Is Social Media Destroying Society? Former Facebook Exec Says 'Yes'

To be fair, in her mind, this might be her “Emmett Till” moment. I am in no way comparing the severity of the situations, even though death was involved in both.

Maybe this is her way of showing “Not everything in Social Media is real life and real life isn’t pretty.” It was Till’s mother who had the strength for them to have an open casket memorial and have it photographed. I don’t think she’s that hungry for likes/clicks to think about capture this moment for self gratification.

I know I could be wrong, but I want to have some semblance of hope in the world and pray that I’m not in this situation. Just my 2 cents.
Two different animals.
Not referring to severity, but more the purpose.
Smasmortions and miscarriages Knowingly happens everyday.
Emmett Till's mother's message was a wake up call and awareness due to a specific group of peoples actions.

Miscarriages arent deliberate.

John legend's wife.......

“I cannot express how little I care that you hate the photos. How little I care that it’s something you wouldn’t have done,” she wrote. “I lived it, I chose to do it, and more than anything, these photos aren’t for anyone but the people who have lived this or are curious enough to wonder what something like this is like. These photos are only for the people who need them. The thoughts of others do not matter to me.”

How does someone NEED these photos?
If someone is wondering what this is like. I highly doubt they're going to search/lookup/browse for her photos..

Teach each her own..
No matter how famous or rich, moments after a miscarriage is not for the limelight. IMO.

To me, this very close to implying that a camera should be at funerals so people can know what it's like. B**** what?

No..

I'm getting tired of mainstream social media...that's why no matter what, I don't think I'll ever outgrow NT even though the critics say it hasn't been the same. A lot of us have been on NT for years before IG/Twitter/FB blew up. I learned about gifs and memes here way before that ish became popular on those platforms. NT is where I go to get away from those places. I haven't posted anything on FB/IG in years and just use it for messaging at this point.

Twitter is alright but even I'm getting tired of it...I use it for the occasional retweet but I'm not out there interacting with strangers/followers I don't know personally. Like I'll see these Twitter power users try to start a discussion thread with their followers about food or movies and I'm like...why >D If I wanted that type of interaction then I'd come here or Reddit.

Too many trolls on social media now clout-chasing...you don't know who is for real, seeking attention, or just gullible.

A Timeless Classic post!

Twitter's version of stories is laggy as hell and I follow too many people to deal with it.
I still say Facebook is my favorite platform mainly for the group section. Twitter is right behind them because that's my platform for news. Tik Tok is in third place because of the creativity I see from certain pages. Instagram & Snapchat aren't worth mentioning.

This is nothing new, and I think humans are narcissistic by nature and social media obviously leverages this weakness and exploits it....This of course should bother people, but in the end actions matter more than words, and people are still on FB despite knowing that fb doesn't care about data protection, or you connecting with others

I personally think the much larger issue is news, and how alternate digital realities have informed how we think and process information at a highly individualized level. I am not immune to this, two recent examples of how my reality was turned upside down...

• The NY Times doesn't have a single pro-Trump columnist, not one
  • I just read my first pro Clearance Thomas article (written by a black man no less) I have ever read
Now, does this make the NY times any less of a quality paper? Not necessarily, I also still believe Thomas to be myopic on his views of race in America and the laws role in it, but I have a new and deeper understanding of both now.

Don’t think this speaks to SM destroying society so much as the absurdity of the SM celebrity/fandom phenomenon.

this is a reflection on idiot people and celebrity/idol worship. But hey, America did vote trump president so, the country isn’t really smart

But if people want to take time out of their day and live vicariously through these people, to each their own. People need to get used to this type of stuff by now.

Schools have courses about being youtubers and even e-gamers and streamers, this is the new frontier

I wonder if this would have been done had there been NO way it could have been recorded.

Stress somebody out to give them good news.

Makes sense.

Last edited:
I couldnt find it on YouTube.
Just found it.
Looks like I'm the 1st viewer

Def getting skit vibes from it, if in fact it is a skit.
tenor (7).gif

STOP DOING STUPID **** for views in this climate.

DAMN ain't never even heard of this thread. Thanks for quoting me in here, certainly should be some LOL's in here.

America needs to implement a daily ordinance in which all technology is cut off for certain amount of hours or days. Like literally cut the chord on everything tech.... but, it’ll never happen

ANother thing.

People always gotta make it about them.

JUst post the damn clip, the story tells itself. No need for 3 mins worth of narrations.

Example

People are gonna narrate videos. It's just gonna happen, especially if it's funny. Not that big of an issue to me as long as they don't stop it too much. I saw no problem with that one.

ANother thing.

People always gotta make it about them.

JUst post the damn clip, the story tells itself. No need for 3 mins worth of narrations.

Example

You don't follow MLB? Jomboy is huge. Blew up major from doing those type of videos for baseball. The league has even brought him into events. With no baseball going on he'll venture into other sports.

Back
Top Bottom