Is the jury still out on Marvin Williams?

I dont get to see him play much and all I can really do is look at boxscores and game write ups. I watched a ton of his college games and thought he was goingto be very good. This is his 5th year in the league now, and although solid, is not putting up 2nd pick in the draft type numbers. Is his game reallydeveloping all that much? Do you still think he has the potential to reach star level? Or is he destined to be what he is now, a solid contributer not afranchise difference maker?

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Statis22

He wasn't worth passing Deron/Paul up for. Wasn't then, still isn't now.
This sums up the whole argument on Marvin Williams. To be fair to the Hawks...I don't think they needed a PG at the time. I might be mistakenthough.

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

This sums up the whole argument on Marvin Williams. To be fair to the Hawks...I don't think they needed a PG at the time. I might be mistaken though.

He is right, and you are right. But regardless of the fact that superstar point guards were drafted AFTER him, what do you guys think? Can he still become astar? Is he developing at all? Is he going to be this kind of player for his whole career?

Originally Posted by dland24

This sums up the whole argument on Marvin Williams. To be fair to the Hawks...I don't think they needed a PG at the time. I might be mistaken though.

He is right, and you are right. But regardless of the fact that superstar point guards were drafted AFTER him, what do you guys think? Can he still become a star? Is he developing at all? Is he going to be this kind of player for his whole career?
i think he's become all he's going to be, no more than a third or fourth option. No way, even back then, should he have been drafted thathigh

The PGs during Williams rookie year were Tyrone Lue, Salim Stoudamire, and Royal Ivey...

^Yeah but wasnt Joe Johnson brought in there to be run the point that year?

Chris Paul & Deron Williams were taken after him, that will always be brought up when debating if Atlanta made the right choice. He'll always have thataround him when being thrown into discussions. I think he'll be a solid player & contributer to whatever team he is on. His potential & successwon't match that of what a #2 pick should be though.

ummm yes they did

Sick just thinking about what could of been having Paul with those athletes. I mean Atlanta is having a good year anyway but add Deron or Chris and take outBibby and we would be favorites to come out of the East.

Originally Posted by dland24

^Yeah but wasnt Joe Johnson brought in there to be run the point that year?
I don't think they wanted Joe to run point full time. Even then, it's not much of an excuse to pick Marvin and pass on CP3 and Deron.

MArv techincally HAS improved and through the years HAS added a much more semi-reliable 3pt shot to his game. Thats about the biggest improvement noticeable.
I've seen him take it in, now and then but he doesnt do it consistently. He reminds me of the matchup headache that Beasley is/can become/could be, butMarv seems MUCH softer and Beas is already showing a greater willingness to take it in whereas MW hasnt really. He'd rather shoot the J.

Really wanna see he kidthrive andhe DOES have time. He's not yet 24, thats usually the age when it alot clicks and theY enter their prime, this is true forstars of today and recent history pretty much. Marv hits 24 in june. Jury's still kinda out.

he will get better, much better, but he will never be a 2nd overall pick type of player...

MW was drafted on potential alone. He was a 6th man in his one year at UNC. CP3 and D-Will were already showing flashes of greatness in college. Passin' onthose two was a huge mistake. The Hawks needed a credible PG. Could you imagine CP3 or D-Will on the Hawks now? The Hawks would've had sucess sooner ratherthan now. Its no coincedence that they ended that playoff drought when they installed a credible PG in the backcourt (Mike Bibby).

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

Originally Posted by DLo13

He's an average NBA SF. Nothing more...

I wonder why this pick wasn't made fun of like the Darko pick.???

cuz the players selected DIRECTLY after Darko are: Carmelo, D-Wade, Chris Bosh.

Wonder if Chad Ford still believes when all is said and done he will be the best player out of this draft class.

Originally Posted by eight2one

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

Originally Posted by DLo13

He's an average NBA SF. Nothing more...

I wonder why this pick wasn't made fun of like the Darko pick.???

cuz the players selected DIRECTLY after Darko are: Carmelo, D-Wade, Chris Bosh.

And the players selected DIRECTLY after Marvin are: Deron Williams and Chris Paul. Not to mention having Bynum and Granger in that draft too.

Yeah but at least Marvin was contributing (Due to the Hawks being buns at the time)

Darko was human victory cigar status as a rookie. Plus he's European, them boys tend to get roasted extra hard if they turn out to be busts.

CP3 and DWill made a killin' when the Hawks worked them out. The could've easily get a SF off the heap.
smh.gif

Not to high jack the thread, but why did Danny Granger go late? Dude was nasty at New Mexico. Let me guess, he was too old, being a 22 year old entry at thetime right?

Back
Top Bottom