ITT: Everything Electro/Dubstep/House/Trance Music

Ok, I’m going to make this easy for the people who won’t take five minutes to read this entire piece, and want something sensational and negative to walk away with. Here’s your headline:

Kaskade totally upset by non-win on Top 100 DJ Poll! Blasts DJ Mag in tumblr blog!! Having meltdown!!! Increasing exclamation point usage in increments of one per sentence!!!!

For the rest of you who can hang for a second, there’s something you should know.
DJ Mag is releasing their Top 100 DJ results today. This lights up my Twitter feed and Facebook page, with affirmations that I’ve been voted for, and hope for a solid placement.

@Devin Lezama
Can’t wait to see your spot on the DJ mag top 100 tomorrow. Should I get the champagne and confetti ready? Dude you’ve worked so hard this year and it really shows :wink:

Hey Devin, thanks. Seriously.
But I really need everyone to understand this: I do not care.

@kaskade who cares about this djMag#100 your the the #1 MayorMcmaster just saying.
— GaGaLandia (@kylu90026) October 19, 2012

That’s not to say I’m disconnected from my audience. In fact, I would say my connection with the people who enjoy what I do is important, in the extreme. This past summer when I was able to sell out the the Staples Center, it was a message to me. Not that my fans had some time to log onto a site and press a button, but that my fans would support me by showing up. They support me by listening, by buying tracks, by dancing at a show, and by taking in the art that I am creating. That is gratifying. Conversely, I am largely unmoved by the graphic of a thumbs up on a computer screen next to a number, or a dodgy poll that has nothing to do with actual music.

RT @brunskii: My connection to @kaskade’s music is on anotha level
— Mike Oxlong (@adelynsays) October 19, 2012

I’m feeling that.

I’m not saying the things that I crave are better, worse, or the same as other artists. Awards and accolades are lovely. Being reviewed positively by peers and fans is awesome. And if placing in the Top 10 of a popularity contest/marketing bonanza quenches your thirst then drink it up.
While I do appreciate a person taking their time to vote for me, it’s ok if you’d rather spend your time doing something else. This type of competition, poll, award whatever is not on my radar. I don’t have the bandwidth to campaign for an event that mainly exists as a stunt for Facebook and website page views. And while the integrity of the voting process has never actually been solid, the bigger and somewhat embarrassing question is, does EDM actually need a Prom King or Homecoming Queen? I didn’t jockey for the title in High School, and I’m not doing it now.

Last edited:
It's not a talent contest, it's a popularity contest. Although I will say that Armin and Tiesto do deserve to bo at the top. They both still cue up tracks on CDJ's and actually beatmatch. They also change up their sets based on the crowd.

Skrillex on the other hand just learned to beatmatch and how to use CDJs. He used to just use Ableton and launched beat-gridded synced tracks in order.

^ I got you
laugh.gif

Excited to see Armin and Sander at Freaknight next Friday

You need to start hitting up Foundation. They've had a sick lineup so far.

As for the DJ Mag list, it's just a popularity contest, although I am kind of curious as to Armin being back at #1. I think a lot of people were turned off by Guetta (who is a great DJ when he wants to be) getting #1 last year.

You need to start hitting up Foundation. They've had a sick lineup so far.
As for the DJ Mag list, it's just a popularity contest, although I am kind of curious as to Armin being back at #1. I think a lot of people were turned off by Guetta (who is a great DJ when he wants to be) getting #1 last year.

yeah, I had a friend tell me to check out foundation since they had tritonal recently and PvD is supposed to be there Halloween Night. Are you hitting up Freaknight?

yeah, I had a friend tell me to check out foundation since they had tritonal recently and PvD is supposed to be there Halloween Night. Are you hitting up Freaknight?

I'm skipping Freaknight. Multiple b-day parties that night for me. I'm cool with it though. I'm not a fan of Wamu. And yeah, PvD will be there on Halloween. I'm skipping that too because Dirty South is the next night.

lol i swear edm fans are the biggest whiners ever. they are never pleased with anything. people are quick to bash skrillex and guetta for senseless reasons...

Guetta used to be dope I've seen him a few times, last time I saw him his controller wasn't even on and it was a pre-made mix. Skrillex puts together great live sets but he doesn't do that much as a dj. I still rock with Skrillex even though it's cool to hate him now but I've been turned off Guetta for awhile.

Anyone going to Hard Haunted Mansion in Oakland?

Guetta used to be dope I've seen him a few times, last time I saw him his controller wasn't even on and it was a pre-made mix. Skrillex puts together great live sets but he doesn't do that much as a dj. I still rock with Skrillex even though it's cool to hate him now but I've been turned off Guetta for awhile.
Anyone going to Hard Haunted Mansion in Oakland?

plenty of people's fav "dj's" play pre recorded sets these days, but i guess my point is that its just stupid to choose guetta as a scapegoat just because he was voted #1 last year.

ill be at escape from wonderland :smokin

Last edited:
The fact that plenty of people's fave dj's play pre-recorded sets says a lot about the state of the scene right now.

Calvin Harris, R3hab, and Benassi :pimp:

Halloween raves are awesome, the females. :pimp:

Btw, can someone help me ID a song real quick. I think it's Ellie Goulding singing, "must be the reason why ..."

That's all I remember.

Last edited:

Yup, glad I skipped Freaknight lol. Heard getting in was a complete disaster. I blame the venue though more than the promoter though. Wamu crowd control sucks.

Yup, glad I skipped Freaknight lol. Heard getting in was a complete disaster. I blame the venue though more than the promoter though. Wamu crowd control sucks.

Yeah, I had VIP tickets and my friends had GA, took them about half an hour or so to get in. Stayed till about an hour into Armin's set, good stuff. They need to cut down on the amount of tickets they put out though..

The fact that plenty of people's fave dj's play pre-recorded sets says a lot about the state of the scene right now.

Pretty much. The scene sucks *** right now and that's because it's hit mainstream. Not only is the scene saturated, but most of it is generic *** electronic music that's getting pumped out of an assembly line. Not only that but the new crowds at all these events that are there just to party and aren't there for the music kills the scene. I can't wait until it dies down.

Pretty much. The scene sucks *** right now and that's because it's hit mainstream. Not only is the scene saturated, but most of it is generic *** electronic music that's getting pumped out of an assembly line. Not only that but the new crowds at all these events that are there just to party and aren't there for the music kills the scene. I can't wait until it dies down.

Crowds are so wack nowadays. The Bay isn't too bad since there's a good amount of og ravers left, but after EDC last year I could kinda tell it was about to get bro'd the **** out. The music is getting really popular in the frat/sorority scene too from what I've seen.

if you support the scene then support it.

i've been into it for a few years, would hardly call myself an OG but you hipster EDM goers are the worst.

if the music sucks don't listen to it. there are countless of people out here show after show, festival after festival having the time of their lives, loving each other without judging, and enjoying the music

Btw, can someone help me ID a song real quick. I think it's Ellie Goulding singing, "must be the reason why ..."
That's all I remember.

off the top of my head that comes from zedd... maybe fall into the sky?? im not sure he has two joints with ellie goulding on his new album... which is ******g amazing btw.

let me actually post some bangers.

Last edited:
I hope you're not calling me a hipster EDM goer :lol:

Even if you've been in the scene for just a couple year can you not tell there's been a decrease in the quality of music that's been getting played at raves and just overall the crowd? That's all we were talking about. People just get so defensive if you don't like something they do. I got into this music back when The Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Green Velvet, Carl Cox and Plastikman were considered top tier headliners amongst the raver crowd. Obviously they still play shows but the sound of what's popular has changed drastically, I grew to love electro house and all the new **** that has come along but there is a massive watering down of what's popular but that comes when something gets popular.

Zedd album was hit or miss for me, I can't stand songs that have the sound that songs like Spectrum do and he had too many of those for my liking but it seems like a good album for his fans. The new Boys Noize album is AWESOME for the most part if any of you have yet to hear it. He's been my fave dj for the past few years.

Last edited:
if you support the scene then support it.

i've been into it for a few years, would hardly call myself an OG but you hipster EDM goers are the worst.

if the music sucks don't listen to it. there are countless of people out here show after show, festival after festival having the time of their lives, loving each other without judging, and enjoying the music

That's all thats needed to be said for you..

That's all I remember.

off the top of my head that comes from zedd... maybe fall into the sky?? im not sure he has two joints with ellie goulding on his new album... which is ******g amazing btw.

THANK YOU.

I have the album too :lol:

Back
Top Bottom