issues in the white community...

Originally Posted by SFC415

Originally Posted by So Nyuh Shi Dae

White people get blamed for pretty much everything. I remember there was a study done a few years ago which came to the conclusion that the SAT was biased towards white people and against blacks/Latinos because of the grammar/writing sections. Are you @#$@$! serious? That itself is a racist @#$ conclusion, since it's basically saying blacks and Latinos are unable to learn English. 
you should probably try reading about things that you reference. the study does not suggest that blacks or latinos are "unable to learn english". 
Of course it's not saying that openly. But what other explanation is there for making a stupid point like that? If you're illiterate, you're illiterate. There are plenty of white people who can barely form coherent sentences despite being born and raised in this country, yet the SAT grammar section is biased against blacks/Latinos 
eyes.gif
again, read what you're referencing. it has to do with the sat using language that white people would more likely be familiar with. the study compares students with equal academic aptitude. 

you should probably try reading about things that you reference. the study does not suggest that blacks or latinos are "unable to learn english". 
Of course it's not saying that openly. But what other explanation is there for making a stupid point like that? If you're illiterate, you're illiterate. There are plenty of white people who can barely form coherent sentences despite being born and raised in this country, yet the SAT grammar section is biased against blacks/Latinos 
eyes.gif
again, read what you're referencing. it has to do with the sat using language that white people would more likely be familiar with. the study compares students with equal academic aptitude. 
grin.gif
grin.gif
  You serious fam?  The hell does that even mean?

Man %!** this thread.  Too many dumb, unfounded, sweeping generalizations on both sides for my taste. 

Originally Posted by chickencurry4eva

eyes.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Man %!** this thread.  Too many dumb, unfounded, sweeping generalizations on both sides for my taste. 
is it really that difficult to understand that a given language is not uniform throughout a region? it's funny that you reject a study due to your inability to understand what that study is saying. 

Yall really need to step inside rural America see what the majority of poor people look like

grin.gif
grin.gif

is it really that difficult to understand that a given language is not uniform throughout a region? it's funny that you reject a study due to your inability to understand what that study is saying. 
It's all in the dictionary though, right? When I studied for the SAT I studied from a list of like 500 words. Why would some words not be fair game for a test? What words, if any, are more fair? 

Originally Posted by ectheg

grin.gif
grin.gif

It's all in the dictionary though, right? When I studied for the SAT I studied from a list of like 500 words. Why would some words not be fair game for a test? What words, if any, are more fair? 
not so sure about language used, but I do remember some questions or reading passages being something weird like trapping animals in the snow or something weird like that and the teacher it broke it down to us that the collegboard was trying to work on making the sat a bit more relatable to certain students. I consider myself as a somewhat intelligent person but I lived in the inner-city my entire life so when we worked on SAT passages or words like those; it was a bit harder.

grin.gif
grin.gif

Who said anything about region being a factor?  Are we to assume that words are widespread in certain parts of the country and are not widespread in others? C'mon son

That's what education is for to begin with. The SAT is not testing you on words that you might use at home or among particular groups of people.  The SAT is testing for words that high school students SHOULD be comfortable with, or at least have come in contact with during their 12 years of education.

You're insinuating that the SAT should be "dumbed-down" on the verbal portion in order to accommodate blacks, hispanics, and other minorities and that just gives way for others to perpetuate more stereotypes.

Originally Posted by Nowitzness41

Originally Posted by Deuce King

For the first time in a long time if ever alot of white people in here are getting a chance to look at themselves in the mirror and more importantly are being told how they look in the mirror by alot of black people in here and white people are not liking what they are seeing and hearing.  

Well.... were being told by minorities how they perceive our lives to be- yet you guys are failing to see that not every white person has the same background or upbringing. Its just as easy for you guys to group us all into one category and tell us how you think our lives are as it is for us to do the same to you- but then we would be seen as insensitive racists. Plus, we couldnt possibly know what its like or how hard it is to live a day in the life of a minority, right
grin.gif
(then dont do it to us)

I hear everything your saying, but that still doesn't address the misconception that alot (not all), but that alot of white people have towards minorities or even blacks.  You for example just last week tried to make a direct comparison of the Black Panther Party to the KKK.  Thank goodness I and a few others corrected you and that matter at hand and set you straight on a path on enlightement regarding that.  Now aftewards you did admit that you were wrong, and I'll give you credit for that but just the idea that you honestly thought the two were comparable or one in the same was shocking enough in itself. 

Then we have white people in this very thread that either have never heard of "white privilege" or even have the audacity to say it doesnt exist or try to be condescending when trying to explain it.  Talking about as a white person all they have to do is rub a "magic lamp" and all of a sudden the luxuries of the world just appear at their feet.  These dudes can't even take an honest inventory of themselves and see things for what they truly are.   

Wait, there are really college educated white people on this board that don't believe that white privilege exist?
eek.gif

Most times I have 0 hope for white/black relations in this country.
30t6p3b.gif

For the first time in a long time if ever alot of white people in here are getting a chance to look at themselves in the mirror and more importantly are being told how they look in the mirror by alot of black people in here and white people are not liking what they are seeing and hearing.  

Well.... were being told by minorities how they perceive our lives to be- yet you guys are failing to see that not every white person has the same background or upbringing. Its just as easy for you guys to group us all into one category and tell us how you think our lives are as it is for us to do the same to you- but then we would be seen as insensitive racists. Plus, we couldnt possibly know what its like or how hard it is to live a day in the life of a minority, right
grin.gif
(then dont do it to us)

I hear everything your saying, but that still doesn't address the misconception that alot (not all), but that alot of white people have towards minorities or even blacks.  You for example just last week tried to make a direct comparison of the Black Panther Party to the KKK.  Thank goodness I and a few others corrected you and that matter at hand and set you straight on a path on enlightement regarding that.  Now aftewards you did admit that you were wrong, and I'll give you credit for that but just the idea that you honestly thought the two were comparable or one in the same was shocking enough in itself. 

Then we have white people in this very thread that either have never heard of "white privilege" or even have the audacity to say it doesnt exist or try to be condescending when trying to explain it.  Talking about as a white person all they have to do is rub a "magic lamp" and all of a sudden the luxuries of the world just appear at their feet.  These dudes can't even take an honest inventory of themselves and see things for what they truly are.   

How do you look though looking from the outside in trying to tell somebody what privileges they have? You're basing this white privilege on the fact that the majority of the U.S is white so white people get to slide in everyday situations. That's what the white privilege is right? That we get better looks throughout life and have it slightly easier because we share the same skin color was the leaders of the country? 
Like I stated before, 2010 was the last year that white babies were the majority. Does the race who becomes the majority inherit this privilege? 

grin.gif
grin.gif

Who said anything about region being a factor?  Are we to assume that words are widespread in certain parts of the country and are not widespread in others? C'mon son

That's what education is for to begin with. The SAT is not testing you on words that you might use at home or among particular groups of people.  The SAT is testing for words that high school students SHOULD be comfortable with, or at least have come in contact with during their 12 years of education.

You're insinuating that the SAT should be "dumbed-down" on the verbal portion in order to accommodate blacks, hispanics, and other minorities and that just gives way for others to perpetuate more stereotypes.

Oh I see, you must be right, it's the Harvard educational review that is wrong. In a perfect world people who didnt know what they were talking about would be quiet. Perhaps learn something.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Oh I see, you must be right, it's the Harvard educational review that is wrong. In a perfect world people who didnt know what they were talking about would be quiet. Perhaps learn something.
If the Harvard Educational Review was correct, how would you explain why the average score for Asian students on the SAT blows white, blacks, and hispanic scores out of the water, most of whom are first generation Americans? 

Oh wait, I guess the SAT is biased to favor whites AND asians, my mistake
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by millionuppercuts

grin.gif
(then dont do it to us)

How do you look though looking from the outside in trying to tell somebody what privileges they have? You're basing this white privilege on the fact that the majority of the U.S is white so white people get to slide in everyday situations. That's what the white privilege is right? That we get better looks throughout life and have it slightly easier because we share the same skin color was the leaders of the country?    

I base my statement on the effects of white privilege has against me and people that look like me.  It is what it is, and nobdy is whining about it, but we are just calling an ace and ace and a spade a spade  Where white privilege is a benefit to them, it's a hinderance for us at times.  It doesn't mean we as a people can't overcome or jump over that hinderance but at the end of the day it's an extra barrier that we have to get threw where as they most likely don't.  If everyone in here doesn't understand that there is a SYSTEMATIC STRUCTURE in place to help establish "white privilege" then there's alot that folks have to study up on or educate themselves about.  Whether folks want to admit or not, the tree of racism still bears fruit, like it or not.

Like I stated before, 2010 was the last year that white babies were the majority. Does the race who becomes the majority inherit this privilege? 

We'll have to wait and see to make that determination when we get there champ.  For the time being however, white privilege is the one thats in command now.

^ I do get the "white privilege" thing- and i dont disagree that it exists.   

Your getting better week by week champ, keep up the good work
happy.gif

Some ghetto white guy walking into a rich white country club would get the same treatment as a ghetto black guy

I don't doubt you for this opinion above as that is how you feel that situation would be handled, I however think given that scenario that it wouldn't go down that way.  For this example, and this example alone we will agree to disagree.

Originally Posted by millionuppercuts

grin.gif
(then dont do it to us)

no. that's not what white privilege is at all.

No one is claiming that the entire racial score gap on the SAT is caused by test bias. At least I am not,There are very real educational differences between groups in contemporary society which would likely result in large gaps on even the fairest assessment of preparation for college. The point is that flaws in the SAT exaggerates those gaps, creating even higher barriers to post-secondary access for African Americans.

In other words, even the fairest test would amass differences Amongst racial groups, and gender.The review is stating that the SAT widely exaggerates these gaps- specifically amongst african Americans.

grin.gif
grin.gif

uh, yeah. language can be pretty different depending on the region. it's not just the words used, it's how they're used, the context, phrases, etc. 
if you'd go back and read what was posted, the study controls for students of equal academic aptitude. 

where did i insinuate anything? correcting false information is me insinuating? i provided the facts because a previous poster attacked something they couldn't properly present.

uh, yeah. language can be pretty different depending on the region. it's not just the words used, it's how they're used, the context, phrases, etc. 
if you'd go back and read what was posted, the study controls for students of equal academic aptitude. 

where did i insinuate anything? correcting false information is me insinuating? i provided the facts because a previous poster attacked something they couldn't properly present.
For region to be relevant in this discussion we would have to assume that white people and black/hispanic people are concentrated in different regions altogether and we obviously know that 's not the case.  Once again I ask, what does region have to do with anything?  That's not even what's being addressed in the study.

And you still haven't given a plausible explanation for what makes language or words more accessible to white people than they are for minorities, which is what you originally said.  That argument could only be relevant if segregated schools were in existence and blacks and whites were educated differently, but once again that's obviously not the case. 

See where the insinuations are coming in to play?

Only read the last couple of pages but based on some of the comments that I've read in here some of you could really benefit from reading up on these complex subjects.  I strongly suggest these books for anyone that is truly interested in developing a greater understanding of a lot of the topics being discussed in this thread:

1.  William Julius Wilson - The Declining Significance Of Race

2.  William Julius Wilson - The Truly Disadvantaged

3.  Elijah Anderson - Code Of The Street

4.  John Hagedorn - A World Of Gangs

5.  Eduardo Bonilla Silva - White Supremacy & Racism In The Post-Civil Rights Era

6.  Eduardo Bonilla Silva - Racism Without Racists

7.  Tim Wise - White Like Me

These books are not only important for white brothers and sisters to read but also for Black folks, the majority of whom experience the manifestation of the issues discussed in these books on a daily basis but (understandably) have little ability to draw larger connections between race, class, structural economic changes, cultural adaptations, etc.  Real life experience is essential but these books helped open my own eyes to how those experiences are connected within a larger framework...

For region to be relevant in this discussion we would have to assume that white people and black/hispanic people are concentrated in different regions altogether and we obviously know that 's not the case.  Once again I ask, what does region have to do with anything?  That's not even what's being addressed in the study.

And you still haven't given a plausible explanation for what makes language or words more accessible to white people than they are for minorities, which is what you originally said.  That argument could only be relevant if segregated schools were in existence and blacks and whites were educated differently, but once again that's obviously not the case. 

See where the insinuations are coming in to play?
there are definitely areas that are more dominated by certain racial groups. the study addressed the argument that the language used varies between racial groups. since the original posted quoted was incredulous about the study, i threw this idea out there. 
i'm not sure why i need to provide a plausible explanation. i'm not arguing one way or the other, i'm presenting the information. 

no, i don't. for there to be insinuations, i would need to be arguing one way or the other. correcting someone does not mean that i'm stating an opinion. 

Originally Posted by Hermosa Beach

I'm unemployed, was living in the streets and can't get a job because of priors. Where's my white privilege card at to make my life better?

The term "white privilege" is a joke and is only used by bitter losers who want to blame the white man for their self made struggles

I'm white...  Yes white people do struggle... But don't think for a second that being white isn't easier in America than any other race..

White privilege doesn't mean every white person becomes Warren Buffet, but it does mean the barriers you have are fewer.

For example look at the numerous studies done on employment.  2 identical resumes..  One a common name like "Joseph" "John" "James" etc. etc., and one named a more predominate black name "Jamal" "Kwame" etc. etc.  and the more common name gets a call back a far more disproportionate level than someone with a name more often attributed to a black person..

Getting pulled over.. In DoJ stated that Minorities 3x more likely to their car searched for drugs, http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=702

The jail statistics.
Employment numbers..
High School graduate numbers.. College graduate numbers..
Poverty numbers..
Political Representation

It goes on and on..  Sure white people (hell every person) have it bad in some way, but don't deny that there isn't a privilege to being white in America.

And don't give me, but poor white guys get discriminated on, and have it bad.. OF COURSE THEY DO. So does the poor of every other race.. What white privilege is saying does not ignore the socioeconomic disparities among white people. What white privilege is saying is that even the poor white guy, will have an easier time in America than the poor black guy..  You never heard anyone call Harlem "Real America", but the good old South across every state is often referred to as "Real America"

Originally Posted by MonStar1

dis hole thread 
30t6p3b.gif

Im with you on this one Monstar, the whole thing was a trap from the beginning too- if it shows anything, theres clearly still some good ol fashioned ignorant MFer's on this site

im still lost on why this thread was created...is OP white? what good comes from having a debate as to whether or not whites have issues in their community? what kind of question is that? there are issues in all communities, but minorities mainly blacks have always had it harder, and lets be real, that is the real point of this thread: "Who has it harder". Times are changing for the better def, but yet its still white america and you will be reminded of this every day, word to fox news, black kids getting shot, the everlasting hate of obama, etc. Only the ignorant will be blind to this.

if you are white, generally speaking your situation will always be better in this country than others. period. stop making threads saying "but wait if you look at it this way..." No. It has been historically, and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future. my mind is blown at how people refuse to accept this. its not rocket science. but threads like this make me feel like there are closet klan members lurking on here, cuz these lames come out of the woodwork on these pointless threads and debate about bullsht. might as well grave dig all the other race threads cuz this *#%% gets debated every time.

if you don't like blacks or any other minorities, put it in your sig so the world can know. this way the people who keep it real on the site will just keep it moving with a
30t6p3b.gif
and a
grin.gif
and not get trapped in another thread.

lock it up.

Back
Top Bottom