Is there a bigger influence than mass media?

By mass media, i mean internet (NT), radio, tv, music, films, magazines etc.

{I was reading an article by a guy named Klapper (longread) and he basically said that the media does not dictate what people do, but rather reinforces their beliefs...anyways the article is irrelevant to mythought really...}

But this got me thinkin, take the rap game for example...I know so many people that act like they got the "connect" and they are the "gotoguy" for drugs with the cheaper price...and then I explore that connect to find out, no you don't have the best price/quality, and you are just amiddle man, wasting my time
smh.gif

Which makes me wonder, why would somebody go through all the trouble of running drugs and not even make any money off of it? And more importantly going throughalot of trouble to find something, and sometimes taking hours of their time...

If this was me, I'd be like "sorry", I'm not risking myself, or my time, so you can get high...w/o money...and like 20 dollars anhour(although it shouldn't take that long)

Kids today hear their favorite rapper rappin about drugs and think they get cool points for portrayin that image. To me that sounds like the form of media isso highly influential and in this case, is not reinforcing preexisting beliefs, because what belief is that?

I mean I love rap to death, and I don't think it is responsible for deaths etc....or do I? I'm not sure...what do you guys think?

but I mean do you think that rap music and other media IS responsible for some things?

Religion it has controlled mankind for over a millennium, its influence runs deep in the core of society. In the year 3000 mass media will probably be on toptho.

smokin.gif

^^Thats what I was thinking too, media has overtaken religion...BTW are you a media person?

Originally Posted by hella handsome

Originally Posted by ChiqGa

media's strength dies as da internet becomes stronger and stronger.
i thought the internet was part of the media?
nerd.gif

it is >_>

In this case it is (well it just is)...Internet and video games are making all other forms of media go bye bye...

It's definitely a toss up between religion and mass media.
As for the question of rap affecting youth- all music does, as all forms of media do. The subject matter of rap music may tend to be a little different from,say, most metal, but metal's content affects kids just as much.

I don't even know what's worse anymore....religion or media. Both are really messing people's natural thought processes and are really messing withsociety. However...media is actually USEFUL in many ways, despite the negative influence it can have. You really can't have a modern society withoutmedia....America really needs to stop focusing on censorship and all that conservative b/s and start focusing on getting rid of the excessive advertising andproduct placement.

So yea, Media and Religion....BOTH equally influential. BOTH equally destructive.

your post is kind of all over the place, you started talking about mass media and then about rap and deaths

Originally Posted by OGfiend

I don't even know what's worse anymore....religion or media. Both are really messing people's natural thought processes and are really messing with society. However...media is actually USEFUL in many ways, despite the negative influence it can have. You really can't have a modern society without media....America really needs to stop focusing on censorship and all that conservative b/s and start focusing on getting rid of the excessive advertising and product placement.

So yea, Media and Religion....BOTH equally influential. BOTH equally destructive.

but your saying the media is destructive, and your also saying we need to get rid of censorship?? explain please, because that clashes to me.

There is nothing more powerful of an influence than Religion, as it taps deep into the person's spiritual beliefs, thoughts, and actions whereas Mass Media only influences thoughts and actions. Nothing is moredifficult to change about someone than their deeply ingrained beliefs system.

Originally Posted by buggz05

^^Thats what I was thinking too, media has overtaken religion...BTW are you a media person?

Im not sure what you mean by media person but it is my major and I wouuld consider myself a journalist if I wasn't involved and working in a whole difffield(animation)

smokin.gif

^sweet where do you goto school? Theres a good animation school not to far from where I'm at in Illinois.

^ Was in CT, Bridgeport University(for some odd reason I dont know) but now I'm back in NY working n attending some classes at NYU for the time being.

smokin.gif

Back
Top Bottom