Is The Foreign Exchange's "Connected" The Best Hip Hop Album This Decade?

Originally Posted by PurplexGrapes

Originally Posted by mace40

Originally Posted by PurpHeartGrapes

-Blueprint is one of the most overrated albums this decade, not one of the best and shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as anything else in this thread.

-Be is one of my favorite albums ever, the only reason why I left it off my original list is because I was kind of trying to limit it to one release per artist. As for FF,
indifferent.gif
I'm actually a fan of it and think it receives way more hate than it deserves but I just can't agree with that.
The juxtaposition of those two statements has me worried for your sanity. Here's how it should have read.

-Be is one of the most overrated albums this decade, not one of the best and shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as anything else in this thread.

-Blueprint is one of my favorite albums ever, the only reason why I left it off my original list is because I was kind of trying to limit it to one release per artist. As for [AG/TBA],
indifferent.gif
I'm actually a fan of it and think it receives way more hate than it deserves but I just can't agree with that.
laugh.gif
Jay stans
Jay stans nothing, it's Com's departure from relevance to hug rap vs. arguably the most influential album of the early 2000s.

-Blueprint is one of the most overrated albums this decade, not one of the best and shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as anything else in this thread.

-Be is one of my favorite albums ever, the only reason why I left it off my original list is because I was kind of trying to limit it to one release per artist. As for FF,
indifferent.gif
The juxtaposition of those two statements has me worried for your sanity. Here's how it should have read.

-Be is one of the most overrated albums this decade, not one of the best and shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as anything else in this thread.

-Blueprint is one of my favorite albums ever, the only reason why I left it off my original list is because I was kind of trying to limit it to one release per artist. As for [AG/TBA],
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
Jay stans
Jay stans nothing, it's Com's departure from relevance to hug rap vs. arguably the most influential album of the early 2000s.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Aint nothing influential about BP. FOH with that +%$+. Say it's a classic, say it's better than Be, i don't care, numerous people share that viewpoint but don't let your love for Jay let you think BP was an "influential" album on any notable scale. Now I'm not gonna dismiss thestatement completely, I'll wait if you want start a discussion about what's so influential about it.

As for Com and his departure to "hug rap" you have a point. As McFly would say Be is a "softer"album than anything previously recorded inhis catalogue but if that inhibits you from seeing the quality in that album that's on you. Personally I love smoke to albums like Be and many other albumsyall would consider "soft" so excuse me while I roll a few more L's.

Originally Posted by MALI700

black star came out in 98 decade ten years... but hold on Stillmatic came out in 01 so no and then there's everything that Starvin Harlem posted except for IMO Diplomatic Immunity I'm taking foreign connection over that but that's just me personally...

This decade = 2000 through the present, not the last ten years. If you take into account albums released in 98 and 99 it adds a lot of weight to an alreadyhefty claim.

ok there are 2 influential things that i think about wehn we bring up blueprint
well 2 influential people
this album saw the rise of just blaze and kanye west as prominent producers in the game
i know these weren't their first appearances on a jay album, but their songs were the bulk of the album
also, you have takeover on the cd, which results in a battle that revives nas career.
so we cant just write off the blueprint as if its just a random album,

Originally Posted by bigblackafronation18

ok there are 2 influential things that i think about wehn we bring up blueprint
well 2 influential people
this album saw the rise of just blaze and kanye west as prominent producers in the game
i know these weren't their first appearances on a jay album, but their songs were the bulk of the album
also, you have takeover on the cd, which results in a battle that revives nas career.
so we cant just write off the blueprint as if its just a random album,

Compare that with my pick (Violent by Design). It almost single handedly put Philly underground hip hop back on the map, launched and blew up a few differentcareers and created a style that many tried to bite off of but failed.

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
Jay stans
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Aint nothing influential about BP. FOH with that +%$+. Say it's a classic, say it's better than Be, i don't care, numerous people share that view point but don't let your love for Jay let you think BP was an "influential" album on any notable scale. Now I'm not gonna dismiss the statement completely, I'll wait if you want start a discussion about what's so influential about it.

As for Com and his departure to "hug rap" you have a point. As McFly would say Be is a "softer"album than anything previously recorded in his catalogue but if that inhibits you from seeing the quality in that album that's on you. Personally I love smoke to albums like Be and many other albums yall would consider "soft" so excuse me while I roll a few more L's.
Don't talk about how my "love for Jay" is clouding my judgement... I think it's quite clear that something's clouding yours.

Blueprint has some of Jay's best lines, 16s, songs, ever. Add that to the fact that the style of production he utilized changed NYC rap at the time (what,you thought OD'ing on soul samples came out of nowhere?), one of the best verses of all time from a guest appearance, and don't forget the secondtrack. If you think that Takeover itself wasn't influential (divorce the word from whatever connotations you may have with it, just influential period),you're not in this forum very often, because everything in that song down to the Doors sample still makes waves. Truthfully, as heavy as Kanye was on bothalbums, I'm surprised we're having this conversation, because sonic-stylistically, they're not all that dissimilar.

As for your last comment, as someone who smokes to heavy metal, I'm certainly not going to knock your burn music,
laugh.gif

Blueprint has some of Jay's best lines, 16s, songs, ever. Add that to the fact that the style of production he utilized changed NYC rap at the time (what, you thought OD'ing on soul samples came out of nowhere?), one of the best verses of all time from a guest appearance, and don't forget the second track. If you think that Takeover itself wasn't influential (divorce the word from whatever connotations you may have with it, just influential period), you're not in this forum very often, because everything in that song down to the Doors sample still makes waves. Truthfully, as heavy as Kanye was on both albums, I'm surprised we're having this conversation, because sonic-stylistically, they're not all that dissimilar.

I was a little drunk last night but I still stand by what I said for the most part. I kind of contradicted myself early on by saing BP isn't influential atall and then right after saying that it's not influential on a notable scale. I meant the latter. When I think of truly influential hip hop albums I thinkof Illmatic, OB4CL, Ready to Die, It Takes A Nation of Millions, Moment of Truth, Black On Both Sides, The Chronic, etc. Saying BP isn't influential at allis dumb.

Whether or not BP has some of Jay's best lines/songs is a matter of opinion but even then, I don't think that necessarily contributes to the influencean album has on the genre. Same with Em's verse, nothing influential about it, it just heavily contributes to the album.

Takeover I agree was definitely influential, it contributed not only to the album but to history.

you're not in this forum very often

False

I wouldn't attribute BP to the rise of Just Blaze. IMO The Rock La Familia album and his work with Beans and other Roc members prior to that was whatreally established his career. Being as Kanye played a far greater roll in BP then Blaze I'll acknowledge that point but please, lets not act like 'Yeinvented soul samples.

Back
Top Bottom