Is NASCAR a sport? Why/Why not?

It's a question that I and I'm sure a lot of you have addressed once in your lifetime, whether it be in your head or in discussion. But I wanna know what you guys think.

To me, it's not. Although it's called a "motorsport" it shouldn't be on ESPN... it should be kept on like the Speed channel or something. A sport to me is something that requires physical skill whether it be athleticism (basketball, football) or dexterity (golf, sort of baseball, in terms of hitting and pinpoint throwing). So NASCAR doesn't fly with me.

I don't care and this debate is silly.

But I'll tell you something. Race car drivers are the best when it comes to talking $%#!.

What is expected to be the final career race for Canada's Patrick Carpentier ended when he was bumped off the track and out of the race by Wallace while challenging near the front with nine laps to go. He climbed onto some scaffolding at trackside and watched the race play out.

"I'm amazed a guy like Wallace has a full-time ride," Carpentier said. "It's like sometimes he spaces out. I've never said this before, but I think the guy is an idiot. But what can you do?"

Wallace apologized for the incident in a postrace TV interview, but Carpentier said: "He needs to apologize every race. His sponsor should be called My Apology."

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by So Slickening

A sport to me is something that requires physical skill whether it be athleticism (basketball, football) or dexterity (golf, sort of baseball, in terms of hitting and pinpoint throwing). So NASCAR doesn't fly with me.
You said it yourself - these guys have a physical skill - as much as golf or any other skill event.

Activity doesn't come into it - although the drivers will be in great shape to take the abuse they do during a race.

If the majority of your sweat comes from the heat and not from physical activity, then it's not a real sport.

Yes, motor racing is a sport.

This question is so tired. Who cares if it's a sport or not? What does that label prove? Make this thread after watching bass master fishing, or after watching bowling on Espn. Drop the bs, say you think Nascar is wack, and move it along.

If Nascar is a sport, so is playing Madden or Call of Duty. To be successful, you must have a knowledge of your machine, fast, reflexes, and the ability to make quick decisions.

tremendous skill..

also do not think any 'sport' that is judged is not a sport.. i believe firmly that you should be able to win ugly.. anything left to a judges interpretation is more of an art

for example, gymnast are probably in better physical shape than most athletes.. but so too are ballet dancers (this isn't meant as a dis.. ballet calls for you to be in incredible physical shape.. but i don't think it's a sport either)

This isn't something you can simply say yes or no to. Not many of us are ever going to drive at speeds around 190+ MPH.

This is just my opinion but, NASCAR might be a sport but the drivers arent athletes. The car is doing the majority of the work. Same with horse racing. The horses are the athletes, not the jockeys.

Yes, it takes skill to be a driver, but its not an athletic skill. Sitting and driving isnt that hard. I know it gets incredibly hot in the cars also, but that doesnt make it a sport. I have respect for the drivers, and not trying to put them down, but I just dont think its a sport.

It's undeniably a competition, so yes its a sport... I think the debate is more about whether or not they're athletes.

Back
Top Bottom