Is Social Media Destroying Society? Former Facebook Exec Says 'Yes'

Didn't scrim through the rest of the thread but quick answers:

Is social media destroying society? Of course it is

Do I consider NT to be "social media" f*ck no

And here we go.

I go to fb to skim through and see what's going on in the world. If I run across something interesting, I come here to discuss it further.

Social media creates an unrealistic set of expectations that heightens anxiety and depression.

Does NT do this? Sure, people front on here all the time and we write in a certain way to make sure our opinion is presented in the best possible light so that people respect what we say.

Social media literally is a huge backwards step for development of conversation. It’s passive aggressively fixing the world though. Always amazes me how much people debate and conversate on here and how unlikely it is they ever share a contrarian opinion in others in the real world. Makes sense though - there is nothing to risk here and everything to risk in the real world (job, reputation, safety, etc). Creates a lot of scared people in society that are afraid to let each other know when there is an issue.

Why’d I just type all the lol. Done with social media for the day.

Teenagers Are Getting Plastic Surgery To Look Like Their Snapchat Selfies
Patients want to look the way photo-editing apps make them look
14723471-1247633178627245-1403496815847800832-n.jpg

Millennials are getting plastic surgery to look like their selfies (Kylie Jenner Instagram)

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...gers-millennials-dysmorphia-bdd-a8474881.html

Teenagers are undergoing plastic surgery to look like they do in their filtered selfies - and it may be a sign they are suffering from an underlying mental health condition.

In addition to unicorn horns and dog ears, Snapchat and Instagram also offer perfecting filters that smooth skin, thin your face, and change your eye colour - photo-editing technology that has resulted in a new mental illness scientists are calling “Snapchat dysmorphia.”

“A new phenomenon called ‘Snapchat dysmorphia’ has popped up, where patients are seeking out surgery to help them appear like the filtered versions of themselves,” said Dr Neelam Vashi, director of the Boston University Cosmetic and Laser Centre.

The study, published in JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery Viewpoint, found apps like Snapchat and photo-editing Facetune are to blame - as they allow selfies to achieve a level of physical “perfection” previously seen only in celebrity or beauty magazines.

According to plastic surgeons and researchers, patients are no longer bringing in photos of celebrities, they are bringing in pictures of their selfies - edited to look like perfect versions of themselves.

Dr Vashi said: "A little adjusting on Facetune can smoothen out skin, and make teeth look whiter and eyes and lips bigger. A quick share on Instagram and the likes and comments start rolling in."

Now millennials are trying to replicate the perfection in real life by seeking out treatments that contour cheekbones, straighten or reduce nose size, or make a person look slimmer.

media

Snapchat is reportedly to blame for the rise (Stock)

As these images become the norm on social media, and in real life, the idea of what is attractive worldwide also changes - which can affect self-esteem and trigger body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) or Snapchat dysmorphia, a term coined by Dr Tijion Esho, a cosmetic doctor.

BDD is an excessive preoccupation with a perceived flaw in appearance often characterised by people going to great - and at times unhealthy - lengths to hide their imperfections.

The mental illness, classified on the obsessive-compulsive spectrum, is surprisingly common, affecting one in every 50 people - and growing, as millennials are influenced by what they see online.

media

Filters are convincing teenagers to get plastic surgery (Stock)

Dr Esho, who will turn away patients who seem overly-obsessed with resembling filters, previously said: "We now see photos of ourselves daily via the social platforms we use, which arguably makes us more critical of ourselves. Patients using pictures of celebrities or Snapchat-filtered versions of themselves as reference points is okay.

"The danger is when this is not just a reference point, but it becomes how the patient sees themselves, or the patient wants to look exactly like that image."

And these filtered selfies can be even more dangerous for people with BDD.

Dr Vashi said: "Filtered selfies especially can have harmful effects on adolescents or those with BDD because these groups may more severely internalise this beauty."

One survey of plastic surgeons found 55 per cent last year reported seeing patients who wanted to improve their appearance in selfies - in comparison to the 13 per cent the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons reported seeing in 2013.

This is coupled with the reported increase in plastic surgery patients younger than 30.

Rather than going under the knife, Dr Vashi recommends that people suffering from BDD seek psychological interventions such as cognitive behavioural therapy - as surgery can worsen underlying BDD.

"Filtered selfies can make people lose touch with reality, creating the expectation we are supposed to look perfectly primped all the time,” said Dr Vashi. "This can be especially harmful for teens and those with BDD, and it is important for providers to understand the implications of social media on body image to better treat and counsel our patients."

The emergence of Snapchat dysmorphia comes after previous studies found social media negatively impacts self-esteem and increases the risk of mental health issues.

In a 2015 report from the Office for National Statistics, more than a quarter of teenagers who use social media for more than three hours a day were found to have problems related to mental health.

For patients who do display symptoms of BDD, the researchers and doctors recommend additional screening to check for underlying problems.

"Further questions should be asked to screen for any element of body dysmorphia,” Dr Esho said. "Treating patients that do show those red flags is not only unethical, but also detrimental to the patient, as they need something that no needle or scalpel can ever provide."

Last edited:

The thing about social media is that it weaponizes blandness. It gives people a platform for the most uninteresting and mundane aspects of their lives because they have to constantly be producing some sort of output of communication.

Deleted snap, IG, and Facebook apps off my phone. This **** ain't healthy or realistic for you. I'll get Twitter off my phone eventually. It's just scroll scroll scroll. Watch a story here, watch a snap there. Crazy how much time we spend just doing that.

I just no longer found value in it as a user.

I really feel like Social Media is Westworld and everyone on it are hosts :lol:

To sit back and watch how robotic and scripted people behave on these platforms is fascinating. The super users that AREN'T monetizing it....are just plain strange. Like fam...what are you getting out of this?

Not having any of it as apps anymore...the only real use I have for interacting with it is using Twitter/Instagram as search engines. Particularly during sporting or pop culture events. I like the short form content that platforms like Bleacher Report, Ballislife, etc. offer.

Last edited:
Everything goes back to self control. Each individual has to determine where the line is for them. Some recovered alcoholics can chill with drinkers and be fine, other cut off friends still in the habit. Gotta figure what's best your own health and wellbeing and stick to it.

It's only been 4 days, but I definitely feel like I have more time on my hands in my free time. Days feel more productive.

It's only been 4 days, but I definitely feel like I have more time on my hands in my free time. Days feel more productive.

But you online doggggg

I dont have a problem with the major social media. But I can't get offline and twitter I love. I always search for random **** and always on news sites or youtube.

Deactivated my fb today so now it's only nt for me. I just see fb and the likes as junk food. Just kills time but nothing substantial.

Just crazy how it's someone's job to make a product more and more addictive. I think the next wave will be providing several pictures of a person and an app will make a virtual pr0n with that persons likeness.

Instagram Launches New Feature Enabling College Students to Connect in a Virtual Community
  • Instagram's new tool will group users by their college and is intended only for current university students
  • Aim is to help current students find classmates through class-based lists
  • Users who are part of the community will be able to direct message others
  • Students have to opt in to be part of the test and can ignore or block messages
akrales_180424_2503_0061_2.0.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eature-enabling-college-students-connect.html

Instagram has launched a new feature that enables college students to connect in a virtual community with their classmates.

The new tool that the social media company is testing will group users by their college and is intended only for current university students.

The aim of the community feature is to help current students find classmates through class-based lists.

The new tool that Instagram is testing will group users by their college and is intended only for current university students

Users who are part of the community will be able to direct message others on the list, CNBC reports.

Students have to opt in to be part of the test and can ignore or block messages from people who contact them.

After students opt in to use the feature they add in their university and graduating year, which will then grant them access to the lists of other students who have also chosen to be part of the community.

Facebook, who owns Instagram, was initially designed for college students.

The launch of the new tool comes just days after Tinder revealed a students-only version of its popular dating app.

Called 'Tinder U', the app will only be available to college students at four-year, accredited, not-for-profit universities in the US.

The launch of the new Instagram tool comes just days after Tinder revealed a students-only version of its popular dating app called Tinder U (above)

Students can use the app for more than just dating, with the ability to find new friends, study buddies and more.

The app looks almost exactly the same as the regular version of Tinder, but it now shows a badge associated with your university at the top of your profile image.

Additionally, in order to log in, users must have a .edu email address and be located on campus when they sign up.

Instagram users who opt in for the college community lists do not have to have an .edu email address to use the feature.

Funny, JJ Redick got annoyed with Social Media and how "Look at me" everything is.

He was talking about how pissed he was during Manu's retirement and how other players made it about themon Twitter.

Example he gave, "I saw people Tweet at Manu saying stuff like, "When I was 12, you inspired me. Thanks to you I am a 12 time allstar with 3 rings"

He was exaggerating but I did see a few less extreme versions of that

What’s the extent of how personal you get on social media?

I understand getting married, having kids, but where do you guys draw the line?

When I have kids I will not post them on social media until they are old enough to make that decision for themselves...

Or some less extreme version of this

Next to nothing.

If I had kids, I wouldn't post a single picture of them.

I don't use my real name on FB. Folks that I know, know who I am on there

I am there just to view things, qhen I am even there.

Dozens, if not hundreds of pics per day everyday lol i remember one time i was at a red light trying to get over in traffic and the lady in the car next to me was fully turned around in her seat taking picture after picture of her baby sleeping. I was able to get over because she wasn't paying attention.

Dozens, if not hundreds of pics per day everyday lol i remember one time i was at a red light trying to get over in traffic and the lady in the car next to me was fully turned around in her seat taking picture after picture of her baby sleeping. I was able to get over because she wasn't paying attention.

We are creating a generation of narcissists man. Cameras always in kids faces forcing them to pose and take all these got damn pictures.

It is low-ki abuse man

Back
Top Bottom