Is Kevin Durant the last NBA Superstar for awhile?

I dont follow college bball or high school.  I beleive only superstars win championships.  As a knick fan i dont think we can win without a superstar.  When i watched Kevin Durant I knew right away this guy was a superstar.  6'10 ppl dont go off for forty with little effort.

You can't answer until you define superstar.

Do you mean the best at his position? A top 5 player? Someone you can win a championship with when he's your #1 option?

I generally believe the superstar to be a very talented player that also has name recognition. That allows for people to use it more liberally (which they do). Some might define it as a player the average person, not just NBA fan, would know. I assume people will list who they think are superstars and there will be debate without first defining the term, which is necessary.

And what's awhile?

One day Russell will start playing out of his mind too. Derrick Rose... Blake if he ever develops a jumper... Kyrie has potential... Anthony Davis...

Originally Posted by Curious24

I dont follow college bball or high school.  I beleive only superstars win championships.  As a knick fan i dont think we can win without a superstar.  When i watched Kevin Durant I knew right away this guy was a superstar.  6'10 ppl dont go off for forty with little effort.

Durant is an offensive threat, but he has a while to be a figure on the "DEFENSIVE" end.  A lot of SUPER STARS do not exhibit both sides of the game.  When Durant can SHUT DOWN another player, and not just be on ESPN for his 'points', that's when he'll become a true super star.  He still is very talented and the new face for the NBA.  I like his image, but he has tattoos and shaved pits, which make him a bit less manly.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

I generally believe the superstar to be a very talented player that also has name recognition. That allows for people to use it more liberally (which they do). Some might define it as a player the average person, not just NBA fan, would know. I assume people will list who they think are superstars and there will be debate without first defining the term, which is necessary.

I agree with this.  And using that definition, Blake Griffin is already approaching superstar status.  Due to his dunks that have gone viral and endorsements, etc., he's well known beyond even the casual NBA fan and is also producing at a pretty high rate on the court. 

And Rose is definitely already a superstar.  Whether any other are in the pipeline, I can't say because I don't follow high school and college ball closely enough. 

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Anthony Davis?
+ your man Wiggins are really the only two I could really feel confident penciling in for 10 ASG's and being franchise players if you're just looking in the college and HS ranks. 
Beyond that it's a roll of the dice, but that's usually the case. 

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Russ, Wall, and Kyrie all are capable off the top of my head.

you really have done a 180 on russy, haven't you?

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Anthony Davis?
+ your man Wiggins are really the only two I could really feel confident penciling in for 10 ASG's and being franchise players if you're just looking in the college and HS ranks. 

I think Bari is capable.

Anthony Davis?

As crazy as it sounds he cant be because his name is too plain jane... think about it what superstar you can think of with a plain jane name like mike james, john smith, kevin price...

Shabazz?

And there will always be superstars in the NBA. That is not gunna change.
The younger generation always steps in.

Originally Posted by LDJ

Anthony Davis?

As crazy as it sounds he cant be because his name is too plain jane... think about it what superstar you can think of with a plain jane name like mike james, john smith, kevin price...
Blake Griffin isn't exactly a rare name. 
Neither is Kevin Durant really. 

EDIT - This is a ridiculous theory btw

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

Originally Posted by LDJ

THIS.

laugh.gif

Michael Jordan

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

Originally Posted by LDJ

durant isnt exactly common and the name blake is common but not as common as joe....  well and if you do have a plain jain name no one calls them that. cause its just not very marketable....

my question is when will there be a superstar thats not black? i know folks will say lin... but i mean like long term.. on a lebron, kobe status.

Originally Posted by LDJ

Anthony Davis?

Nah fam, if anything holds him back it'll be not having two eyebrows...

Austin Rivers has potential imo

Originally Posted by LDJ

Anthony Davis?

roll.gif
 name talent correlation 

Originally Posted by DUB 253

Originally Posted by LDJ

Nah fam, if anything holds him back it'll be not having two eyebrows...
fearthebrow.jpg

It actually might be a potential marketing tool

Back
Top Bottom