. Many basketball players don't like to add weight to there arms because it can throw off there shot

yes, he is.

you could tell immediately from his college days. probably the best college player we've seen.

Datz, if Durant can bulk up, dont you think he'll be able to play from sg, down to pf?

He has the size, and the quickness, to do so. Dude's ceiling is the sky for him.
You mean defensively? Because no team is guarding Durant with an SG and having any type of success. Look at Rashard Lewis, bulked up significantly, even used illegal means to do so, isn't changing the type of player or game he has. He just is who he is.

I feel the same way about Durant. Like I said, he already posts up guys. It's more of a finesse post up than a bully post up like you might see from somebody like Artest or Perkins, but again that type of play isn't even prevalent anymore. Too many guys flopping, too many soft calls fighting for position, too many double teaming guards looking to rip if you take too many backdown dribbles.

If KD were injury prone, or easily being pushed out of comfortable scoring position, or couldn't finish after contact well, or getting bullied in the post or on box outs for rebounds, I'd be concerned about his weight. But since that's not the case, I don't see it as much of an issue. Etan Thomas is brolic as +#%% and I don't think this dude has played 2 games in a row since the Thunder came to OKC.

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

yes, he is.

you could tell immediately from his college days. probably the best college player we've seen.
Remember watching him against Ok. State one game, I honestly never seen ANY college player in my eyes dominate & shoot the ball like he did
sick.gif

laugh.gif
@ people worrying about his body. sheesh.

I'd like to see more tenacity on the defensive side though.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Once in a generation talents dominate on both sides of the ball, Kevin doesn't do that he sleeps on the other side of the ball.
At 21, was Lebron dominating both sides of the ball?

LONG before Lebron's defense was to where it is today, he was still regarded as a once-in-a-generation player.  Obviously Lebron & KD are two different types of players, but the point is...give him time. 

If Westbrok wasn't on the team, they wouldn't be in the playoff race.

Not trying to hate, but he gets zero credit.

Originally Posted by DMan14

ya forgot about tmac? these two are basically the same type of players. if jonathan bender had healthy knees...(only guy to take reggie miller and larry bird's money on the regular in shooting contest)

i came in here to say this.

The defensive side will come with experience. Durant has the talent and athleticism to be an all league defender.

Originally Posted by 85wasagreatyear

ya forgot about tmac? these two are basically the same type of players. if jonathan bender had healthy knees...(only guy to take reggie miller and larry bird's money on the regular in shooting contest)

i came in here to say this.
Maybe on the court, butT Mac has had terrible relationships with all of his coaches and most of his team mates didn't like him or his tendency to bad mouth them. He also scores in an opposite way of KD, which involves lots of ballstopping, having it for an entire possession, and team mates standing around.

All of the Thunder seem to love playing with KD, he and Scottie Brooks have nothing but praise for each other and he never had said anything close to the types of things TMac used to say in interviews. '

Whether or not he can become a better winner than TMac is yet to be seen, but he is undoubtedly a better team mate by far.

but KD is winning. T-mac wasnt.

The thing that stands out to me the most is the efficiency with which he scores. He's not the type of player to take a million dribbles and then take a fadeaway three pointer like so many other volume scorers are. He's much more mature at his age than many other players have been, and I think that will only help him continue to get better. I wouldn't be surprised if he averaged more than 30 points a game in the next few years. He's going to be a top 5 player in the league for a long time.

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

Why do people keep saying he needs to bulk up? It's not like his lack of muscle is hurting him, he's attempting the 3rd most FTs per game behind D12 and Bron. His game is tailored to his frailty if that makes sense.
This was a reference to a post above me. And you obviously didnt read my post.

DatZNasty wrote:
Youmean defensively? Because no team is guarding Durant with an SG andhaving any type of success. Look at Rashard Lewis, bulked upsignificantly, even used illegal means to do so, isn't changing thetype of player or game he has. He just is who he is.

I feelthe same way about Durant. Like I said, he already posts up guys. It'smore of a finesse post up than a bully post up like you might see fromsomebody like Artest or Perkins, but again that type of play isn't evenprevalent anymore. Too many guys flopping, too many soft calls fightingfor position, too many double teaming guards looking to rip if you taketoo many backdown dribbles.

If KD were injury prone, or easilybeing pushed out of comfortable scoring position, or couldn't finishafter contact well, or getting bullied in the post or on box outs forrebounds, I'd be concerned about his weight. But since that's not thecase, I don't see it as much of an issue. Etan Thomas is brolic as +#%%and I don't think this dude has played 2 games in a row since theThunder came to OKC.

I mean offensively, and defensively. What im trying to say is, if he could bulk up, he'll be able to move to the PF spot, and use his speed against the bigger guys. If he bulks up, then he'll even be able to guard them as well. it makes even more versatile, which is just amazingly scary just thinkign about that.

All they need is a big, (im thinking memphis' #2 pick) and they'll be a perfect team to dominate the league, for years to come. Durant has already expressed his interested in staying there long term, and we see it from the video's he makes for Green and Harden. Presti better get on that quick.

You acting like the thunder are a number 1 seed in the west. Tmac was winning in the regular season too. Whether durant leads his team past the first round consistently is another story because they havent made it yet. More than likely he will due to his supporting cast being better, but dont expect it to happen this season.

As hard as i was on westbrook earlier in the year, he has taken his game to another level. Just as much people like to say how important billups is to melos success, the same can go for westbrook and durant.

Man I'm mad we didn't get in on Haywood or Camby if they were going so cheap. Of course as I'm sitting here complaining about our bigs, Collison and Ibaka have dominated Sacramento's front line in the first quarter. Ibaka is close to that guy, he just has that same syndrome most athletic bigs have where they try to block everything and can be foul prone at times. And back to the KD isn't big but is strong, he just got leveled by a dirty screen set by Hawes and Nocioni (who has been dirty all game, all career really) and just bounced right back up, made an angry face not saying anything, took the iso with Nocioni on the next possession and scored on him easily and just mugged the crowd.

Umm, I don't mean to beat a dead horse..

..but what makes Durant "once-in-a-generation" if there's a cat in Denver who's just as versatile, and a better scorer?
nerd.gif

Cmon, dont start that here JA.

Ibka is a real good backup center imo. He's a real physical guy, real hard to find. He's a type of guy willingly to do the dirty work.

Collision is just the guy who just draw charges, mostly by flopping.

I still think Hasheem would be the best fit. They have enough offensive power, they need a bit more defensive and they'll be a balanced team overall.

i'm just saying, there are only so many once-in-a-generation type players, KD? He's a great scorer, very versatile, awesome handles for his size, but ONCE IN A GENERATION?

That belongs to Kobe, Bron, Shaq, Timmy and Kidd.

Maybe a few others, but NOT KD.

NT never makes any sense...

People hate Kobe/Lebron with a passion, but wanna declare KD as a God.

No, not a "once-in-a-generation" type player because we already seen/have a better scorer in Kobe.

But id like to see what he does in the playoffs cause thats where you really get your name.

^^How is Jason Kidd a once-in-a-generation player? And to answer the OP's question - No, Durant is not a once in a generation player either.

KD definatly has the ability to be on that level, but he is still young. The scary thing is it seems like he still has alot of room to improve his game. Right now I don't think he is on that level, but a few years from now... he probably will be.

Oh yea, and #@*$ the Blazers for taking Oden.  I knew Durant was going to be the better player, how did they not learn the first time with Jordan and Bowie

Back
Top Bottom