Is "Religulous" the best documentary on religion EVER?

Originally Posted by livewyre

Jesus camp is pretty good. religulous was ok, but if you like bill mahr you would've heard all the jokes and his stance before.
[h3]
[/h3]

lol this hyped over that "documentary"?
ohwell.gif

I wouldnt say it was the "best"....but it sure as hell is the funniest, if you ask me.

I wish he wouldve done a longer segment with that one older, real laid back dude that was some sort of Catholic official (i cant recall really, i saw it awhile ago). THAT dude seemed to have a handle on things, seeing as how he was laughing at some of the absurdities of the religion, calling it poppycock andsaying "we dont do that anymore", while at the same time still being heavily involved in the church. THAT dude interested me.

I watch Maher's show and he is spot on with many things , but since he is on HBO he goes the extra mile because he is allowed to. But whenever religionturns up I turn off my attention to him because he is offensive on this subject, even if I agree with the underlying points of it.

I wish I could post what he said about American Greed in his New Rules from last week, he was spot on.

I agree with him on some of his points, but I felt he was a little extreme with his movie. It was almost him forcing his anti-religious beliefs on us.

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

Originally Posted by michael g

Bill Maher is an extremely ignorant dude
Yup. I dont know how anyone takes this dude seriously.

smh.gif
Do you even know what ignorance means? If anything Bill Maher isthe opposite of ignorant. He openly admits that there are some things he doesn't know about and he makes it an effort to educate and inform himself ontopics and areas of interest. When it comes to religion all he does is ask questions, if anything he's one of the most logical dudes on television.

Just because he's openly against religion even if it's not to your liking you really see it fit to call him ignorant?

laugh.gif
@ [Bill Maher]You're religious?!But you're so bright....[/Bill Maher]

Originally Posted by Master Zik

Just because he's openly against religion even it's not to your liking you really see it fit to call him ignorant?

laugh.gif
@ [Bill Maher]You're religious?! But you're so bright....[/Bill Maher]

No it's not just because he is against religion. He is liberal too.

But that quote was hilarious.

smh.gif
Do you even know what ignorance even means? If anything Bill Maher is the opposite of ignorant. He openly admits that there are some things he doesn't know about and he makes it an effort to educate and inform himself on topics and areas of interest. When it comes to religion all he does is ask questions, if anything he's one of the most logical dudes on television.

Just because he's openly against religion even it's not to your liking you really see it fit to call him ignorant?

laugh.gif

Very well put.

Agree or disagree with his opinions, calling him ignorant is, in itself...ignorant.

Bill Maher making a film against religion after describing the WTC hijackers as brave? That's a FASCINATING contradiction.

Originally Posted by Friendliest Ghost

Bill Maher making a film against religion after describing the WTC hijackers as brave? That's a FASCINATING contradiction.

where did he say that about WTC hijackers... So far I am calling that a bald faced lie. If you prove me wrong by reliable standards, I will edit and put youwere right.

Edit as a man of my word; Friendliest Ghost was partially right.

If Bill Maher didn't act so Bill O reilly esque during his movie, and give his interviewees no chance to give a rebuttal I would have actually given thismovie a thumbs up, however the movie was not objective at all and that is why I hated it.

Originally Posted by 80JerryRice80

If Bill Maher didn't act so Bill O reilly esque during his movie, and give his interviewees no chance to give a rebuttal I would have actually given this movie a thumbs up, however the movie was not objective at all and that is why I hated it.
Exactly how I felt.

I dont think that this movie was very balanced at all...it was basically Maher interviewing religious figures and making a mockery of them without allowingthem to complete their thoughts. However I do realize that he had to do this to make the movie more interesting and appealing to his target audience.

BTW, this movie is not a documentary by any stretch of the imagination.

smh.gif
Do you even know what ignorance means? If anything Bill Maher is the opposite of ignorant. He openly admits that there are some things he doesn't know about and he makes it an effort to educate and inform himself on topics and areas of interest. When it comes to religion all he does is ask questions, if anything he's one of the most logical dudes on television.

Just because he's openly against religion even if it's not to your liking you really see it fit to call him ignorant?

laugh.gif

perhaps "ignorant" isn't or is a proper designation there. (I suppose it depends.)
but
laugh.gif
@ everything else you just said.

"when it comes to religion all he does is ask questions" yet you conclude your post by giving a quote that makes an insutling insinuation...
nerd.gif
?
laugh.gif

I think it's fair to say he does more than "make an effort to educate and inform himself" or "ask questions". lol cmon now.

I thought it was hilarious and dead on! I was laughing hardcore when he was doing the interviews. If your religious then this movie isn't for you, if youron the fence or a non-religion believer like me u'll get a kick out of this movie.

I believe in GOD, I just REFUSE to believe the bible or religion because it's man made. IMO religion to me is an old school form of govt. control,instilling fear in people in order to keep kingdoms in check.

Plus if Moses was alive today he would be thrown away locked up in some insane asylum and heavily dosed with anti-pyscotic medication.

There are some people in the world that take the bible too damn serious, yet the bible CONTRADICTS itsself hardcore! Most of the stories in the Bible arenonsense. Reality check people, science prevails religion any day!

If Bill Maher didn't act so Bill O reilly esque during his movie, and give his interviewees no chance to give a rebuttal I would have actually given this movie a thumbs up, however the movie was not objective at all and that is why I hated it.

yeah thats how it came off to me. he was trying too hard to be funny.

I am usually very incredulous about the intellectual heft of anyone, nowadays who says that religion has "only divided people" or that "allwars are started because of religion" or some other pale, third hand imitation of something profound and insightful that a true thinker might have saidyears ago when it was socially unpopular to criticize the concept of religion itself. Religion has caused many problems although it is hard to separateproblems that were truly caused by religion from the problems that are ingrained in human societies that were gilded under or justified by religion but wouldhave or have existed in secular societies. I suspect that the latter is the most often the case.

People are prone to violence, wars, enslaving others, over throw opposing political factions, wanting to exploit or extort wealth from others and many otheracts that have, at various times in history, been given a fig leaf of religion and now clever people today blame all or most of those misdeeds on religion.Even when the person doing the terrible act insists that religion why he traffics in violence and pain, it may not be the case that faith is what is causinghim to be commit deplorable acts.

A contemporary example is Islamic terrorism, the fundamental reason why so many terrorist are associated Islam is because Islam happens to be the main religionin parts of the world that are less politically and economically developed and when people come from places like that, they tend to place lower value on theirown life and the lives of others, they are prone to systemic violence, they see intimidation as the first and last and only means of achieving a goal. Islamdoes not make these men fly planes into buildings and target civilians for bombings, the material and political poverty of the region is what causes mostIslamic terrorist to terrorize, not any doctrinal aspects of Islam. The same is true for other religions.

Religion is not without its faults, it can implore people to make needless material sacrifices, to be bound by customs that can cause poverty or themarginalizing of people within a society and it can sometimes be the reason for strife or divisions amongst communities. At the same time, religion can beextremely comforting to those who are faithful, it can sometimes be the only way to bring self discipline into someone's life and to be able to improvehimself as a result and in various times in history religions and religious institutions have advanced culture, science, scholarship and have provided a commonset of value over which otherwise very different people can find common ground and work for peace or at least some mercy and clemency.

I personally am an agnostic, I know that somethings are beyond scientific explanation and could very well stay that way no matter how refined and perceptivescience becomes. There are certain unanswerable questions able life's purpose and the edge and limits of space and time which cause me to believe insomething beyond what can be explained by science. At the same time, it is very unlikely that this creator, divine, beyond what we can understand entity is notwhat any religion that has existed or does exist can understand, let alone describe. That is where I do see organized religion as almost impossible to takeseriously, the idea that some awesome and transcendental being is the creator and overseer of the universe and people in special robes know what is on thedivides mind and the divide obviously wants to make sure that we do not eat meat at certain times of the years, he believes that spastic contractions ofmuscles in the groin are evil, he is offended by certain words ect.

Like Bill Maher, I was raised Roman Catholic but unlike Maher and millions of other lapsed Catholics, I respectfully disagree with the church of my forefathersand move on from that. That is clearly not the case with Maher and others, not only are they done with organized religion they feel like every has to knowabout it and they must set out to "expose" religion for the pure evil that it is. It is very annoying how so many atheists and agnostics, especiallyCatholics, will spend so much time talking about religion and how much they hate it yet they will never forget about it and rarely will shut up about it. It islike talking to the girl who is clearly emotionally scarred from a bad break up and while she says she is over it, she will mention that guy every othersentence.

Religulous was somewhat funy because Bil Maher is a good comedia but Maher talking about religion is my least favorite type of Bill Maher. The movie wasbasically an infomercial for atheism, it was barely a documentary, let alone a great documentary let alone the best documentary on religion or any othersubject.

smh.gif
Do you even know what ignorance means? If anything Bill Maher is the opposite of ignorant. He openly admits that there are some things he doesn't know about and he makes it an effort to educate and inform himself on topics and areas of interest. When it comes to religion all he does is ask questions, if anything he's one of the most logical dudes on television.

laugh.gif

Yeah he's ignorant because he's he made this thing to make religious people look ignorant. I'm not religious, I believe in Intelligent Design, Idont worship, but I do believe in a creator.

I call him ignorant because just because people believe in a God their "irrational". Who he hell is he to say that? Bill Maher is so bright becausehe chooses not to believe in religion? He criticizes people who believe in religion, who cares? He asked them a bunch of "gotcha questions", whocares, bro? They want to believe in God, get over it.

Believing in Darwinism makes Maher so smart? He has an opinion, nobody is tearing him a new one.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

If Bill Maher didn't act so Bill O reilly esque during his movie, and give his interviewees no chance to give a rebuttal I would have actually given this
movie a thumbs up, however the movie was not objective at all and that is why I hated it.
Exactly how I felt.

I dont think that this movie was very balanced at all...it was basically Maher interviewing religious figures and making a mockery of them without allowing them to complete their thoughts. However I do realize that he had to do this to make the movie more interesting and appealing to his target audience.

BTW, this movie is not a documentary by any stretch of the imagination.

sounds like he's A LOT worse than Michael Moore too.

Back
Top Bottom