Is Kobe Bryant Currently The Third Best Player In League?

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by Do Be Doo

IMO he is number 1 still....
This.

And has been, IMO, for past 3-4 years.
What makes Kobe #1?  Is it because he won a championship last year?  Lebron is the most complete player in the NBA right now...and to me, that makes you the best in the game.  At some point you Kobe fans (not saying you JapanAir) have to realize that the torch is going to be passed whether you like it or not.  There was a period where Kobe was hands down the best in the NBA...however with Lebron's dominance on both ends of the floor, I think Kobe's time at that top spot has passed. 
I'm ALWAYS fine with people saying LeBron is a better player, but if I want someone who can make the plays, I'm taking Kobe 100,000 times out of 100,000.

LeBron is the better all-around player, he's just as fast, he's stronger, he dominates on both ends, but what separates Kobe from LeBron is Kobe's ability to end a game. I whole-heartedly agree that LeBron is more COMPLETE. LeBron has shown flashes, especially in some of those Detroit series, or against the Celtics, and maybe it's because I get nightmares of facing Kobe, but Kobe, as an opposing fan, scares me more.
If you say that Lebron is the better all-around player, why would you want Kobe 100,000 times out of 100,000?  I agree, Kobe closes out games like no-other, but is that the end-all, be-all when coming down to the deciding factor as to who is the better player?  Lebron's opportunities in 2010 have been severely limited due to the domination that the Cavs have shown against the opposition.  It's not me be an apologist for Lebron, but rather the reality of the situation that he's in.  This is the year that Lebron has taken his game to a different level.  Whether he can keep the momentum in the playoffs is a different story.  However, if I was going to start a franchise right now, my pick would be Lebron....100,000 times out of 100,000
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

I hate labels.

Whoever is holding up that Finals MVP trophy, along with the Larry O'Brien at the end of the year, is the best player at that moment.

Yeah, I sure remember you Lakers fans agreeing wholeheartedly with this logic in threads after the 07-08 season finished and Paul Pierce made this statement about himself.
eyes.gif

Yeah, like all Laker fans on NT are all alike
eyes.gif
eyes.gif

So when 1 Laker fans speaks, it's like he's speaking for all of us?  Anything to just lash out your hate.

How does that Haterade taste after so many years of sipping or sucking on it??  

everyone is talking about stats and stuff ... but everyone is forgetting Cleveland is in East Coast ... check the standings and compare the teams from 5-8 .. see how tough is Western Conf? kobe is better hands down i thinks cavs fan will realize this to when june comes

I'll take KD right now over Kobe very simple

KD is as efficient as you can get..not so much on Kobe.

I hate labels.

Whoever is holding up that Finals MVP trophy, along with the Larry O'Brien at the end of the year, is the best player at that moment.

LOL. James Worthy says no. you go ask him

This is just pitiful.
laugh.gif

Imagine if Durant ends up having another season like this one next season, he'll be considered the best player in the league.

As soon as people see someone entering stardom, they want to call him better than a guy that still has his team on top in the West, putting up big numbers while being 30+. Most of it comes from boredom of the media, etc. They need something to talk about, so this will be the argument for the next 2-3 years just like Lebron/Kobe is still an argument right now.

this is nt where the anti laker and anti kobe talk is just absurd at times.

keep glorfiying overrated corporate creation losers like lebron james who will never win nothing because alot of you trolls don't deserve to cheer for a first class franchise like the lakers or deserve to cheer for an all american athlete like kobe.

keep being fans of the pathetic franchises you cheer for though/

I can take Lebron being #1 over Kobe but no way Durant is better then Kobe, Melo, Wade, or Dirk. And I only put Lebron over Kobe due to passing, age, size and athletic ability.
Kobe averages 27, 5 & 5 on a contender...if he played on Thunder with only the Playoffs as their goal I think his averages would be better then the 29, 7 & 3 that Durant does and this wouldnt even be a story...well it really isnt a story anyway just media trying to make something out of nothing

Kobe's lost a step, but he's still the best player in the league. Bron and others are better athletes at this point though. There is a difference

i would want durant over Kobe right now. Kobes all banged up and getting older.
edit- these threads never end well

This.

What makes Kobe #1?  Is it because he won a championship last year?  Lebron is the most complete player in the NBA right now...and to me, that makes you the best in the game.  At some point you Kobe fans (not saying you JapanAir) have to realize that the torch is going to be passed whether you like it or not.  There was a period where Kobe was hands down the best in the NBA...however with Lebron's dominance on both ends of the floor, I think Kobe's time at that top spot has passed. 
I'm ALWAYS fine with people saying LeBron is a better player, but if I want someone who can make the plays, I'm taking Kobe 100,000 times out of 100,000.

LeBron is the better all-around player, he's just as fast, he's stronger, he dominates on both ends, but what separates Kobe from LeBron is Kobe's ability to end a game. I whole-heartedly agree that LeBron is more COMPLETE. LeBron has shown flashes, especially in some of those Detroit series, or against the Celtics, and maybe it's because I get nightmares of facing Kobe, but Kobe, as an opposing fan, scares me more.
If you say that Lebron is the better all-around player, why would you want Kobe 100,000 times out of 100,000?  I agree, Kobe closes out games like no-other, but is that the end-all, be-all when coming down to the deciding factor as to who is the better player?  Lebron's opportunities in 2010 have been severely limited due to the domination that the Cavs have shown against the opposition.  It's not me be an apologist for Lebron, but rather the reality of the situation that he's in.  This is the year that Lebron has taken his game to a different level.  Whether he can keep the momentum in the playoffs is a different story.  However, if I was going to start a franchise right now, my pick would be Lebron....100,000 times out of 100,000
wink.gif
Well it's what kind of context you want to put on this.

Starting a franchise, who would you pick? The choice is obvious.
In a playoff series right now, which player do you have more confidence in getting you the end result? I pick Kobe, 100,000 times out of 100,000.
laugh.gif

I see your point with the huge point differential in the Cavs, and that's fine, no bone to pick with you there. We've seen LeBron put a team on his back before. We've seen him make it to the Finals, but when he got there, his team failed. Now, his team is not an excuse. If he wins a championship soon, then I'll have no problem crowning him the best.

It's the same kind of reasoning where I value a PG like Chauncey Billups over ones like Deron Williams. Is Deron Williams a better PG? Sure. But if I want a guy to lead my team, bring all the intangibles, I want Chauncey. I've brought it up a lot this year, but last years playoffs, NOH VS DET is the prime example. Chauncey shows up to the big stage and bright lights, and he shines.

Originally Posted by HANNSUM

I hate labels.

LOL. James Worthy says no. you go ask him

Well it goes with ever argument you want to use it for. If you want to overvalue the Finals MVP then you use it to say Shaq won his 3peat with the Lakers by himself or that Jordan won his 6 titles without Pippen and Co.
If you want to devalue the Finals MVP then you point out how Worthy won it when really Magic led that team. Or that Billups won it when Ben Wallace really should of. 

Should make tomorrow night's game more interesting. 
laugh.gif

I hope someone writes an article that says Bron, Durant, Melo, Wade, Bosh, D12, CP3, Smush Parker, Tyreke Evans, John Wall, and Deron Williams are all better then Kobe. 
Then I hope someone tapes that article in Kobe's locker. 

Then I feel bad for everybody else. 
pimp.gif

Kobe still need motivation? Dang, biting Money like that, always seeking motivation... Did Phil pay Rolling Stone to write that?
tongue.gif

I don't think Durant is better than Kobe overall. But some of the reasons SOME Lakers fans are using for Kobe is laughable. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JD617

Who said anything at all about Paul Pierce? You tried reaching for a few lulz with that one and came up short.

Back to the topic, if people can't see that Lebron is the clear-cut best player in the league at this point, I don't know what to say.

You guys can make arguments for Kobe, Wade, Durant, etc. for 2nd, but the 1 spot is not really debatable anymore.

Who said this topic is NOT debatable?...You try to make it a FACT that Bron is the best player witout giving reasons...

Back to the topic
JA said it best...

JapanAir21 wrote:

Kobe is a much better player than Durant. The game is all about winning and Kobe is a gamer. So what if Kobe doesn't get 8 rebounds a game, would that really help the Lakers? He's a 2 guard and his function is to score, while facilitating the offense when necessary. More importantly, he takes over in crunch time and make sure his team wins, better than anybody else in the league.

I came in here expecting to see someone listing Wade as the second bes player in the league, actually kinda caught me off guard seeing Durant. Durants time as 2nd or3rd best in the league will come, and it will come in the near future. But not yet

This.

wink.gif
Well it's what kind of context you want to put on this.

Starting a franchise, who would you pick? The choice is obvious.
In a playoff series right now, which player do you have more confidence in getting you the end result? I pick Kobe, 100,000 times out of 100,000.
laugh.gif

I see your point with the huge point differential in the Cavs, and that's fine, no bone to pick with you there. We've seen LeBron put a team on his back before. We've seen him make it to the Finals, but when he got there, his team failed. Now, his team is not an excuse. If he wins a championship soon, then I'll have no problem crowning him the best.

It's the same kind of reasoning where I value a PG like Chauncey Billups over ones like Deron Williams. Is Deron Williams a better PG? Sure. But if I want a guy to lead my team, bring all the intangibles, I want Chauncey. I've brought it up a lot this year, but last years playoffs, NOH VS DET is the prime example. Chauncey shows up to the big stage and bright lights, and he shines.
Then disappears in the later rounds.

Back
Top Bottom