Is the Ultraposite really that good?

I've always wondered what the benefit of foam is anyway? Its heavy, it doesn't breathe. I guess it's supposed to last? but the sole still wears out so the shoes wont last forever. Soles wear out before uppers typically on non-foamposite shoes (except suede) so where's the improvement?
"i will slap someone if i ever see anyone wear them and try to stunt wit them" -masterani3

Quote:
But at what risk? In regard to Jason Kidd, I found out that he hated the shoe. He said that not only did his feet "hurt" after wearing them, but his back hurt as well.
formerly shoeWUfreak

^Not only does it mold, but the key is that it doesn't stretch over time and with wear.
Clutch.

Nascar,and Poker ARE NOT SPORTS!!!

Top 5 Best Nike basketball Sneaker ever. As you can check my previous posts, If NIKE could use the midsole material that they used on the LBJ4's, that would relive the Ultraposite of its "Scratch magnet" persona.

This pair of kicks is like that. I know the wear I put on my KG foams, so before I created more damage to these, I just put them up... Scratches aside, Best looking (besides the Foamposite), but best performance is #1 in my book.

nkw11,

Obviously I cannot reveal my sources, but those sources are quite reliable.

On your statement about why it is that "performance" basketball isn't doing well versus Retro, I think that the biggest problem is that people on Niketalk don't seem to understand that Retro shoes, used to be considered perfomance shoes!

Many, including myself, don't feel the need to have the latest gadget driven shoes, in order to play some ball, especially if it doesn't even work!

Monkey Paws (Don't work), Zoom Air (Not made for all body types), Posit, are indeed great efforts into improving the performance aspect of hoops shoes. But again, those inroads cannot be considered a success, unless they actually work, forcing the industry to move away from what is was already doing.

That said, all of this hoopla about how 'posit doesn't stretch, really doesn't speak well about the Ultraposite.

Many of you know that when you play, your foot does not stay the same size as when you first lace up. The foot expands, swells, and then it begins to sweat. A shoe not allowing this sort of expansion will contribute to, or cause, NUMBNESS. Without decent ventilation, something that the Ultraposite cannot claim to have, heat cannot dissipate properly, even the Converse Chuck Taylor has this over the Ultraposite.

So again, whenever I read this "greatest shoe ever" stuff here on NikeTalk, I truly consider the source.

The opinion here says,

* The upper scuffs too easily, and they are dust magnets....
* The Upper of the shoe needs to be broken in a bit more, but the sole doesn't last, even though supposedly 'lesser' shoes don't require any break in time..but the sole doesn't work on all court surfaces...
* NO ventilation...
* Underproduced...

^ Even though all of this has been stated by those who claim to LIKE this shoe, it is still considered "Top 5 Best" by some on this very post.

Does that make ANY sense???

Different strokes for different folks. A basketball shoe isn't to last forever, but to last long enough to offer substantial-to-great performance. Who cares if the upper scuffs easily when they are playing? All soles will degrade over time, but it's what's offered while those initial runs that matters. Ventilations problems seem to be another "posite" characteristic that ballers just seem to deal with. And it was overproduced because Nike didn't want to lose money on a shoe people didn't give a chance.

These points really don't play into direct effect of performance to some ball players; others it's a must. Those who don't value them ranked this shoe very high; others haven't. That's the risk/reward for high-performance basketball shoes. Always has been; always will be.
TEAM iSketch
I'm Unbeatable

i dunno, i tend to agree with dude. i've played in many a shoe over my time, from chucks to adidas pro model 2gs to fila grant hills to and1s.. most jordans, lebrons, pippens, barkleys.. max air, zoom air, shox, and combinations thereof (penny iv has zoom+max, shox bb4 and stunner have zoom+shox).. ultraflights, flight huaraches, 2k4s and 5s..

and to me, foamposite is a very very overrated material for hoop shoes. sure, it looks cool, and lasts long - but i really don't like the feeling of a heavy plasticky material around my foot with no give to it.

i know niketalkers hate creases in shoes, but those of us that actually play ball in our shoes know that our feet MOVE - creasing comes in response to the motions of your feet (you can't play very well walking duckfooted), running, cutting, spinning, jumping, stopping.. and to me, foamposite shoes really inhibit the natural motion of my foot.

if i wanted to play in a pair of boots, i would (and i have, in my younger days when those were the only shoes i had on my feet and my friends and i wanted to get a quick game to 21 in on the asphalt).

that's what foamposites feel like to me - boots. and that's why i will continue to rock them as rain and snow shoes, not for serious hooping.
peace.
and size twelve is the illest
your style is played out, like arnold wondered
what you talkin' bout, willis?

Jack, In all honesty, thats you're Opinion.

Zoom air isn't for everyone.. thats why you have different options for comfort/stability... I'm a lightweight. It works fine for me.

As for Foamposite, It DOES work... If it didn't, why would NIKE waste their time using it? -The used it for LeBron? -why waste their time?? -It works, But you seem to forget, ITS STILL TOO EXPENSIVE.

Ventilation?? Maybe not... But I played with the zipper down some times.. But c'mon, Name me 1 pair of ballin' kicks that DON'T have your feet sweating. All shoes vent, just some better than others. Everyone sweats.

* The upper scuffs too easily, and they are dust magnets....

-Neoprene or whatever the fabric is uptop collects dust on any shoe.

* The Upper of the shoe needs to be broken in a bit more, but the sole doesn't last, even though supposedly 'lesser' shoes don't require any break in time..but the sole doesn't work on all court surfaces...

-I call "BULL" on your assumption.. The shoe was sligthly stiff the first few wearings true, but after that the shoe feels GREAT. Your heel locks into the inner bootie with the gracious padding that wraps around the back of your ankle... I had NO slippage going up.

* NO ventilation...

-"SLIGHT" Ventilation.

* Underproduced...

-Maybe, But you can't take the fact that Fomposite is Expensive out of the equation...

As for JKIdd, He may not like Foamposite material... thats like old ballplayers wearing CANVAS sneakers changing over to Leather.. Do you think They liked it? -Maybe, Maybe not... Besides, The shoe runs narrow... I don't see JKidd as a narrow-foot player.

Like I said before... NIKE seriously needs to re-look at this shoe... the performance of this shoe is incredible.

So yeah, it makes alot of sense.

Here... did this up real quick... Just an update to a bangin' shoe.

4pc8z04.jpg

The shoe would be all black of course... I just shaded it grey so the areas commented on were highlighted.

-the grill of course has to be silver... all the "pop" on the shoe is silver anyways... real sleek.

"Different strokes for different folks."

No doubt. However In the case of athletic equipment, people will naturally gravitate toward the most reliable, and best. Since this shoe did not sell well, and then it wasn't fully embraced by College or NBA players, or even rec players, I don't think that anyone could consider this shoe to being a "Top 5", shoe outside of Niketalk.

"Of course you cant reveal you sources."

Okay, answer this for yourself then. How long did Jason wear this shoe? If it were THAT shoe, don't you think that he'd still wear it? He was wearing his old sig shoes, the zoom flights, two years ago, doesn't that say anything? As I've stated, it's a Nike Talk legend. A crew of sneaker elitists who'll consider a shoe to be "the greatest ever", simply because of a designer involved.

Speaking of another Nike Talk legend, "ITS STILL TOO EXPENSIVE".

I've read this here quite a few times, in regard to Foam Molds being too expensive to produce.

Do you really believe that? I mean didn't they just retro Penny's shoes? Nike has enough money to produce whatever they want, so cut the crap! How much money did they give to Kobe Bryant? What's the return on his shoes???

If Nike thought that making shoes out of Dog poo would make them money, they'd "just do it".

Again, the Ultraposite is a beautiful looking shoe, but it's just didn't do, what it was supposed to do.

Wasnt the ultraposite releases scrapped due to really poor sales?I remember going to footaction to buy my pair and they were all rtv'ed because of poor sales and I believe at that time Footlocker wasnt able to carry alot of shoes due to them ignoring release dates.I could be wrong but I dont ever remember seening these at footlockers in the seattle area back in the day.

Stop... "Expensive" came from the source: NIKE and their designers... Have you been reading? -Or is all your information is from your so-called "Sources"?... And check your sources.. Thats a NEW mold! -The old mold was deystroyed a long time ago... Put a original vs a retro.. same size, the lines don't add up. Kobe's shoe is made of leather.. fabric is dirt cheap to source and manufacture. I'm into design (my Profession), and I've been overseas to factories.. Trust me, it's cheap. Perf, pebble -whatever, Dirt Cheap.

"Different strokes for different folks."

Exactly. It seems that the Majority of owners of this shoe Love it.. you just happen to not like it. Your opinion. Move on now.

What Nike designer came on Niketalk, then said that Foam molds are too expensive to make? Since it is supposedly public knowledge and this person came here then said this, either put up the link, or quote the source.

"Majority of owners of this shoe Love it."

Again, prove it, quote your sources. My proof is in the sales of the shoe, or lack thereof, and the players who didn't wear it.

"Move on now"

What? You've chumped yourself enough, so don't do it any further by trying to ACT like a shoe designer and MOD as well.

I don't have to prove myself , NOR do I have to put up any links... Hey, if the majority of people on this topic likes them more than hates them is that good enough? NAW. because your "sources" prove different. (wow, 1 player.. and thats IF thats true) -please. Move on because I'm not trying to turn this into an argument.

"JKidd don't like the shoe.. Trust me, I know the source.."

Oh, and a Mod knows who I am.. I don't know his name, but he can tell you what I do... I don't act, I DO. Not like a certain "some-wanna be source knows-all".

-We don't believe you, you need more people. <JayZ

Let's not get worked up over a shoe, fellas.

I just wanted to see if it was as good as "advertised".

Some say it is, while others say it isn't.

Now I have to be my own source of affirmation by acquiring a pair and testing it out.

Thanks for all of the input.
TEAM iSketch
I'm Unbeatable

Can't prove anything, can you?

This is what you said AIR 96st,

"Top 5 best Nike basketball Sneaker ever", correct?

If it is so good, why does it need ANY improvements?

You don't even think it is that good yourself, so you even posted your battle plan.

Whatever man, because if Nike Basketball is actually listening to people like you, it's no wonder that they fell off faster than Hilfiger, with Jordan Brand kicking them deep in the tail.

it is kind of weird how some love it, but it bombed in the league. I'd imagine it performs well for a small segment of the population, ...probably not larger dudes given it's lack of acceptance by NBA ballers.

the only posite shoe i have experience with is the fp3. those were too narrow, plus heavy. I gave them a whirl b/c I paid 8 bucks for them at marshalls. of course they were super ugly, but I don't think that's the only reason they ended up at marshalls.

That review by Prof K definitely spells out that it's not for wide feet. so keep that in mind DaNextGrate if you're still going to try and get them.

"i will slap someone if i ever see anyone wear them and try to stunt wit them" -masterani3

"He didn't say it was perfect now did he?"

Are YOU his spokesman?

Bottom line, if something is considered Top 5, especially with the history that NIKE has, it'd better be damn near perfect.

Maybe some of these "experts," should preface what they say with, "from what I have worn".

Kidd was mentioned in the 'Great' Professor's review, and he didn't wear the things.

There is a NIkeTalk truth, and there is real time truth, I side with the latter.

I side with my opinion.. It's my top 5 in my opinion... What' s your "top 5" -all Jordans, huh??? You talk like a mister know-it-all, so lemmie have it.. And NB fell off, for who, you? I still cop... LB's, S.T.A.T.'s and I dont like the dude, but I'm gonna ID some Kobe's.. So how did they fall off??

Clutch, thanks for the assist. No shoe is perfect. Wack-imean Jack just upset...

Quote:
In regard to Jason Kidd, I found out that he hated the shoe. He said that not only did his feet "hurt" after wearing them, but his back hurt as well.

Are YOU his spokesman?

Quote:
Maybe some of these "experts," should preface what they say with, "from what I have worn".
Clutch.

Nascar,and Poker ARE NOT SPORTS!!!

Back
Top Bottom