J. Crew Ludlow Suits.... UPDATE. NEED SOME GUIDANCE.

burymeag

Banned
Are they worth the price? I been hearing great reviews about them and how J Crew really stepped it up but I want some NT'ers review on it too.

Anyone own one? I dont have a suit and I plan on investing in one nice one. If im gonna do something for the first time, i might as well do it right, right?
[h2]UPDATE:[/h2]
Sup guys. So I went to J Crew today and they dont offer suits in stores. What happens is they'll measure you and order for your size. So I got measured and the lady told me im 35'. So she said i can either get a 34s or 36s but she recommended the 34s.

Also, my pants waist was 28 but the site only offers a 28x32 so i plan on getting that and then getting them hemmed.

But what should i get for the jacket? a 34s or 36s? is the difference that big?

my height is 5'6 and I weigh about 130 lb. 

Last edited:
I have one and a jacket, overpriced if purchased at full MSRP. However, there are always discount codes floating around.

Great suit if you can get it for $350-400.

Oh yeah, on another note, these are very modern/slim cuts with narrow lapels. If you are not slim or in shape, they will not be flattering.

Last edited:
I really wanted this tweed jacket from them last year but it sold out fast.. now I can't find it anywhere.

Are they worth the price? I been hearing great reviews about them and how J Crew really stepped it up but I want some NT'ers review on it too.

Anyone own one? I dont have a suit and I plan on investing in one nice one. If im gonna do something for the first time, i might as well do it right, right?

I would recommend. Use a student discount when getting one though.

View media item 530449

I have bought at least two every year for the past three years. This year I think they have found their identity - you can tell the evolution from three years ago to now in terms of cut and material.

I agree that they're probably not worth the $650 retail, but wait for a discount and splurge on the tailor and you could have something that could stay in your wardrobe for years.

I have one and a jacket, overpriced if purchased at full MSRP. However, there are always discount codes floating around.

Great suit if you can get it for $350-400.

Oh yeah, on another note, these are very modern/slim cuts with narrow lapels. If you are not slim or in shape, they will not be flattering.
Thanks. Im 5'6 and 135 (yea... short) so i think i should be fine.

This is what im eyeing at:

Yup, go for it if you can get it for a good price.  Worst comes to worst, and you can't wait for a sale, use the 15% student discount...

Yup, go for it if you can get it for a good price.  Worst comes to worst, and you can't wait for a sale, use the 15% student discount...
Yup about to do that. But quick question, I dont know my measurements at all lol. If i go into the J Crew store, is there someone who will measure me and etc.?

Yup about to do that. But quick question, I dont know my measurements at all lol. If i go into the J Crew store, is there someone who will measure me and etc.?

Not at the store since they don't have a tailor, but you can just try on suits to see which one fits best.

They should be able to measure you, but they're limited in what they do for alterations.  Try on a 34 S or 36 S for the jacket and maybe a 30x30 pants.  They offer 28x32 and 29x32 on their website, but I think 30 is the smallest waist size they carry in-store.  Once you figure out which fits best, take it an actual tailor and they'll have you wear it and figure out what to alter.  Nordstrom or Macy's might do alterations, so check them out.  You want to go to a tailor that works on suits...

Just go into the store and try them on. They usually have the different sizes on the rack. Try it on, and then ask one of the workers if it fits you (no offense to you, but it takes awhile to develop an 'eye' for whether or not a suit fits). You want it to feel like a suit of armor. The shoulders should fit snug.

I'm the same height except heavier (145 Lbs) with an athletic build. I have broad shoulders and a big chest with a progressivley narrow torso/waist and I got the 36s with 28x32 pants. Pants look great after a hem so don't worry too much about the inseam, didn't need to taper them at all, just a simple hem. I couldn't fit the 34s simply because it was too tight on the shoulders and the jacket pulled a little too much. 36s would have been perfect but the length is just slightly a little too long. But post alterations everything worked out well. 

Alterations I had to do were: Shortening of the sleeves, shortening of the jacket(although very minimal), and hem the pants. I got the Worsted Italian Wool one in Navy.

Hope that helps OP

Go with the 34s.  I'm the same height, but a little heavier and the 34s fits me perfectly.  My chest doesn't protrude, so the 36s was a little loose there...

I'm the same height except heavier (145 Lbs) with an athletic build. I have broad shoulders and a big chest with a progressivley narrow torso/waist and I got the 36s with 28x32 pants. Pants look great after a hem so don't worry too much about the inseam, didn't need to taper them at all, just a simple hem. I couldn't fit the 34s simply because it was too tight on the shoulders and the jacket pulled a little too much. 36s would have been perfect but the length is just slightly a little too long. But post alterations everything worked out well. 

Alterations I had to do were: Shortening of the sleeves, shortening of the jacket(although very minimal), and hem the pants. I got the Worsted Italian Wool one in Navy.

Hope that helps OP
Wow. Thanks so much my man. This really helped. I think im gonna go for the 34s simply because im 15lb lighter than you and my shoulders arent broad at all 
laugh.gif

mean.gif

But one more question. When you got the pants, did you buy them hemmed or unhemmed?

Cause my waist is 28 and only the hemmed option offers a waist of 28... If I do get the hemmed ones, i can still alternated right?

Wow. Thanks so much my man. This really helped. I think im gonna go for the 34s simply because im 15lb lighter than you and my shoulders arent broad at all 
laugh.gif

mean.gif

But one more question. When you got the pants, did you buy them hemmed or unhemmed?

Cause my waist is 28 and only the hemmed option offers a waist of 28... If I do get the hemmed ones, i can still alternated right?
YEah you can get them hemmed whichever ones you buy, so don't worry.

Glad I could help! Hope it all works out my man

YEah you can get them hemmed whichever ones you buy, so don't worry.

Glad I could help! Hope it all works out my man
thats good to hear. thanks so much! 
pimp.gif

Go with the 34s.  I'm the same height, but a little heavier and the 34s fits me perfectly.  My chest doesn't protrude, so the 36s was a little loose there...
Yea i was thinkin on the 34 and now you just closed the deal for me. Thanks man! 
nthat.gif

Back
Top Bottom