Is the Superdome the most historic active sports venue in the world?

Originally Posted by kangaroobombs

Screw Soccer...

WE don't watch that crap in America

Face_kicked_bus.gif

Originally Posted by kangaroobombs

Screw Soccer...

WE don't watch that crap in America
Over a half a billion dollars shelled out by FOX for World Cup TV rights in the U.S. says otherwise. 
laugh.gif

The patriot in me will say Wembley -merely by being one of the oldest stadiums in the world, it has more history than it's US counterparts, but also because it has hosted some of the biggest worldwide events.

Neither the Superdome or MSG has held an Olympic games or World Cup final.

I would say MSG is certainly the most prestigious and iconic stadium in the US, closely followed by the Superdome and Yankee Stadium.

Originally Posted by FIREPOWER23

The patriot in me will say Wembley -merely by being one of the oldest stadiums in the world, it has more history than it's US counterparts, but also because it has hosted some of the biggest worldwide events.

Neither the Superdome or MSG has held an Olympic games or World Cup final.

I would say MSG is certainly the most prestigious and iconic stadium in the US, closely followed by the Superdome and Yankee Stadium.
Good point about Wembley.  A LOT of history has been held there.

I know that MSG is the most famous arena in the U.S. However, I'm thinking of historic events that have taken place in a single arena over multiple separate athletic events. Since Yankee Stadium has only been in place for a couple years, I fail to categorize it with the old Yankee Stadium.

There might be more well known sporting venues in the U.S. but I dont know if any of them are hosting big time events as often as the Superdome is. There is almost a big event there every year. It hosts Super Bowls, BCS games, Final 4, boxing, and obviously the Saints. MSG isnt having those types of events on the reg. 

Originally Posted by jhova718

Why do people keep posting yankee stadium?? It doesnt exist anymore lol
By that token, neither does the Superdome, what with the post-Katrina renovations.
Not sure about giving all these votes to a Dome that was pretty much designed specifically to attract the Saints....which have been the model franchise for ineptitude. It has very little 'home' history, compared to Yankee, Fenway, Wrigley, Dodger, Lambeau, etc. If you bring up recently closed stadiums, the list grows.

Because the Dome is located in a warm-weather city, it's going to be on the short list for rotating events like the Final 4/BCS Title Game, and would naturally have a better chance hosting a game where something memorable occurs.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Estadio Azteca > 
[h3]Notable events[/h3]

Spectators outside Estadio Azteca

Estadio Azteca has hosted a variety of international sporting competitions, including:
20120123-60040_estadio_azteca2.jpg

Both "game of the century" and "hand of god" occurred there..

First thing that came to my head.,

Estadio Azteca.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom