Jake Peavy REJECTS trade to White Sox (starts on PG.5)

Originally Posted by Proshares

KB8 how does their farm system/younger players look?
In regards to the Padres?

Terrible.

The only thing I guess that we have somewhat exciting to look forward to are Adis Portillo, Luis Domoromo, and Alvaro Aristy. Then again, God knows what thehell will happen with the Padres luck in developing players.

So far Headley and Hundley have been somewhat productive coming out last season.

Looking to see how this Mat Latos kid turns out also.

Yeah, there's no way they got Poreda AND Beckham... Poreda himself makes the deal worth it, IMO... Lefties that can bring that kind of heat with the kindof movement he gets are few and far between...

And for anyone hoping to pry away Gonzalez... Why would they trade a guy they control at bargain basement prices through 2011? You don't trade premierposition players on those kind of contracts unless somebody blows you away...

For the Mets, think Fernando Martinez, Wilmer Flores, and Jon Niese... And frankly, I'm not sure that gets it done because I think they'd preferpitching to position players, and the Mets don't have the assets...

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

I'll stop when we win a World Series
laugh.gif

Do it Mitch!
Mark DeRosa and Jamey Carroll ought to get it done.
laugh.gif

Speaking of DeRosa, Joel Sherman of the New York Post wonders if a deal involving him, Jamey Carroll, and J.J. Putz could be worked out between the Mets and Indians. He says Carroll is an Omar Minaya favorite.

With how depleted the bench is right now I wouldn't mind making a move for DeRosa or Carroll but they do not belong in the same sentence as JJPutz. That's an Isiah Thomas like trade.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Yeah, there's no way they got Poreda AND Beckham... Poreda himself makes the deal worth it, IMO... Lefties that can bring that kind of heat with the kind of movement he gets are few and far between...

Sox fans would riot if Beckham was invovled in the deal

If Peavy vetoes the trade, I can live with that

ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by ElijahDukes

I can see what happened to CC happening to Peavy. Milking off the easy NL hitting then getting tossed around in the AL
roll.gif
laugh.gif
Nevermind that CC Sabathia was pretty damn dominant in Cleveland before getting traded to the Padres...

And nevermind that CC Sabathia has been great in his last three starts...

He starts slow every year... Why are you surprised by that this year?
Because he doesn't know %$%% about baseball and only rides Mr. Dukes
laugh.gif

As long as Peavy isn't pitching for the North siders, I am good
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Hey the Padres do have Kyle Blanks in there system who could be just as good as Adrian.
They're talking about making that ogre an outfielder for now.
laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
For real? Ain't he like 6'5 300? How the #$+! he gonna roam the OF inPetco and even be serviceable?

Kyle Blanks should play for the Chargers.

There is no way the White Sox would let themselves be fleeced by giving up both.

194502460_e8a463107a.jpg
300px-Kyle_Blanks.JPG

Son looks pretty sloppy, should have been a right tackle
laugh.gif

Apparently he is really athletic despite his significant amount of "chuckiness", but I will say this people said Snider should be a DH and he is areally good out fielder and other than Rios is probably the fastest guy on the team.
laugh.gif
but Snider use to be a running back.

Who knows, man.

He's not a complete truck, but I just can't imagine that idea sticking.

I just imagine C.C. roaming the outfield when I think about it.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by FLINTGREY

i just don't get the deal, personally. the sox are in second to last, 5.5 back in a really bad division. the indians (in last) have the talent to leapfrog them anytime soon…

it is just not in the sox nature to pay for a big time pitcher. case in point…when the sox were champs in 05, their best pitchers were home grown, not free agents. buehrle (16-8 ) and garland (18-10) came up thru the farm system. their third best starter was contreras, who basically was on the sox most of his career (minus two yrs with yanks)....then their fourth best was their top free agent prize freddy garcia (who was 14-
glasses.gif
. yeah, freddy stepped up in the playoffs that year....but he wasn't their best pitcher but was sure getting paid like one.

now look at what he's due…. peavy's making $11 million this season. his earnings increase to $15 million in 2010, $16 million in 2011 and $17 million in 2012. padres hold a team option for $22 million in 2013 with a $4 million buyout. think the sox will pay that?

and the sox are still mortgaging the future. the principal of the deal is aaron poreda, their #1 pitching prospect.

add in that peavy will get shelled at us cellular field, plus deal with ozzie's antics. peavy even said his wishlist was West Coast or Midwest. no AL teams on his trade wishlist…

I think the deal sucks for both ends. he goes from a crappy team to an even crappier one. sorry for the rant…I swear its not the cubs fan in me talking...lol

laugh.gif

cubs fans...

Anyways, your points don't really make sense. You state that the division is really bad. That's a positive!

It's not in their nature to make trades?? You do realize Kenny Williams eats, sleeps, and breathes trades, right??

They are NOT mortgaging their future. Poreda is NOT a top-of-the-rotation guy. He may end up in the bullpen. Guys like Beckham, Flowers, Jordan Danks, andViciendo are the future. Starting pitching is where the farm system is weak. That's why Kenny is making this deal.

Their is a need for a frontline starter, and Kenny is going for it. Makes sense. Payroll has been cleared.

And the Sox are not crappier than San Diego. Again, that's the cubs fan in you...

Deal is done. Peavy just needs to accept. If it happens, GREAT. If not, it's because peavy is a #$%%@ and is afraid to pitch in the AL. Therefore, heshouldn't have come anyways...

It's not in their nature to make trades?? You do realize Kenny Williams eats, sleeps, and breathes trades, right??
That isn't what he said.
Poreda is NOT a top-of-the-rotation guy.

That's not true.
Starting pitching is where the farm system is weak. That's why Kenny is making this deal.
Trading 2-4 young starting pitchers for a 29 year old starting pitcher doesn't exactly justify your point.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Much less a 29 year old starting pitcher whose elbow is widely viewed as a ticking timebomb...

And
laugh.gif
@ Aaron Poreda not being a top of the rotation guy... Again, big lefties controlling 95-96 MPH fastballs with good great movement and quality (albeitstill needing work) off-speed stuff don't grow on trees... Aaron Poreda is an extremely high-quality pitching prospect, and he's definitely a potentialfront-of-the-rotation arm...

laugh.gif
Much less a 29 year old starting pitcher whose elbow is widely viewed as a ticking timebomb...

And
laugh.gif
@ Aaron Poreda not being a top of the rotation guy... Again, big lefties controlling 95-96 MPH fastballs with good great movement and quality (albeit still needing work) off-speed stuff don't grow on trees... Aaron Poreda is an extremely high-quality pitching prospect, and he's definitely a potential front-of-the-rotation arm...
His movement is nowhere near as good as advertised and he has ZERO secondary pitches.

How many times have you seen him pitch?

Originally Posted by SleepyBlueDemon

His movement is nowhere near as good as advertised and he has ZERO secondary pitches.

A couple... And I've read more than a fair share of scouting reports...

A dude with a straight fastball and no secondary pitches doesn't dominate the minor leagues and compete for a big league roster spot in Spring Trainingwith only one minor league season under his belt...
grin.gif

Originally Posted by SleepyBlueDemon

A couple... And I've read more than a fair share of scouting reports...

A dude with a straight fastball and no secondary pitches doesn't dominate the minor leagues and compete for a big league roster spot in Spring Training with only one minor league season under his belt...
grin.gif
That's also a testament to the lack of starting pitching in the White Sox farm system...

It's got almost nothing to do with the White Sox lack of pitching in the system...

Having more depth in the system wouldn't change the fact he's been a damn good pitcher in the minor leagues, a top 20 pitching prospect in baseball,and a Top 100 prospect overall in all of baseball...

It's got almost nothing to do with the White Sox lack of pitching in the system...

Having more depth in the system wouldn't change the fact he's been a damn good pitcher in the minor leagues, a top 20 pitching prospect in baseball, and a Top 100 prospect overall in all of baseball...
Not denying he's a top 100 prospect. Peavy isn't gonna be had for peanuts. Just don't think he'll be a top-of-the-rotation guy. No secondary pitches can't cut it in the majors. Peavy is. The organization agrees, hence the trade.

Back
Top Bottom