Is there anything more annoying than cashiers making small talk to you about your purchases?

It doesn't bother me at all. If they want to small talk then I'll talk with them but if there's a self checkout I will go there instead. :lol:

Last edited:
Some of you must need to go out more often. Being anti social isn't a good thing.
mean.gif

I think people at gas stations who hold up the line to buy a whole bunch of items like they're in a grocery store are more annoying,

:lol: I do this, not really my fault if its only one cashier working and the guy is really slow. The people buying the lotto tickets that take forever annoy me too. I cant justify someone taking forever for a few items.

As far as small talk, I hate it when its overdone. Sometimes I dont wan't any small talk really depends on my mood. What I also dont like is when you can see the cashier have a attitude with you.

I hate small talk in general though and I dont think that automatically correlates with anti social, which is a term I think people use way to loosely now a days.

It ain't even a big deal. I'm an introverted cat, i'll entertain it, i just find it easier to move along with your life if you accomodate the minor things extroverts like. So i'm more an introvert on the extrovert line. If you're not introverted, you don't understand, and you drop all kinds of labels as demonstrated by this thread. Usually your mind is running all day, in deep conversation with yourself about something real, if what the cashier says is an extension of that thought, it can continue all day. But just your run of the mill small talk actually just interrupted my inner monologue when it was going good, and added nothing to it. You're not antisocial, shy nor do you dislike human interaction, you just like your space, and would rather if someone invades that space that it be meaningful.

On Introversion

Linda Kreger Silverman, Ph.D.
Gifted Development Center
Denver, Colorado

The American dream is to be extraverted. We want our children to be "people who need people." We want them to have lots of friends, to like parties, to prefer to play outside with their buddies rather than retire with a good book, to make friends easily, to greet new experiences enthusiastically, to be good risk-takers, to be open about their feelings, to be trusting. We regard anyone who doesn’t fit this pattern with some concern. We call them "withdrawn," "aloof," "shy," "secretive," and "loners." These pejorative terms show the extent to which we misunderstand introverts.

The majority of Americans are extraverted (about 75%), but the majority of gifted children appear to be introverted (about 60%), and the percentage of introverts seems to increase with IQ (Silverman, 1986). In addition to the problems encountered with being gifted, these children are frequently misjudged because they are introverted. Introversion is a perfectly normal personality type identified by Carl Jung. It is actually healthy to be an introvert. The only unhealthy part of it is denying your true self and trying to disguise yourself as an extravert.

Introverts are wired differently from extraverts and they have different needs. Extraverts get their energy from interaction with people and the external world. Introverts get their energy from within themselves; too much interaction drains their energy and they need to retreat from the world to recharge their batteries. People can be extreme extraverts, extreme introverts, or a combination of both. Since extraversion is the dominant mode in our society, there are no "closet extraverts," but there are many "closet introverts," people who are so ashamed of their introversion that they try to be extraverts.

Here are some tips on the care and feeding of the introverts in your family or classroom:

HOW TO CARE FOR INTROVERTS

* Respect their need for privacy.

* Never embarrass them in public.

* Let them observe first in new situations.

* Give them time to think. Don’t demand instant answers.

* Don’t interrupt them.

* Give them advanced notice of expected changes in their lives.

* Give them 15 minute warnings to finish whatever they are doing before calling them to dinner or moving on to the next activity.

* Reprimand them privately.

* Teach them new skills privately rather than in public.

* Enable them to find one best friend who has similar interests and abilities:
encourage this relationship even if the friend moves.

* Do not push them to make lots of friends.

* Respect their introversion. Don’t try to remake them into extraverts.

Introverts need to learn about the positive benefits of their personality type. They need to be taught that reflection is a good quality, that the most creative individuals sought solitude, and that leaders in academic, aesthetic and technical fields are often introverts. Parents need to know that more National Merit Scholars are introverted than extraverted, and that introverts have higher grade point averages in Ivy League colleges than extraverts (Silverman, 1986). Contrary to public opinion, success in life is not dependent upon extraversion. Introverts also have an advantage at midlife in that long, hard journey to the soul which heralds the second half of the life cycle. The time has come to respect the introverts in our families and classrooms, and the hidden introvert in ourselves.

I recommend the book Please Understand Me for parents, teachers and students to gain a better grasp of the different personality types in our lives. Great for family reading!

REFERENCE

Keirsey, D., & Bates, M. (1978). Please understand me: Character & temperament types. Del Mar, CA: Prometheus Nemesis Books.

Silverman, L.K., (1986). Parenting young gifted children. In J.R. Whitmore (Ed.), Intellectual giftedness in young children. New York: The Haworth Press.

http://www.terra.es/personal/asstib/articulos/perso/perso2.htm

Last edited:
I watch the interaction with the patron ahead of me & adjust accordingly. If need be, I pull out the "no speaka Ingles" face & no small talk happens.

Try it.

http://jerrybrito.org/post/6114304704/top-ten-myths-about-introverts

Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.
This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.
Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.
Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.
On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.
Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone.
Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.
Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds.
Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.

Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun.
Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.

Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.
Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.

But you either get used to the judgemental majority, or just really stop giving a ****, they'll never understand.

I do this everyday :lol:

I mainly talk about sports though. It gets me through the day

And that's the main reason why i'll engage in it, that person is just trying to make the day go by smoother, and having done customer service jobs, you have to know how to talk to people. I can't stand poor customer service, so a smiling small talker is actually kinda appreciated in the grand scheme of things.

I actually like talking to cashiers, especially around campus lol. A quiet transaction is pretty weird in itself.

And that's the main reason why i'll engage in it, that person is just trying to make the day go by smoother, and having done customer service jobs, you have to know how to talk to people. I can't stand poor customer service, so a smiling small talker is actually kinda appreciated in the grand scheme of things.
yea, the  many customer service/retail jobs ive held also make me notice bad customer service...

nothing worse than the person going to get ur shoes/fix ur phone/make ur burger/whatever and they have an attitude...like, u forced them to take that crappy job...lol..it really pisses me off..especially in the mall, when cats be trying so damn hard to be cool that it affects how they do their job...YOUR at work, i shouldnt have to seek u out, come ask me if im finding everything ok..damn..lol..idk..

alll my retail jobs always told me to interact every person that walks thru the door with hi, how can i help you...so at the minimum, thats the interaction i expect when im shopping...

yall getting toooo to anti nowadays...not even necessary..smh

But the topic is about when they are asking you about your life story and thus holding the transaction up, b. When they are reading labels, yelling across to other cashiers ""Sharon Look!! When we start selling these? What aisle did you get these from," on every thing they ring up, shun and yes that is an annoyance because obviously it slows me down and furthermore makes themselves less efficient, but I digress. My NT approval rating is at an all time low.

....but the stuff you just said when you made the thread that it was about small talk.
....and your examples were questions about the purchases. so which one is it buddy?

....but the stuff you just said when you made the thread that it was about small talk.
....and your examples were questions about the purchases. so which one is it buddy?
small talk to you about your purchases. Couldn't be more clear than that. You just either or-ed 2 things that are not mutually exclusive. And btw, 30k posts over a period of more than 11 yrs doesn't even amount to 8 per day. OMG, OMG, I'm always on the NT!

Last edited:
I still work retail...

I only greet you if I see you...

If you need help, you better ask because I'm not asking for you..

I went to the Supermarket today just to pick up some water and I was going to hit the self checkout but this thread made me do other wise. Went to this line with this girl running it. This is the supermarket by my house so I go there pretty often and shes never one to make small talk. She seems like she doesnt like working there. So I took it upon myself to make small talk with her. She was wearing some other guys nametag so I just make jokes about that. Put a smile on her face and hopefully made her day easier.

Last edited:
I went to the Supermarket today just to pick up some water and I was going to hit the self checkout but this thread made me do other wise. Went to this line with this girl running it. This is the supermarket by my house so I go there pretty often and shes never one to make small talk. She seems like she doesnt like working there. So I took it upon myself to make small talk with her. She was wearing some other guys nametag so I just make jokes about that. Put a smile on her face and hopefully made her day easier.
Changing lives, one cashier at a time.
smile.gif

looks like you need to buy your groceries on amazon. tough life when a cashier trying to be nice is the most annoying thing in your day.

looks like you need to buy your groceries on amazon. tough life when a cashier trying to be nice is the most annoying thing in your day.
If it were possible, it would actually save me a significant amount of time and money since I have to drive into town to get my groceries or pay Yeezy resale prices at the neighborhood grocery store. But buying produce sight unseen, no bueno. They have that in London though, and OKC has a drive through market, but I don't live there so I've never been. You're right though, firstworldproblems.

Rhetorical question, no there is not.
cashier.jpg

"Oh, I've never seen these before, are they good? I have to try them."
"Vegetables, huh? Eating healthy are we?"
"Oh wow I didn't know we sold these, you gotta come back and tell me how they are."
And no, I don't want to sign up for a new credit card and incur potentially up to 1000's in new debt, to save 10% on my purchase.

it's part of their job dumbass, to be personable.

it's annoying, but not intolerable.

Back
Top Bottom