Is NOT Having Children Considered a Selfish Act?

Discussion in 'General' started by dcallamerican, Oct 24, 2015.

1. dcallamerican

dcallamerican

I saw this in another thread.

2. nazdrowie

nazdrowie

[​IMG]

3. Sir San Diego

Sir San Diego formerly brolic scholar

If your progenitors struggled for hundreds of years to allow your life to be possible and you decide the line stops with you, I think that is a bit selfish. Especially if your family hasn't accomplished or contributed to society.

But then again, if your family has always struggled and never contributed to society and only taken, why continue that line of failure? Kidding obviously.

It's a personal choice. Most of the time pregnancies are unplanned any way. We like sex and kids come from that. There's a reason sex feels good. It's because if the act of creating a life was anywhere close to the difficulty of protecting, guiding, providing for and nurturing that life, mankind would cease to exist. There are a lot of ****** parents out there.

4. ksteezy

ksteezy

Is it weird I knew the author of this thread the second I read the title?...lol

And NO I don't think is selfish, if you see yourself unfit to have children and care for them, you are doing society a service by not procreating....most important you not bringing a child into this world to lead a **** life.

that dude173 likes this.
  5. andretti

andretti

Don't want children

I grew up in a single parent household

I do t even want to risk putting a child of mine through what I went through

It's not for everyone I just know it's not for me and the lifestyle I want to live

If they call me selfish then so be it.

imrobindahood likes this.
  6. Belgium

Belgium formerly colombia

What [​IMG]

So dude would rather have unfit parents getting kids and giving them a bad childhood than having no kids?

Savage.

I have little to no empathy, I don't think I'd be a good father. I'd rather not have kids than be a bad father.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  7. flacobey

flacobey

Agreed.

I grew up in a single parent household as well, so from seeing the financial struggles my mom went through trying to raise me, and on the other side of the coin, seeing the issues my dad had with trying to pay child support...I really don't see myself having a kid.

I'm only 23 now so my opinion may change in a few years, but right now having a kid is my worse nightmare lol

8. SC kid

SC kid

You cant perceive the depth of a humans feelings famb?

RustyShackleford likes this.
  9. shogun

shogun

No.

10. Belgium

Belgium formerly colombia

I had a terrible father which resulted in my lack of empathy being a sort of psychological self-defense mechanism.

I can perceive feelings well and can manipulate extremely well but I just have a hard time truly caring about something or being emotionally affected.

Generally people describe me as charismatic, friendly and helpful but others such as my psychologist and my mom label me as being constantly extremely manipulative and having a severe lack of empathy. You'd only really notice in situations like the death of a family member, accidents, ... That stuff doesn't affect me much emotionally. 

The reason I'm scared of having a kid is that I'm not sure if I could show the proper affection to raise a child with the love and care it deserves.

Chiron likes this.
  11. SC kid

SC kid

If he thought like that you wouldn't be here

You can be better than your father famb.

12. Sir San Diego

Sir San Diego formerly brolic scholar

If you didn't notice I took both sides of the argument and then said what I really felt. If people do or don't want kids, more power to them.

Raising kids is hard work. I never wanted kids either, but I wouldn't change things now that I have them. That said, two is all I think I'll have.

13. aepps20

aepps20

Not selfish at all.

14. twoonesicks

twoonesicks

yes

i feel people who dont want to have kids are selfish, and knowing people who dont want to have kids they tend to be very selfish individuals.

therealrell and htg designs like this.
  15. yeah

yeah

I'd argue it's more selfish to have kids than to not. We live in a world with finite resources. In my opinion, it's very selfish to bring another life into the world, especially when there are hundreds of thousands of kids who need a home having been given up by or taken from their biological families.

To those who think not having kids is selfish, how do you justify bringing another life into a world where there is already a large amount of children who may spend their entire adolesence in foster care?

joe cool and ohokalright like this.
  16. jpeg

jpeg

If biblical morality and ethics was practiced today people would be murdered for mowing their lawn on Sundays.

don adidada likes this.
  17. truballa101

truballa101

Not at all.

Let's not act like every adult in this world is capable of raising a child

joe cool likes this.
  18. andretti

andretti

Should those said selfish people have kids if they are in fact selfish?

I don't think that would be a good idea

joe cool likes this.
  19. heliumclinton

heliumclinton

Bringing a kid into this world that you don't want because the world says you should is selfish

.. and dumb as hell

20. dcallamerican

dcallamerican

No, we aren't talking about the individuals, we are talking about the "act" of not having kids.

How is the "act" of not having kids, selfish?