Issa Rae, New Line Team for 'Set It Off' Reimagining

Syreeta Singleton ('Black Monday') and Nina Gloster ('Star') have been hired to pen the script.

Issa Rae, the co-creator of HBO’s Insecure, is tackling a re-imagining of Set It Off, New Line’s crime thriller that starred Jada Pinkett Smith and Queen Latifah.

Rae will produce the new project with an eye to star. Producing with her will be Montrel McKay, her partner at Issa Rae Productions.

hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/issa-rae-new-line-team-set-it-reimagining-1240145

Ironically I have been working on a treatment for an all female version of The Godfather called The Godmother which features Queen Latifah in the role of Don Corleone

Ironically I have been working on a treatment for an all female version of The Godfather called The Godmother which features Queen Latifah in the role of Don Corleone
A female led mob movie does sound interesting. Unless that's been done before.

This could be a bad look for Issa if it doesn’t do well.

She should’ve been working on season 4 on insercure this summer instead, she wack for that.

I never understood the backlash for remakes.

It doesn't ruin the original.

It is rarely recognized in the linear story of the original.

Guess what, don't watch it just like every other movie you aren't interested in.

Non-Issue

Guess what, don't watch it just like every other movie you aren't interested in.

Non-Issue
People act like it's unnatural for directors and writers to want to remake **** they may have grew up on

And also act like many remakes aren't good. Scarface was a remake

WHY WE GOT TO REMAKE EVERYTHING OMG!!!!

source.gif

People act like it's unnatural for directors and writers to want to remake **** they may have grew up on

And also act like many remakes aren't good. Scarface was a remake

The Jaden Smith Karate Kid was good, but that isn't even the point.

I just don't understand why a movie that you have no interest in bothers folks simply because it shares the Title/Plot of another film.

We all know what happened to the recent Ghostbusters remake...

Yea, nobody even thinks about it.

Non-Issue

All the books, short stories, fables, comics, and video games in the Universe and you gonna tell me a story I heard before?

All the books, short stories, fables, comics, and video games in the Universe and you gonna tell me a story I heard before?

Directors are looking for safe content that they know has an established history/audience.

It is really that simple.

Directors are looking for safe content that they know has an established history/audience.

It is really that simple.

And that's problem. Studios always play it safe. Ghostbusters was remade and we all forgot about it. Jordan Peele made Get Out and Us and they did numbers and won awards. Hell, I saw Battle Angle Alita on recommendation of a 70 year white man in Texas. If he can handle that, its safe to say audiences are ready for creative stories.

And that's problem. Studios always play it safe. Ghostbusters was remade and we all forgot about it. Jordan Peele made Get Out and Us and they did numbers and won awards. Hell, I saw Battle Angle Alita on recommendation of a 70 year white man in Texas. If he can handle that, its safe to say audiences are ready for creative stories.
It is easy for us to say, "Being Safe" is a problem, we are the audience/consumer. We aren't presenting a project and asking others to fund it. So just a different perspective man. Whenever you are asking for someone else's money/blessing, you are asking that/those person(s) to take a RISK with their money/monies.

Non-Issue
I agree, only reason it bothers me is because resources that could be used towards making fresh original content keeps going to remakes because they are an easy sell. The quality and originality of movies has gone down greatly as a result, while innovative ideas are being passed on so budgets can be dropped on Jumanji and the 88th Spiderman film.

It is easy for us to say, "Being Safe" is a problem, we are the audience/consumer. We aren't presenting a project and asking others to fund it. So just a different perspective man. Whenever you are asking for someone else's money/blessing, you are asking that/those person(s) to take a RISK with their money/monies.

That's why I said, 'studios', not 'writers/directors'. For every one of theses 'safe' remakes getting green lit, its 4 "Moonlights" and 8"Us's" begging for money. It just blows my mind how Hollywood is constantly trying to tell us what we want to see, constantly being wrong, yet constantly persisting they have the answers. At least remake movies that need to be remade. They just doing whatever..

Reactions: wr
I've never really messed with remakes, most sequels, and superhero/comic book joints. The redundancy is off putting to me.

That's why I said, 'studios', not 'writers/directors'. For every one of theses 'safe' remakes getting green lit, its 4 "Moonlights" and 8"Us's" begging for money. It just blows my mind how Hollywood is constantly trying to tell us what we want to see, constantly being wrong, yet constantly persisting they have the answers. At least remake movies that need to be remade. They just doing whatever..
But I feel like there are PLENTY of "new ideas" being made yearly. (Especially on the indy scene). So the idea of, "We never get new films" has NEVER been my thought process. There are plenty of new concepts out there for your tastes.

Sillyness.
If they every try to remake juice, I'm calling for a boycott.

Takashi gonna be Bishop. :rofl:

But I feel like there are PLENTY of "new ideas" being made yearly. (Especially on the indy scene). So the idea of, "We never get new films" has NEVER been my thought process. There are plenty of new concepts out there for your tastes.

I partly agree, but most of those "new ideas" are sequels that were "new ideas". Quick List of movies that came or coming out in 2019

Avengers Endgame
The Lion King
Toy Story 4
Joker
Hobbs and Shaw
Spiderman Far from Home.
Ad Astra
Star Wars: Whatevathehell
Zombieland DoubleTap
Rambo: Last Blood
Aladdin
Terminator: Dark Fate