I've got a newfound respect for those who work in restaurant kitchens.....

I just finished reading this:

anthonybourdain.jpg

As a patron, you never really care/realize what's going on in the kitchen as long as your food comes out on time and tastes good.  After reading Kitchen Confidential, I'm blown away.  I never realized how much of a high-stress environment working in a kitchen is.  Everything from fights, cursing each other out, lying, stealing, etc etc....I'm convinced that you have to be wired differently and LOVE to prepare/be around food if you're ever going to set foot in a busy kitchen to work.  If you're a fan of Anthony Bourdain, this book is a must-read. 

The experiences you encounter in a busy restaurant kitchen will stick with you forever. Crazy !%@$ goes on back there.

.I'm convinced that you have to be wired differently and LOVE to prepare/be around food if you're ever going to set foot in a busy kitchen to work.
This couldn't be more true... If you don't love it you're going to HATE your job and it'll affect your life.

Ive been through Culinary school as a part of my Hotel/Restaurant Management Assoc. degree program and being in a kitchen serving hundreds of people a night is really not my thing.

Ive also Asst. Managed a restaurant at Saratoga Race track that seats 400 people (500-600 on big race days) and i spent a LOT of time in the kitchen making sure my servers were getting what they needed.

Tempers get high when theres 20+ servers waiting in a line for 5-6 dinners EACH that they need to bring to tables.

I gotta pick up that book though, Bourdain is 
pimp.gif

I started watching the TV show based on this book (shout-out to HULU).

Its an entertaining show and definitely made me think about picking up this book. I think im gonna go ahead and do it.

Good lookin out NT.

You should watch the TV show, Kitchen Confidential. It's from his brother, I think, and based on Anthony's life. It's only one season, but they have it on hulu.com

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

excerpts?
Bourdain chronicles the ins/outs that he's experienced in working in various kitchens from Massachusetts to New York City.  He's totally unfiltered, and has a real eloquent way of describing some of the things he's seen.  He was a big time drug abuser, but immensely talented.  He started from the bottom and worked his way up.  Throughout the book you're introduced to a variety of characters he's both worked for and worked with.  It's entirely too much for me to summarize, but he's a straight-shooter and doesn't sugarcoat anything.  He's not going to paint a picture of working in this industry to where you'll put the book down, have an epiphany, and all of a sudden have the urge to work in a restaurant kitchen.  After finishing the book, (and I'll put this in all caps
laugh.gif
) YOU'LL HAVE NO DESIRE TO WORK IN THE FOOD INDUSTRY.  However, you'll have a respect for the people who do.  Like I said before, you have to be wired totally differently to seek a career in this field.  The days are insanely long, there is little-to-no downtime, and it's about as high-stress of an environment that you can find.  Again...much respect to those who do make a living working in a kitchen. 

Originally Posted by Frank Mucus

You should watch the TV show, Kitchen Confidential. It's from his brother, I think, and based on Anthony's life. It's only one season, but they have it on hulu.com
pretty decent show i watched it a few months ago.

Family owned a restaurant for 19 years.. I worked in it most of my life... The work experience is not measurable.

Yeah, definitely not for me. Sweaty kitchen all day with fatties barking for food? Pass.

im 19 and work in a kitchen cooking it is pretty high stress when we were getting trained for the opening week and had to make all the food, one guy just straight WALKED OUT of the kitchen in the middle of it all, dude couldnt take the stress. you get used to it after a while and since its the only kind of arena ive been in job wise im quite used to it and dont get too stressed about it all.

Back
Top Bottom