Is the OG material always better?

Straight from an OG collector and researcher who actually had the shoes when they came out up till now

I promise you he does not know for a fact that 99s werent real Durabuck he states Nike used their own version. but I clearly remember on Nike.com when I ordered my white cements that they were made from trademarked Durabuck as stated in the description on the Nike website! ive owned ogs and all other retros and I promise you that the 99s were in fact real Durabuck despite info some other collector has posted.

So that group of collectors don’t know what they’re talking about? If what you’re saying is in fact true, I concede(even though the OP was not exactly about this specific exchange), but for future’s sake, there needs to be more than anecdotal evidence on your part.

maybe just maybe Nike used the Durabuck name until stock ran out or a contract ended. I personally feel the 99s were actual Durabuck the way they felt,smelled , cleaned up it was just as i remembered. im going to do my own research because I remember Nike using that Durabuck name in 99.

IMG_20190703_174326.jpg
Didn't want to derail any current threads but I just got these in today. Finally have the all three original mids. Completely stoked right now.

We have to understand with time, change is necessary. Yes, most times OG material is better quality, but not always. And then , with time, design changes are made for better tech, comfort etc.

Maybe if they went with durabuck on the retro we wouldnt have to worry about yellow netting because the whole upper would be yellowed. The genuine leather is pointless if they dont address the netting too. Its actually worse off.

People love fixing things that aint broke to justify their place at work. Trust the tinker, never doubt. Just make the damn shoes how he made them the first time and quit trying to be the hero no body asked for. They just cannot compete with the dude’s eye for detail but they wanna improve on his designs. Lunacy.

I know a lot of peeps gonna disagree, but I’m pretty sure the 2019 blk Infrared 6 is better quality than the og. The new material is very similar to durabuck but not exactly, supposedly Nike fixed the cracking issues that the original durabuck had. Then, you have the midsoles. On og’s we all know these were open polyurethane which tended to either soften or crumble over time. Retros are now made with closed polyurethane which isn’t as soft or comfortable but is much more durable.

Overall both shoes are super close though in feel and appearance (and smell). The og was more comfortable but the 2019 will likely prove more durable and last longer.

IMG_20190703_174326.jpg
Didn't want to derail any current threads but I just got these in today. Finally have the all three original mids. Completely stoked right now.

Congrats. Now if only there was a way to stop discolored white patent leather.

To sum it up. The originals felt great out the box. The durability overall was not there. The newer retros are made to last longer. While at the same time giving up the soft leathers and midsoles. Im good with it though. They cant satisfy everyone.

Congrats. Now if only there was a way to stop discolored white patent leather.
No **** right? Still very happy with them. The overall condition of these are great with what I paid for them. But yeah, the pl, dont look at it side ways, it will flake off. It was for collection purposes anyway.

I'll take open-cell polyurethane over closed-cell anyday. ~10 year life span and all.

JB wants money; I feel virtually no fear of a classic never coming back unless they go out of business. Current comfort will always be preferable to the thought of a pair lasting longer for me.

Last edited:
They will never stop bringing back shoes that got them where they are at this point. The only thing up in the air is what type of release they will be. As long as the original colors are easy to get, Im good.

Back
Top Bottom