It ain't all gravy in Istanbul, Turkey right now

http://defnesumanblogs.com/2013/06/01/what-is-happenning-in-istanbul/

To my friends who live outside of Turkey:

I am writing to let you know what is going on in Istanbul for the last five days. I personally have to write this because most of the media sources are shut down by the government and the word of mouth and the internet are the only ways left for us to explain ourselves and call for help and support.

Four days ago a group of people most of whom did not belong to any specific organization or ideology got together in Istanbul’s Gezi Park. Among them there were many of my friends and students. Their reason was simple: To prevent and protest the upcoming demolishing of the park for the sake of building yet another shopping mall at very center of the city. There are numerous shopping malls in Istanbul, at least one in every neighborhood! The tearing down of the trees was supposed to begin early Thursday morning. People went to the park with their blankets, books and children. They put their tents down and spent the night under the trees. Early in the morning when the bulldozers started to pull the hundred-year-old trees out of the ground, they stood up against them to stop the operation.

They did nothing other than standing in front of the machines.

No newspaper, no television channel was there to report the protest. It was a complete media black out.

But the police arrived with water cannon vehicles and pepper spray. They chased the crowds out of the park.

In the evening the number of protesters multiplied. So did the number of police forces around the park. Meanwhile local government of Istanbul shut down all the ways leading up to Taksim square where the Gezi Park is located. The metro was shut down, ferries were cancelled, roads were blocked.

Yet more and more people made their way up to the center of the city by walking.

They came from all around Istanbul. They came from all different backgrounds, different ideologies, different religions. They all gathered to prevent the demolition of something bigger than the park:

The right to live as honorable citizens of this country.

They gathered and marched. Police chased them with pepper spray and tear gas and drove their tanks over people who offered the police food in return. Two young people were run over by the panzers and were killed. Another young woman, a friend of mine, was hit in the head by one of the incoming tear gas canisters. The police were shooting them straight into the crowd. After a three hour operation she is still in Intensive Care Unit and in very critical condition. As I write this we don’t know if she is going to make it. This blog is dedicated to her.

These people are my friends. They are my students, my relatives. They have no «hidden agenda» as the state likes to say. Their agenda is out there. It is very clear. The whole country is being sold to corporations by the government, for the construction of malls, luxury condominiums, freeways, dams and nuclear plants. The government is looking for (and creating when necessary) any excuse to attack Syria against its people’s will.

On top of all that, the government control over its people’s personal lives has become unbearable as of late. The state, under its conservative agenda passed many laws and regulations concerning abortion, cesarean birth, sale and use of alcohol and even the color of lipstick worn by the airline stewardesses.

People who are marching to the center of Istanbul are demanding their right to live freely and receive justice, protection and respect from the State. They demand to be involved in the decision-making processes about the city they live in.

What they have received instead is excessive force and enormous amounts of tear gas shot straight into their faces. Three people lost their eyes.

Yet they still march. Hundred of thousands join them. Couple of more thousand passed the Bosporus Bridge on foot to support the people of Taksim.

No newspaper or TV channel was there to report the events. They were busy with broadcasting news about Miss Turkey and “the strangest cat of the world”.

Police kept chasing people and spraying them with pepper spray to an extent that stray dogs and cats were poisoned and died by it.

Schools, hospitals and even 5 star hotels around Taksim Square opened their doors to the injured. Doctors filled the classrooms and hotel rooms to provide first aid. Some police officers refused to spray innocent people with tear gas and quit their jobs. Around the square they placed jammers to prevent internet connection and 3g networks were blocked. Residents and businesses in the area provided free wireless network for the people on the streets. Restaurants offered food and water for free.

People in Ankara and İzmir gathered on the streets to support the resistance in Istanbul.

Mainstream media kept showing Miss Turkey and “the strangest cat of the world”.

It's amazing to see so many people in this country banding together to continue their protests despite brutal, violent government opposition.

Crazy.  I hope the government in Turkey gives in before another uprising starts.      It's great to see people from different backgrounds come together who are sick of having their freedoms taken away.   

Here's an album with a ******** of pictures.

Crazy stuff going on.

wow
mean.gif
   I hope this doesn't turn into another Syria. Turkey is in the Untied Nations too.   They better get cut off if they keep this up.  The entire region over there is in turmoil.     As much problems that we have in our own country we are blessed to be living in the US.

Last edited:
I don't know about what how the media is portraying this in the states, but its getting non stop coverage here in the Middle East. CNN is live there as I speak. (its 12:30 pm here

Also I don't know what people are saying about it in the states, but Turkey is not a place where their is gonna be a uprising. Its not a regime (I hate that word and how the media throws it around).

The economy is doing very well despite the rest of Europe, the country is seen as a model to east west relations in terms with how Islam and the west can coexist and its quite secular there. Nightclubs, strong youth culture. The protest is over the industrialization/ commercialization of the country. They were gonna tear down a park to build a mall and the protest blew up when the police clashed with protesters. Its far from being a revolution. I say that with people I know there right now and being in the region, its crazy how information is passed back to the west and just be aware of what is being presented to you.

Turkey is not a regime in anyway shape or form like Libya or Syria.

Crazy. I hope the government in Turkey gives in before another uprising starts. It's great to see people from different backgrounds come together who are sick of having their freedoms taken away.

I'm say a few things about the uprisings. The revolutions in Egypt, Tunisa, Libya, Yemen were powered by the people. The Syrian was not. I really want to go deeper on this, but as a Muslim living in the Middle East, you don't understand how things are mis represent in the West.

The irony with Erdogan....
Im surprised tho b/c turkey is one of the most stable countries in the region but i guess all you need now is an economically suppressed population, twitter, and a catalyst.

Im surprised tho b/c turkey is one of the most stable countries in the region but i guess all you need now is an economically suppressed population, twitter, and a catalyst.

But their economy has been doing well compared to the rest of Europe. Also please people understand that the difference in the revolutions in the Rest of the Middle East was it spread across the whole country, this is just The capital and two other major cities, with mostly youth. i don't see any different then we our youth in the states protest.

I just hate how the media puts this spin like the Middle East is just this hotbed of oppression.

I don't know about what how the media is portraying this in the states, but its getting non stop coverage here in the Middle East. CNN is live there as I speak. (its 12:30 pm here

Also I don't know what people are saying about it in the states, but Turkey is not a place where their is gonna be a uprising. Its not a regime (I hate that word and how the media throws it around).

The economy is doing very well despite the rest of Europe, the country is seen as a model to east west relations in terms with how Islam and the west can coexist and its quite secular there. Nightclubs, strong youth culture. The protest is over the industrialization/ commercialization of the country. They were gonna tear down a park to build a mall and the protest blew up when the police clashed with protesters. Its far from being a revolution. I say that with people I know there right now and being in the region, its crazy how information is passed back to the west and just be aware of what is being presented to you.

Turkey is not a regime in anyway shape or form like Libya or Syria.
I'm say a few things about the uprisings. The revolutions in Egypt, Tunisa, Libya, Yemen were powered by the people. The Syrian was not. I really want to go deeper on this, but as a Muslim living in the Middle East, you don't understand how things are mis represent in the West.
What would you say is going in Turkey if it's not a revolution? From my understanding, it didn't begin as a uprising, but with the police brutality going on, it's starting to turn into something bigger.

But their economy has been doing well compared to the rest of Europe. Also please people understand that the difference in the revolutions in the Rest of the Middle East was it spread across the whole country, this is just The capital and two other major cities, with mostly youth. i don't see any different then we our youth in the states protest.

I just hate how the media puts this spin like the Middle East is just this hotbed of oppression.

which is why i found it surprising because it is a relatively prosperous national right now. However, I think youth unemployment is a problem in almost every country and the semester just ended - its gonna be a hot summer. Oh and Erdogan is a western puppet and his whole stance on Syria is not too popular with a lot of people.

What would you say is going in Turkey if it's not a revolution? From my understanding, it didn't begin as a uprising, but with the police brutality going on, it's starting to turn into something bigger.

Those other uprising were pent up anger toward DECADES of oppression. The police cracking down is a far cry from the terror, Ghadafi or Assad has inflicted on their people. Again look at how the country is and its people. Your talking about a place as alot like the US in terms of peoples quality of life. Their isn't this deep resentment towards the government, hell they vote them in.

which is why i found it surprising because it is a relatively prosperous national right now. However, I think youth unemployment is a problem in almost every country and the semester just ended - its gonna be a hot summer. Oh and Erdogan is a western puppet and his whole stance on Syria is not too popular with a lot of people.

True, but to those who don't know Turkey is a democracy that votes in their leaders. His time will come in 2015

True, but to those who don't know Turkey is a democracy that votes in their leaders. His time will come in 2015
so was Iran, at one point.

so was Iran, at one point.

Um the US dismantled the democracy in Iran, then they had to put in the Pupper Shah who was overthrown in the 79 revolution lol

People really have no idea what Iran is like. Look honestly alot of people could look at what I write and think I'm anti american, far from it I'm born american, but through my global travels (Somalia, Kenya, Saudi Arabia, Rwanda, Italy, Uk, Oman, UAE) global politics, coups, revolutions are back by one group or another. Very few a truly of the people (Egypt, Libya). This will die down in a few weeks.

Also do not be surprised when Assad holds elections next year and steps down without being touched. Also don't be surprised when Syria and Egypt and alot of the other fallen states produced more terrorist than seen over the last decade.

Riot Police Retake Istanbul's Taksim Square

s_t03_RTX10JFV.jpg

Protesters run from a police water cannon during clashes in Istanbul's Taksim Square, on June 11, 2013. Riot police fired tear gas and water cannon at hundreds of protesters armed with rocks and fireworks on Tuesday as they tried to take back control of a central Istanbul square at the heart of fierce anti-government demonstrations.

s_t01_55542966.jpg

A protester tries to remain standing as police use a water cannon during clashes at Taksim Square in Istanbul, Turkey, on June 11, 2013. Hundreds of police in riot gear forced their way through barricades in the square early Tuesday, pushing many of the protesters who had occupied the square for more than a week into a nearby park.

s_t05_70324064.jpg

Riot police clash with a crowd during a demonstration near Taksim Square on June 11, 2013.

s_t11_RTX10JKV.jpg

A protester catches fire after he tried to throw a petrol bomb at riot police in Taksim Square, on June 11, 2013.

s_t18_RTX10JO2.jpg

The Greek Orthodox Church of Hagia Triada, framed by a burning barricade during clashes in Istanbul's Taksim Square, on June 11, 2013.

s_t26_RTX10JM8.jpg

A petrol bomb explodes in front of riot policemen in Taksim Square in Istanbul, on June 11, 2013.

s_t27_70323128.jpg

Demonstrators wearing gas masks take cover during clashes between riot police and demonstrators in Taksim Square, on June 11, 2013.

s_t28_11453666.jpg

Protesters carry another affected by tear gas during clashes in Taksim Square, on June 11, 2013.

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/turkey061113/s_t31_70320349.jpg/img]
A demonstrator's clothes catch fire during clashes with riot police in Taksim Square, on June 11, 2013.

[img]http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/turkey061113/s_t35_RTX10JNW.jpg
Protesters react after an explosion on a barricade during clashes in Taksim Square, on June 11, 2013.

s_t37_67865768.jpg

A protester places himself under the wheel of a police crowd control vehicle as others try to pull out him during a police operation to evacuate Taksim Square, on June 11, 2013.

s_t36_79395224.jpg

A police officer fires rubber bullets at protesters who takes cover behind a metal barrier, with graffiti that reads "GTA V Istanbul City", during clashes in Taksim Square, on June 11, 2013.

Link to more photos: http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/06/riot-police-retake-istanbuls-taksim-square/100532/

Crazy whats going on over there.

so is nobody going to point out the solid execution OP had in his title
i see what you did there brah

"The whole country is being sold to corporations by the government, for the construction of malls, luxury condominiums, freeways, dams and nuclear plants. The government is looking for (and creating when necessary) any excuse to attack Syria anybody who disagrees with its' policies against its people’s will."

"On top of all that, the government control over its people’s personal lives has become unbearable as of late."

"Mainstream media kept showing Miss Turkey the celebrity goings-on of the week and “the strangest cat of the world” meaningless local interest stories.

...like looking in a slightly exaggerated funhouse mirror.

Last edited:
...like looking in a slightly exaggerated funhouse mirror.

Only a matter of TIME before these violent protests arrive here Stateside. Just look at the approval ratings of our Govt and with all the scandals involving the NSA spying, IRS targeting, Benghazi incompetence, and killing of Americans without due process. Our country is a ticking time bomb! But in the meantime.. NBA Finals (Corporations) are playing brain washing you tonight! :nerd:

Last edited:
Only a matter of TIME before these violent protests arrive here Stateside. Just look at the approval ratings of our Govt and with all the scandals involving the NSA spying, IRS targeting, Benghazi incompetence, and killing of Americans without due process. Our country is a ticking time bomb! But in the meantime.. NBA Finals (Corporations) are playing brain washing you tonight! :nerd:

If these protest ever arrive state side, the world will witness a level of governmental brutality never seen before. The government's response would be leaps and bounds worst than any responses witnessed in the history of man.

Last edited:
If these protest ever arrive state side, the world will witness a level of governmental brutality never seen before. The government's response would be leaps and bounds worst than any responses witnessed in the history of man.
sadly it will never happens because americans are a bunch of brainwashed idiots

they probably dont fluoridate the water in turkey or eat GM soy and corn

EDIT,

Sorry, the picture wont come out. Theres a picture of a girl in a red shirt that has injury to her head due to a tear gas hitting her.

Last edited:
sadly it will never happens because americans are a bunch of brainwashed idiots

they probably dont fluoridate the water in turkey or eat GM soy and corn
Call me what you want but I like my "freedom".

You talk tough but I'm sure you'll be another brainwashed idiot if it happened here.

99%'s were causing too much trouble and look how fast media outlets were blacked out to purge the protestors.

This is the U.S.A, where big brother rules supreme.

Back
Top Bottom