J. Cole is insanely boring

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

Originally Posted by jeyel

im just wondering why things like "buzz" & whether or not " ____ is gonna have a mainstream single" is always brought up. how does it affect casual fans like all of us? im just looking forward to the album; i could care less how many spins its getting.

mainstream artists are usually more polished than underground artists... thats y they make it in mainstream... its that variable "it" factor thay alot of artists dont have...

does not answer the question tho.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

Originally Posted by jeyel

im just wondering why things like "buzz" & whether or not " ____ is gonna have a mainstream single" is always brought up. how does it affect casual fans like all of us? im just looking forward to the album; i could care less how many spins its getting.

mainstream artists are usually more polished than underground artists... thats y they make it in mainstream... its that variable "it" factor thay alot of artists dont have...

does not answer the question tho.
it does tho... if u cant come up wit a single u obviously arent that good... im not into them one dimensional borderline backpack artists... so if u cant make it in mainstream i wont *%%! wit u...

Originally Posted by rocyaice

Originally Posted by MoneyMike703

Originally Posted by Sid Lugar

Originally Posted by MoneyMike703

another reason why discussing music here is a waste of time
If everyone agreed about the same thing then there would be no reason to discuss music
eyes.gif
idc, some of these dudes are down with gucci & waka flocka, but there saying j.cole is boring, REALLY?
indifferent.gif
yeah okay
But Wacka and Gucci are more entertaining than J.Cole. I don't understand why you dudes so hurt. The popular opinion in this thread is that J.Cole is nice. Every one agrees on that front. He doesn't lack talent. You guys are getting confused at what the OP was getting it. We're speaking strictly on his song making ability and his songs lack energy. I can appreciate dude and who he is. I relate more to J.Cole than Gucci Mane. But Gucci is more entertaining at this point of their careers.And I know you dudes go to move when you don't have anything to back your opinion up is "You're a hater" but that's not me. I F with J.Coles music. I'm gonna check his album out. But his songs need more energy in them. I need to feel what dude is saying. I sort of feel like he's talking to me rather than AT me.
i dont see how wacka and gucci are more entertaining than anybody, personally i think there whole "gimmick" is making hip hop more dumber

Originally Posted by wildout4

hooks i can agree on but the kid can flow. and production is easy to change.

he can flow... like on beat and n $%$#... theres just no energy in it...

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

I chopped it up with J. a couple months ago and we both agreed that he's about 15 years too late. He is what Nas was back when he dropped Illmatic. Rap was about that gritty #%$% back then so Nas slid in perfectly and cemented his spot. Unfortunately, J. Cole's brand of music has no real lane in rap right now so he's getting an unfair shake.

Dudes like him and Jay Electronica will never have mainstream appeal but music from them is needed, regardless, and will always have a fanbase to support them.
Exactly and when I say this dudes think i'm bugging.

I didn't say I wasn't a fan of his either...ya'll read what ya'll want to...smh

Originally Posted by BorisTheBulletDodger

okay. boring is probably not the right word. monotous is much better.

again. i am not denying his talent. i believe that he is a talented rapper. but MOST of his music is really really repetitive.

with drake i know im going to get some switches in flow a lil singing some dope lines.

with cole i just feel like he is missing something. that "it" factorthat draws me to guys like lupe,gza or any other "lyrical" rappers asyou guys say. whatever "IT" is im sorry but J. doesnt have it. maybe hewill prove many of us wrong on his album

again i do not wish anything malicious on his career, im just tellingyou guys how i feel. too many people get caught up in the fact thatthey want him to be what they wanted drake to be. get off your highhorses
laugh.gif
he isnt the "anti drake" so stop making it out that way. he isnt hiphops "saviour" their never will be A saviour. it will be a generationof artists to change things not one guy

And YOU understand just whats going on.

This is why I hate this forum. _'s take *!#* to the absolute EXTREME.

You give constructive, legit criticism about someone and _'s wanna take that, twist it up, and toss it left field.

Why the +#!* are _'s in here on some "oh, if you find him boring your favorite artist must be Gucci, Wakka, etc.".

Shut the +#!* up. Nobody EVER said that.

All I'm saying is...I like the dude. I was bumping Warm Up all day Wednesday. I really like his vision and the direction he's trying to move towards. I love what he's saying because I can identify with pretty much all of it. We're practically the same person in many aspects and if an artist makes you feel that through his music...he's doing something right.

HOWEVER...that +@*!$ is NOT perfect. So all of you attacking people for criticizing him can go play in traffic. I'm not quite sure I'd use the word "boring" per say...but he lacks that "WOW" factor on a consistent basis. I can't honestly say I've heard a J.Cole song/verse and went..."I can't believe what I just heard...rewind that *!#*". He's not really going to give you alot of sick punches/meta's on a regular basis. While what he's saying is indeed real life *!#*...it's nothing overly complex to the point you're actually sitting there thinking about the *!#* over and over again.

If J.Cole was a basketball player...I'd say he was Brandon Roy. He does ALOT of things well...but not ONE thing great (IMO). Fight it all you want, but he indeed lacks a SINGLE identifiable talent that would suggest longevity. Not really buying the Nas comparisons either. From Day One, Nas embodied that gritty New York sound and it evolved into something much greater. His bars are so layered with tons of *!#*...ignoring careers...it's a sin to even put his name with most rappers period...let alone J.Cole. IMO...a young NAS is lightyears ahead of J.Cole lyrically.

Not buying the whole "well you're just saying he's boring because he doesn't have a gimmick" *!#* either. What gimmick does Lupe have? He's just SUPER ridiculous with the bars at the end of the day. Conceptually and musically he's just that much more advanced than most. THAT'S what I believe J.Cole has to get to in order to sustain longevity and be mentioned as one of the best one day.

I'm a bit miffed at how high he's held in so many's regard. You're lying to yourself if you say that the Jay co-sign and the fact that he's looked at as the "Yin" to Drake's "Yang" doesn't accelerate your interest in him. Cause it's a few young dudes out here in the game that I feel like DON'T get as much attention and they're just as nice if not nicer (Blu for starters). I hope Cole blows for the sake of it, but ya'll lying to yourselves if you don't see what the OP and Time are saying in this thread.

Originally Posted by FlatbushFiyah23

Originally Posted by IKnowRap

I rocks with J. Cole and props to ery1 backing him up on the not being boring tip

the thing is tho J. Cole has to give us the answer to this question: What does J. Cole rap about????

Ive got all his material and I honestly cudnt give you a concrete answer...... he just needs a DEFINED PLATFORM thats all, we all know what he is not, but we dont know what he is

u try explaining to one of ur boys in short what he is about and u just will find yaself saying "man he raw, man he can spit...just listen to him just listen" or "he is kinda a Nas type cat ya know..."

ppl dont have the patience to listen to a whole mixtape and get a good feel for who he is....and if u just pointing out certain songs all they will get is that he can rap, HE HAS TO CHANGE THIS.
See I can rock with you critiquing and giving examples of your feelings and I respect that rather than just saying dude is "boring" with no basis or explanation like some have done in this thread.

However, to answer your question about what J. Cole is or raps about I would say he raps about his life and his experiences like most other rappers.  Ie. making it out of Fayetville, college experience, bragging about his lyrical superiority,while also talking about the ills of the world on tracks like Lights, Please, World is Empty or Losing My Balance. IMO he is a very versatile rapper that touches many subjects which is a strength for any artists. 

I am not saying that you are saying this but I don't think he needs to be defined by one idea or subject matter.  He should just simple be viewed as a good or bad artist.
I didnt mean it that literal but u See thats just it...we know what he raps about cuz we are his fans and have gone through his material song for song n like u just did...we put all that stuff together and know whats his deal but we should just be able to sum up where he stands in a simpler way

i mean hes not a backpacker, drug dealer, pimp, thug, playboy, etc. etc....hes just everything u just described...i feel like he needs something, not necessarily a label but that one thing to say boooom...thats J. Cole in a nutshell....n thats strictly to draw in a diff type of crowd "the pop audience"

I mean lupe isnt defined by one subject matter but he is a lyricist and thats a fitting title....

for as us that is just looking for real hip hop hes in a good space tho
I totally hear what you are saying and good points for sure.

But to be honest I seriously don't care if he draws in the pop audience although I to agree from a labels perspective that is the challenge for him right now.  Currently I feel like he makes good music and just hopes that he continues to do so. You seem to be a fan but yet fair and objective but do you honestly care if he draws in the pop crowd? Just curious.
Nahh I really dont care if he draws in the Pop crowd, but I like dudes music alot and I want him to be heard by as many ppl as possible ya know. its ppl that will prolly never give the dude a shot based on a wrong label or just not knowing anything and not being drawn in.

long as he delivers great music to his fans that care thats the bottom line tho

Originally Posted by wildout4

whats boring about him? delivery, content, production?

delivery, production, and hooks...
His delivery is boring?  Dude has one of the hungriest and ear catching deliveries.  The #@++ is _'s tommbout?!

People get way to serious over this stuff. I am a huge music fan and J.Cole is good. Thats it....he is good.

Like every artist has songs you feel and don't. Music is completely subjective

The Warmup - Songs i love
Can I Live
Lights Please
Dollar and a Dream II
Hold it Down
Last Call
Losing your balance (personal fav)

These all show that he has potential to be good. Yes some songs are boring but everyone has boring songs So what. Its the good songs that people should be judged on. You're gonna tell me hearing Gucci and Wakka say BINGO BINGO BINGO 1000000 times is not boring?

To each his own. But J. Cole is very talented time will tell if he will drop something significant

He's average at best, there's nothing particularly special about the guy. He has some decent tracks, but I really don't see him coming out with a mainstream hit on his own....or even seeing him drop a retail album with Roc Nation. He just doesn't have that "it" factor, at least not yet. For now, he'll probably just lend his voice on choruses or have a guest verse here and there on other people's albums.

There is no situation where I would want to listen to him. He's lyrical, but he's nowhere close to Nas or Lupe(and a lot of other people), so I'm not gonna listen to him if I'm trying to hear lyrics. He definitely doesn't make good SONGS. He's completely average, but that's basically the next generation in a nutshell.

I rocks with J. Cole and props to ery1 backing him up on the not being boring tip

the thing is tho J. Cole has to give us the answer to this question: What does J. Cole rap about????

Ive got all his material and I honestly cudnt give you a concrete answer...... he just needs a DEFINED PLATFORM thats all, we all know what he is not, but we dont know what he is

u try explaining to one of ur boys in short what he is about and u just will find yaself saying "man he raw, man he can spit...just listen to him just listen" or "he is kinda a Nas type cat ya know..."

ppl dont have the patience to listen to a whole mixtape and get a good feel for who he is....and if u just pointing out certain songs all they will get is that he can rap, HE HAS TO CHANGE THIS.
See I can rock with you critiquing and giving examples of your feelings and I respect that rather than just saying dude is "boring" with no basis or explanation like some have done in this thread.

However, to answer your question about what J. Cole is or raps about I would say he raps about his life and his experiences like most other rappers.  Ie. making it out of Fayetville, college experience, bragging about his lyrical superiority,while also talking about the ills of the world on tracks like Lights, Please, World is Empty or Losing My Balance. IMO he is a very versatile rapper that touches many subjects which is a strength for any artists. 

I am not saying that you are saying this but I don't think he needs to be defined by one idea or subject matter.  He should just simple be viewed as a good or bad artist.
I didnt mean it that literal but u See thats just it...we know what he raps about cuz we are his fans and have gone through his material song for song n like u just did...we put all that stuff together and know whats his deal but we should just be able to sum up where he stands in a simpler way

i mean hes not a backpacker, drug dealer, pimp, thug, playboy, etc. etc....hes just everything u just described...i feel like he needs something, not necessarily a label but that one thing to say boooom...thats J. Cole in a nutshell....n thats strictly to draw in a diff type of crowd "the pop audience"

I mean lupe isnt defined by one subject matter but he is a lyricist and thats a fitting title....

for as us that is just looking for real hip hop hes in a good space tho
I totally hear what you are saying and good points for sure.

But to be honest I seriously don't care if he draws in the pop audience although I to agree from a labels perspective that is the challenge for him right now.  Currently I feel like he makes good music and just hopes that he continues to do so. You seem to be a fan but yet fair and objective but do you honestly care if he draws in the pop crowd? Just curious.
Nahh I really dont care if he draws in the Pop crowd, but I like dudes music alot and I want him to be heard by as many ppl as possible ya know. its ppl that will prolly never give the dude a shot based on a wrong label or just not knowing anything and not being drawn in.

long as he delivers great music to his fans that care thats the bottom line tho
Yeah I hear you on that and I agree.

The OP and others in this thread have stated his delivery, flow, production etc is boring .  Which is laughable because one thing I like about Cole is his energy in his delivery.  This has nothing to do with going "against popular opinion " in this thread it has to do with judging good music.  And some on here judge music by what THEY EXPECT TO HEAR not judging it off what they hear and if its actually good.  Ridiculous expectations for a certain sound lead to ridiculous commentary and threads like this one within this forum.

Back
Top Bottom